“The Aesthetics of Remastering Reissues”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Terrific round table interview from TAPE OP:
    The Aesthetics of Remastering Reissues

I love this, from Josh Bonati: “On the consumer side, there is this two-part assumption that annoys me: 1. There are original analog tapes for everything. 2. These holy grail analog tapes are the perfect, pure sound that has been withheld from the public until now. Both of these assumptions are false. There are not analog tapes for everything, and they do not always sound good. I understand the marketing reason for stickering ‘From the Original Tapes!’ on the LP jacket, but it's getting a bit silly. We're reissuing projects from the '90s and early 2000s now. A lot of those were mixed to DAT, not analog tape, and that's just the way it is. I have yet to see a ‘From the Original DATs!’ sticker on a LP. I dare someone to do it.”

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Analogue shmanalogue

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Interesting read, albeit probably nothing new for many here.

I think the statement "I've tried to chase what other people are looking for, or what I think listeners might expect, and it never ends well", is a telling one. There are all kinds of expectations humped upon the backs of these guys, when we as fans don't really have any insight into what's been requested, and what these people are having to work with.

Take for example the various threads/comments demanding "all analog" Vinyl. Obviously in this day and age that's asking too much. It may be possible, but even when it is it's not a gaurantee things will go well - take Bowie's catalog as an example, and instance where those tapes don't seem to be in a good condition overall (and his discography is far from being the worst!)

I think the work some of these people do is amazing. One of the guys there works with Dust to Digital, and I can't imagine what absolute rubbish they get ahold of for "remastering". I have many of their sets, and they're releasing cylinders and 78's pretty regularly. We're lucky digital has progressed so well.

Actually, we're lucky digital is there now, period. Tape had its day, but by their own admission, the tapes haven't held up all that well over the last 50 years. Plus the special storage they need, and equipment needed. Digital beats that hands down, imo.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well, I don’t really appreciate his opinion. We’re not all dumb...we understand. We want the best sounding source. We know that the original tapes might be no good...we get it.

Our expectation is that the best source be used. But you darn well better check the original master tape, because if you don’t, and it’s really good, you haven’t done your homework, you’re lazy, and I have no time for your lack of care and diligence.

G B Kuipers, cporcp, Jon_UK and 16 others like this.
  5. Ben Adams

Boy, that's pretty sensitive. Who used the word "dumb"? Now, tell me - how do you know, exactly, if the master tape was available and in good shape or not?

No wonder so many mastering engineers have stuck their head in here for a few posts and then bailed.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'd agree - so many assumptions are made, aren't they? On the one hand, people want the b est copy of what's on the original masters, but if there's something damaged, they want it fixed. Along with that comes the assumption that little work is ever needed.

Can you imagine sitting in a studio, with a baked copy of the master for Album X, knowing that it's pretty much the last run of the tape through the machine? Damn. These "all analog" people are on a hiding to nothing, imo.

7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I dunno. I guess it seemed pretty reasonable to assume Zeppelin, Floyd, The Who (and the like) original masters were on analog tape. Talking about the questionable condition of those tapes is valid, and I get their frustration, but I don't think anyone here (for example) think modern masters are anything but digital.

cporcp and dobyblue like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You bet I’m sensitive about this. If you’re using the best source, it’s acceptable. If you’re not, it ain’t.

If you tell us the best available source was used, great. How many reissues tell us they’re from the best available source? Not many, hardly any. So we keep shelling out for inferior product, because some of these companies aren’t up front.

We’re not dumb, and we will understand if it’s explained.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. Ben Adams

Seems like a complaint for the labels, not the engineers.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You’re right, it is. But what Mr. Bonati is irked with is the record buying public. He, and we, shouldn’t be upset with each other...it’s the companies we are really ticked with.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've shared this story before, but I worked on an LP mastering project at a well known facility in SoCal a couple of years back that involved a band that recorded in ProTools, mixed/edited in ProTools, mastered in ProTools, then dumped the digital master over to 30 ips 1/2" tape (1 reel per LP side) so that the record company could put a "mastered from the analog master tapes" hype sticker on the front cover. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on, folks.

