The Action - The Complete Recordings 1964-1968 4CD coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Dunning, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Just played the LP, excellent sound, strange to hear some of these tracks in stereo for the first time. Good to see the sleeve is flipback, a 2 flap type, top and bottom.
    (I wonder if there is an official different type name to differentiate between 2 flaps and 3 flaps?)
    I can see that this will be be getting a lot of play over the coming weeks/months.

andybeau likes this.
  2. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Just made it through disc 1 and I could hear better clarity than all my previous versions of the released stuff.

Just as background, I have the Edsel LP "Ultimate Action" which I bought back in 1981, the CD "Action Packed", I used to have the Edsel CD but traded that in. I have itunes copy of "Rolled Gold".

Here's the DR information on disc 1 for those interested in such things:

foobar2000 1.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-10-26 16:24:11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Action / Shadows & Reflections: The Complete Recordings 1964-1968 Disc 1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 -4.78 dB -12.52 dB 2:51 01-Land Of One Thousand Dances (mono single mix)
    DR6 -5.28 dB -12.21 dB 2:42 02-In My Lonely Room (mono single mix)
    DR6 -5.28 dB -12.21 dB 3:12 03-I'll Keep Holding On (mono single mix)
    DR6 -4.78 dB -11.21 dB 2:29 04-Hey Sah Lo Ney (mono single mix)
    DR5 -4.78 dB -10.94 dB 2:42 05-Baby You've Got It (mono single mix)
    DR7 -3.78 dB -12.10 dB 3:43 06-Since I Lost My Baby (mono single mix)
    DR6 -4.78 dB -12.12 dB 2:47 07-Never Ever (mono single mix)
    DR6 -4.78 dB -12.50 dB 2:45 08-Twentyfourth Hour (mono single mix)
    DR5 -4.28 dB -11.30 dB 2:49 09-Shadows And Reflections (mono single mix)
    DR5 -5.98 dB -12.63 dB 3:13 10-Something Has Hit Me (mono single mix)
    DR6 -5.48 dB -12.22 dB 3:21 11-The Harlem Shuffle (mono single mix)
    DR6 -4.98 dB -11.71 dB 2:51 12-Wasn't It You (mono single mix)
    DR6 -4.48 dB -11.69 dB 2:30 13-The Place (mono mix)
    DR6 -4.48 dB -10.89 dB 2:21 14-The Cissy (mono mix)
    DR7 -4.48 dB -12.17 dB 3:19 15-I Love You (Yeah!) (mono mix)
    DR7 -4.48 dB -12.38 dB 2:22 16-Come On, Come With Me (mono mix)
    DR9 -3.50 dB -15.33 dB 2:45 17-Just Once In My Life (mono mix)
    DR9 -4.50 dB -14.55 dB 2:48 18-Mine Exclusively (BBC session)
    DR8 -4.50 dB -14.20 dB 3:18 19-Interview-Baby You've Got It (BBC session)
    DR7 -4.50 dB -13.17 dB 2:30 20-Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While) (BBC session)
    DR8 -4.50 dB -13.66 dB 3:07 21-I See You (BBC session)
    DR8 -3.87 dB -13.24 dB 3:08 22-Shadows And Reflections (BBC session)

Number of tracks: 22
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 550 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

So yes, it is compressed, but the clarity of the tracks outweigh this problem.

I just put on the "Rolled Gold" disc...#3...and I'm a bit concerned about it's loudness. I'll run the DR numbers a little later.

On a positive...the songs are fantastic, and really isn't that what's it all about?

3. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I'm too young to have seen either group, but in the 1980s I saw Steve Marriott (and the DTs) at the Band On The Wall in Manchester, not far from the New Century Hall where another contributor saw the Small Faces in the 1960s. It was a great concert, and my abiding memory is of Steve, during "All Or Nothing", stepping away from the microphone and going in front of it to sing the song, and he was just as loud without the amplification.

I love the Action, having played my copy of "The Ultimate Action" to death. Their songs have a sweet but haunting quality. I've never heard "Rolled Gold" but I've got an LP called "Action Speak Louder Than". and I've got the Mighty Baby LPs too. I'll get hold of the box set before long.

I follow a blog called "Anorak Thing" which is written by an Action obsessive:

Anorak Thing: Search results for the action

Chris M likes this.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I’m new to the band and just got my copy of the 4 CD box tonight. Hoping to listen tomorrow if all goes well!

I’m guessing Discs 1 & 4 are all mono while 2 & 3 mostly stereo?

What exactly are the “Edsel” mixes at the end of Disc 4?

Look forward to reading everyone’s thoughts!

Mark

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Mark Wilson

I’m curious, are the stereo mixes more vintage or modern in style? An odd duck maybe but I like most of those older mixes myself.

Mark

6. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Probably modern style, quoting Cherry Red
    "The fresh discovery of multi-tracks has allowed new stereo mixes to be created for the first time ever. This is the Action like you’ve never heard them before!"

