The Action - The Complete Recordings 1964-1968 4CD coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Dunning, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

It's on the Guerssen label. They had released a great edition of July's psychedelic masterpiece some years ago. In my opinion it's a great label.

see: http://www.guerssen.com/catalogue.php?ide=31481

cwitt1980 and Daveymoore like this.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

So regarding the last 8 tracks on Disc 4 labeled "("Edsel" mix)" , are those unique mixes done for a previous reissue on the Edsel label?

Or something else?

Mark

3. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Standard mixes available for ages. All previous CD editions of Martin stuff used 80's remixes (save for first single which is the only contemporary mono mixes on those cds)

4. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Same here @Daveymoore, I saw them there also but couldn't remember the name of the club 'til your post. Strangely I only have a few tracks of theirs scattered across several '60's compilations so I'm definitely in for this.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Looks amazing. I'm in.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I assume the In The Lap Of The Mods book is unlikely to see a no frills reissue anytime soon? I really wanted that one.

7. hallucalation

Still available from book site..

8. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

This website used to mention The Jigsaw Club and The Action but is being redeveloped at the moment and hopefully both of these will reappear in the future.
    Home

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Oh, yes!!

10. hallucalation

Note that vinyl version contains stereo remixes, not mono stuff

11. Daveymoore

From way back

[​IMG]

marmalade166 and Mark Wilson like this.
  12. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Funny, I don't see Sandra Barry & The Boys doing 'Really Gonna Shake' in the box set.

Daveymoore likes this.
  13. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Apologies if this takes the thread off -topic but I'm so jealous of you gents. Did either of you get to see Small Faces or Fleur De Lys ?

Mark Wilson likes this.
  14. Daveymoore

No need to be jealous, it means that I am old enough to have been there. I did see the Small Faces at a venue called the New Century Hall in Manchester which was inside a modern office block owned by the Co Op. It was renowned for having a sprung dance floor and had a lot of top acts but lacked the atmosphere of the small clubs.
    At the time Small Faces vs The Action as a live act - I preferred The Action.

15. Daveymoore

andybeau likes this.
  16. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident Thread Starter

An old girlfriend of mine's Mum saw The Small Faces several times, they were not a great live act, in fact fairly shambolic from what I gather.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

This is an interesting concept, attempting to present what the band's full length album might have been...but only four of the tracks are not previously released A and B sides. If this actually had been released as an album in 1967, it certainly wouldn't have done their legacy any favors.

18. oates

oates Forum Resident

Given that it already exists in two versions, it is doubtful unless they produce a paperback version of the basic version. I was disappointed that the big complete session / broadcast / gig listing was only part of the expensive £75 version and not the £35 version. Having said that the cheaper version is a pretty lavish affair with great photos etc. It does lack a proper narrative, however, and mostly uses a succession of quotations and anecdotes.

Chris M likes this.
  19. oates

oates Forum Resident

I don't think we can assume an Action LP would have used so many previously released tracks. There was a tradition (very strong in the UK at the time) that LPs had mostly exclusive material to contemporary singles, bar an odd song. Think of The Who's A Quick One or the Stones' Out of Our Heads (no duplication of singles at all). Having said that, the band would have been under some pressure to come with enough original material - they seemed to be slow starters in that regard.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I agree completely, and I don't think this is at all an accurate representation of what might have been. Cherry Red's description states "THE NEW ACTION imagines what the band’s album – which was announced at the time in the press – might have been like had it actually been released." But I think this "imagining" is far-fetched, to say the least.

21. MisterPleasant

MisterPleasant Forum Resident

Those singles produced by George Martin have a soulful charm, and it will be great to have them with pristine sound. But for me, it is what came after that really floats my boat. “Rolled Gold” hit me like the hammer of the gods when I first discovered it about five years ago. It was a mockery of justice that EMI turn down those demos. The fact that they were saved and eventually released is a true miracle. From the moment I first heard it I knew it was going to go on my desert disks list.

Matt Collar’s review at All Music states the case perfectly:

“Playing like the brilliant missing link between mod and psychedelic rock, Rolled Gold is experimental without being silly or twee and emotionally mature without being pompous and boring. It is the type of album that reveals its brilliance within seconds of hearing the first track and builds momentum from there. Tracks such as "Something to Say" and especially "Brain" with Reggie pleading for immortality over a hugely anthemic chord progression are as good, if not better, than anything that charted during the late '60s and sound less dated than many of the Action's contemporaries' efforts. It's as if Paul Weller time-traveled back to 1967 and wrote the best songs of his career. Every track is a fully realized melodic and lyrical statement. While there is a roughness to the demo-quality recording, it only magnifies the raw emotions the Action were able to translate into timeless music -- music that deserved much better than it got.”

22. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Just got an email that my copy is getting ready to ship. Excited for this one.

Mark

andybeau and skydropco like this.
  23. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Rolled Gold is an incredible (non) album. Just fantastic songs couples with inspired performances. AllMusic is on the money here.

I read somewhere the songs on it were demos that George Martin was supposed to produce later on. If he didn't have time, he should have seen to it that someone produced these songs and got them out. What a great record. Possibly my favorite record of '68 and it wasn't even released. "STRANGE ROADS!"

24. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Just got my notice of "out for delivery" from Amazon. Hopefully will have time to do a quick review today.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  25. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

CD box set and vinyl arrived today. Looking forward to listening to this. :pineapple:

Mark Wilson and riknbkr330 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.