I was at the same facility when tapes came through for a reissue project that had glaring tape damage on track one, and the problem could have easily been fixed via a simple digital splice from an existing digital version, but after phone calls and e-mails, the ruling came down: Cut from the analog tape, period. I guarantee you that people have complained and received refunds on that LP....but it's all-analog.

You know the old line about "Unless you actually see the baby shooting out, never ever ask a woman if she is expecting?" Well, unless you know with 100% certainty what the actual sources are for an LP (or CD or SACD or download), assume nothing, and be aware that there is a lot of intentionally vague language. I was in the mastering room recently for an LP "greatest hits"-style reissue "from the analog tapes," but they were dubs of the masters (as the copyright holders were, understandably, very protective of the actual masters) of the greatest hits LP tapes (not of the actual original masters for each individual song). Could better lacquer masters have been cut from digital clones of the true original masters for each song, rather than from an analog dub of the dubbed reels that comprised the greatest hits LP reels? That's debatable, of course. I lean toward "yes." Point being, again: Smoke and mirrors in terms of the public relations/info angle. Third-gen analog = "from the analog tapes," (which is "good" for marketing), while first-gen digital from the true masters is perceived, in terms of marketing, as a no-no.

12. Ben Adams

Yep. And why is that?

*looks around this very forum*

Ohhhh yeah.

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I was about to post this article, and did a search because I figured someone would have beaten me to it. :winkgrin:

Interesting read, especially the railing against noise reduction, which I think we can all agree on, if there’s a chance we can agree on anything.

Plan9, e.s. and Ben Adams like this.
  14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Never! :winkgrin:

The DNR applied to mass market music releases, even the most outrageously botched ones, hardly even comes close to some of the butchery applied to "clean up" classic film audio on some DVD reissues :realmad:

coffeetime likes this.
  15. So true, guys, both posts are so on target!

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I just figured never buy a new reissue of a 50s/60s/70s/80s album to make the sure the source is all analog (yes I know some 80s titles were recorded digitally).
    Then again someone might dig up a really good new tape source and take it through the digital chain (a Coltrane album comes to mind).

Buying titles recorded digitally and pressed on vinyl is only an alternative for me when the cd is brickwalled - though the LP might sound like crap too, so it's a gamble.

TonyCzar likes this.
  17. There seems to be an assumption that analogue is automatically wholesome and good while digital is somehow always bad. Obviously this is plain nonsense. I have some incredible sounding digitally recorded LP's. I have also had my share of terrible sounding all analogue LP's. AAA does not guarantee anything where sound quality is concerned.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

I'll take a well done AAA over a well done digital.

Tommyboy and MagneticSouth1966 like this.
  19. Ben Adams

Well-done third gen analogue versus well-done first gen digital, as per MLutthans' post, though?

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

That's not "well done". Well done 1st gen AAA over digital any day.

There is a reason the most respected analog cutters search for the master tape and cut AAA.

aarsonbet, markp, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

We're asking for it?

Wanting to know provenance is asking to be taken for a ride?

recklessczar likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

So would pretty much anyone - it's not the matter under discussion.

That's not actually how it works, even for the most respected cutters. These days, they're generally third parties, under contract to do a job - they don't usually have access to just go in the vault and root around. Ultimately they're at the mercy of what they're provided by a label. Again, see MLutthans' post above. Now, if the label cares enough to provide first gen masters, then hurrah.

23. Ben Adams

In a lot of cases, it's a ride on a hiding to nothing.

SteveM likes this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Can't parse that sentence, but back to the article: I notice no scorn towards those now-retired engineers who told the labels once upon a time that DAT or uMatic or anything in 16-bit was the ultimate in asset preservation.

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting. An example of people who have no credibility or personal pride in what they do.

Are you saying this is common? The top people like Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray, Chris Bellman, have been involved in this sort of thing? I highly doubt that. I bet all of them would tell us that cutting from the ACTUAL analog tape is better sounding than cutting vinyl from digital.

I agree there are some good sounding digital LPs. All of them would have been better if they were AAA.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.