Having bought the "Holding On" single when it was first released I am obviously used to mono so the stereo comes as a bit of a shock but in a good way.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  7. granata

granata Forum Resident

Went to a beer festival there, only a few years ago! This thread has convinced me to buy this set.

8. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Alec Palao...so you know it will be a top-quality release.

Hep Alien, smallworld and granata like this.
  9. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Listened to the first CD last night and very impressed. The box with included book is good, my only complaint is how tight the CDs are in the case. Looking forward to listening to the rest.

10. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

This mixes wasn't released on CD. You don't had them before unless you had Ultimate Action compilation from 1981 or original Parlophone singles

11. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Disc 1 is all mono. Disc 2 is stereo except for the extras that are included after the finished songs. Disc 3 is mostly mono as all that's known to survive of the Rolled Gold material are rough mono mixes; the only stereo tracks on disc 3 are the ones that were recorded in Summer 1968 (tracks 15 to 19). Disc 4 is mono except for the Edsel mixes, which are narrow stereo (everything is centred but there is noticeable stereo reverb on the vocals and some of the overdubs).

Here's what the liner notes say regarding the Edsel mixes:
    "The first repackage of The Action was in 1980 with The Ultimate Action vinyl compilation on Edsel Records, along with a pair of attendant singles. These used copies of the original mixes (albeit some taken from disc), but when the collection was issued on compact disc in 1990, they were substituted by remixes. George Martin reportedly supervised these, but in several cases they differ considerably from the original balances. These later versions are what have represented The Action on every subsequent reissue and, collectors and hardcore fans aside, anyone who has discovered The Action since will likely only be familiar with these mixes."

It's a mixture of both.

Hep Alien and Mark Wilson like this.
  12. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I do have Ultimate Action.

13. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

I thought the remixes on 'Action Packed' sounded like crap. I always reverted back to 'The Ultimate Action'. I'm looking forward to the box set being my go to from now on.

Bowland likes this.
  14. Mark Wilson

Thanks very much for the detailed responses!

Mark

patient_ot likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hmmm. I love this band but the DR doesn't look so hot. I understand mono often has lower DR but still. Looking forward to more opinions on this before I decide whether or not to buy.

John Porcellino likes this.
  16. hallucalation

LOL, you get new stereo remixes, session material, first time ever original mono mixes from singles on CD and you are concerned more about DR numbers?

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My experience with Cherry Red related reissues has been mixed in general, so that's not all I'm concerned about. But yeah, those numbers are not encouraging.

Hep Alien and John Porcellino like this.
  18. hallucalation

Release is curated by Alec Palao, it is not "another" Cherry Red release.
    I wonder how people listened to vinyl in pre-digital era without knowing exact DR numbers, horrible times..

19. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Last night I listened to the disc 2 stereo mixes and I was quite content. No DR measurements, just pure listening enjoyment, and my system can keep me listening for hours.
    The separation of instruments and voices really make this disc very, very enjoyable. Pretty much the price of admission for me.

20. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Memories, memories. Quaintways, Chester (The Wall City Jazz Club) Monday nights in the mid '60s.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  21. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I certainly recommend them.
    pretty muscular rhythm section though guitar doesn't figure that prominently until the psychedelic era.
    Band went onto be MIghty Baby where it figures more pronouncedly .
    Line up changes a bit along the way.
    So great mod era band with psychedelic stuff slowly creeping in and then there's the unreleased Brain lp which I'm not sure goes beyond demoes though it was polished up quite well for release as the Rolled Gold lp.
    Looking forward to getting hold of a copy of this, a bit broke to rush out and grab it right now but I think it is comprehensive.

& only way you could really expand on it is to collect all the Mighty Baby, Habbibiya and Reg King solo stuff.
    Not sure fi we talked about this band before but it is one I've loved since picking up the Edsel Ultimate Action set in the early 80s.

Hep Alien and Jim Duckworth like this.
  22. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Not sure this is totally on topic but a big shout out from me for the self titled Reg King solo album which is a glorious mess of a record. It's badly produced and at times impenetrable but I love it!

23. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

This box set has been on my wish list at amazon for little while now. I kept looking at the $45.00 price tag and put off ordering, wanting to get it for less.
    Long story short, I decided to pull the trigger, so I go to my amazon list and the buggers had raised the price to $65.00 :realmad: very bad as far as I'm concerned.
    I have been on amazon prime for quite a while now and noticed all their pricing on music keeps escalating! I'm not a fan of Walmart, but they had it in stock
    for $43.00 with free 2 day shipping, I ordered it at Walmart. :D

Bowland likes this.
  25. Mark Wilson

Opened the box last night. My first impression was “how the heck do I get the disc out?!”

After I figured that out I listened to all of Disc 1 and really enjoyed it! Some great stuff and my first exposure to the band.

I plan to listen again this weekend back-to-back with the stereo versions on Disc 2.

Mark

Tim S, Hep Alien and andybeau like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.