the absolute best ever Three Dog Night song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

So many great songs, but my first would be "Easy to Be Hard", a showstopper if there ever was one ! That last third alone when the vocals and music rises up to a crescendo is just amazing

Close second is "Never Been To Spain", with its picture perfect country rock arrangement

joelee likes this.
  2. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

Three terrific vocalists. Any of them could have been lead singer in a band in their own right.

Keith todaro and Lexhibit like this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Probably not on most folks favorite list but I took to the b-side "Dreaming Isn't Good For You" as a kid. My mom had the 45. "Easy To Be Hard" clicked me with me later though. Sort of a toss-up between those two. "Old Fashioned Love Song" is pretty great. Plus it sounds like mid 70's Bowie before mid 70's Bowie.

4. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

This would also be my pick

5. Biscuit Warehouse

Biscuit Warehouse Forum Resident

Even tho most people have no idea who he is, he’s probably #3 on my favorite-drummer list after Neil Peart and Gene Krupa.

This is going to sound like I’m trying to be funny but I’m serious: his use of the cowbell was subtle and awesome. Love that guy.

Drummer49 and Lexhibit like this.
  6. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

"It Ain't Easy" to name just one, but...

7. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Saw Chuck Negron live about 20 years ago wow! what a voice. I was pretty impressed and NONE of the keys were lowered/altered (like Collins, Joel, Elton etc.). Saw "2 dog night" Danny and Cory the same year good but Chuck was the "voice" that was very clear.

8. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Not the kind of band, where I can just pick the one hit or track as my favorite.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

really good band that actually suffered because their biggest hit was so terrible no one wanted to heart them anymore after that.

10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I know what you mean, but not true. They had another dozen big hits after Joy To The World, which sold conservatively 7 million copies, so someone must have liked it and them. They had another 6 or 7 gold albums in a row after that song over the next, five years. Their concert grosses and attendance remained high. I saw them 3 years after Joy To The World, in front of 18,000 sold out, at the LA forum.

What you're saying is the song cost them Street cred. Maybe so, but they had another dozen gold singles and albums afterwards, so it's all relative.

11. Can’t say enough about how spectacular this band was. My pick for best song:

souldeep69 and Keith todaro like this.
  12. MMan1

MMan1 Forum Resident

Liar

13. Disagree wholeheartedly. So far off base it’s laughable.

O Don Piano likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yep.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

listen to argent's version, also very good.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so you think three dog night had the same fan base after 'joy to the world' as they did before?

i was there, i had all their albums, bought 'naturally' (with 'joy'_ and then 'harmony', because 'old fashioned love song' was vintage three dog night, but they just couldn't keep it going, most likely record company pressure for another 'joy;, i'm sure. ...then i quit, as did most everyone i knew.

the only three dog night song you ever heard after it came out was 'joy'.......it totally ruined them.

18. I’m sorry but I don’t recall writing or posting the quote you attribute to me that you replied “yep” to?

I don’t see it that way and it’s totally a subjective theory. I do know they continued to sell out arenas and had massive record sales after Joy. We can agree to disagree.

19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Haven't listened to them since I was a pre teen in the early 70s. But back then I liked Black and White, Shambala, and An Old Fashioned Love Song for the organ.

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"One Man Band" is incredible, from its almost serene beginning through its relentless intensification to its spiraling conclusion. Guitarist Mike Allsup gets his moment in the sun.

Not to take anything away from 3DN as singers and musicians, but Producer Richie Polodor deserves atomic kudos for his production, both calculated and inspired.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oh, I'd say that Richie gets MORE than 50% credit on the great hit singles.

22. Drummer49

Drummer49 Forum Resident

I agree with you , love Floyd Sneed, one of my favorite drummers, as for the cowbell, one of my favorite Three Dog Night songs is Out in the Country, love the live version on Around the World album, great drumming on the song with some cowbell sprinkled in on a couple fills, again just love his playing!

23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Completely untrue.

24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Correct on all counts!
    Mike Allsup's ideas and playing were lots of fun and very challenging to try to replicate when i was in a 3DN tribute band.

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I did have a fun time with a girl in high school while Never Been to Spain played in the background. Can’t say anymore since it was NSFW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.