The Affair -- new show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by norman_frappe, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Anyone want to get in a last-minute prediction before the credits roll? Will we get any cameos from the missing cast members? Will it limp across the finish line or attempt something memorable?

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

noah goes into hiding as a fisherman in alaska.

3. mrjinks

Actually, Charlton Heston comes back from the dead to play an elderly Noah...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. mrjinks

Best thing about the finale: Fiona over the final scene.

5. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I mostly liked it.
    First what I could of done without:
    seeing Joanie's sourpuss again or her acting but they used her to bring in elderly Noah.
    They made Cole out to sound bitter and didn't tell his daughter the truth about her Mom.
    Silly that EJ turned out to be Eddie and what was Sierra even doing at wedding?
    That scene with Noah dancing at the end was lol corny.
    So are we to think Colin wasn't bad like in Whitney's perspective?
    Not funny to have a dementia sufferer jump in pool in very cold temps just so they disappear. Kind of icky that they were outside window while their parents were in the bed :/
    What I liked:
    the cast dancing at the wedding, cute.
    Colin was especially good. Liked the song.
    Whitney's wedding dress and look,
    pretty.
    Helen telling Noah the truth.
    Noah buying the Lobster Roll and acknowledging Alison's strengths. (however I don't agree she was present)
    Think him owning it was a tribute to her and the end with him looking out over ocean, too?
    Martin and Trevor not being their usual selves. Martin saying the truth about Whitney, haha.
    Stacey is adorable and I liked that she became a writer!:)
    Glad it's over and the ending wasn't a total mess up, but most of the season was. Your thoughts?

utopiarun and LilacTeardrop like this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

FYI - Ruth Wilson is in the new HBO series debuting tonight; 'His Dark Materials'. If the show can match the reviews of the books it's based on, this might be HBO's next GOT!

7. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Funnily enough I watched both His Dark Materials and the last episode of The Affair last night.

The Affair - well, I feel that episode mainly sucked but did seem to wrap things up. Even if I didn't, my wife seemed to enjoy it so... I notice the camera people seemed to have got hold of a drone and used it quite effectively.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

hard to really critique the finale when i honestly didn't care about the show or its characters at all anymore.

weird how old noah had less wrinkles than current day noah.

GMfan87' likes this.
  9. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

I think the ending was perfect, and I enjoyed each episode even in the fifth season.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  10. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Have to say the ending was really beautifully done -- pretty much made this uneven season worthwhile. Last time I posted my wife and I had nearly given up, but it definitely improved over the last few episodes to a degree I did not expect. There were some truly lovely moments and, while it was overlong, it really spoke to how much the actors (namely Dominic Cooper and especially Maura Tierney) did to make often selfish and sometimes even detestable people likable.

I did feel like the finale (and the prior episode) came out of a different show -- or at least a different place -- than the tenor of the whole series. The messages being imparted and the hopefulness of it was striking. It's basically as if the creators were now doing the show they wanted, but were previously bound by the formula they had established long ago. I mean my wife wanted to know why Whitney all of a sudden became sympathetic with 2 or 3 episodes left in the entire run of the series!

Perhaps if the series had given more thought to its ending this last season could've been consistently good from start to end. As it is, it wasn't, but there's a lot of wonderful moments in its final couple of shows, and I actually felt the finale ranked with the most satisfying concluding episodes of any series I've watched from start to end too.

11. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Human life sometimes runs unevenly. That was perhaps one of the main themes of this wonderful story.

P. S.: Dominic Cooper?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Andy Dursin likes this.
  12. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Yes sorry about that!! Too late to edit.

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I’m glad a few people enjoyed the finale. I had to check, it was around 90 mins running time but felt like at least 3 hours. The writers deserve a good beat down for that pile of crap. Not a likeable person in this season at all with Cole gone. At least him & Ruth Wilson had enough sense to run away from this. Now for the positive. I did have a good laugh at Noah breaking into a dance on the cliff at the end & I'm very happy this series is finally over.

GentleSenator and MartyTem like this.
  14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

If interested NYTimes wrote a good article about finale (sorry I don't have link but should be quick to google)

15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I was deeply moved by the series finale and consider it among the best of such I’ve seen, nearly right up there with Six Feet Under. It was beautifully written and acted, a very fine end to the story.

I was particularly struck by Noah’s life advice and recounting of the past with Joanie. There was so much truth about life, love and human connection, especially about what’s most important, those we love and those who love us back despite our flaws and mistakes. Dominic West was absolutely convincing as the aged Noah, and thank goodness his makeup and prosthetics were done so well unlike the dreadful job done in Luisa earlier this season.

At my age of 56 I’ve now been around long enough, and have had my share of experience with marriage, divorce, remarriage, parenthood and death that the gravity, wisdom and self-acceptance of Noah’s words were deeply felt and packed an emotional wallop I’m still feeling as I write this.

Yes, these were a bunch of characters who could drive us crazy with their faults, but I found myself caring for them all anyway and I will truly miss the show. I would not have thought I’d write that earlier on with the way this season was going, but in the end the writers pulled off the finale the show and it’s audience deserved, and I thank them all.

16. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

17. mrjinks

I can’t believe I was the only one here who thought he looked like Heston in the “aged” look!

18. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Only got to catch it last night. (Sunday, I was tuning into the MTV EMA's to see Green Day & Liam Gallagher. A waste of time, actually. Liam's performance on Jimmy Fallon much better & Green Day's performance was taped.) Agree w/above quotes wholeheartedly! :agree: Last 2 episodes were excellent; not at all the rushed-feeling, disjointed mess the earlier part of the season was at all.

I'd actually thought, for sure, the end would've been w/the kids outside the motel window. At that point, I'd expected fade out & music...was surprised it continued from there. I would've been perfectly pleased/satisfied w/that end...& normally, I don't care for endings where there's still a bit of interpretation left to viewer. However, for this particular series, I thought that end would have been very fitting. I was already coming away from that w/Noah & Helen back together. I really didn't require him @ grave or the closure for Joanie, as I wasn't very invested in her character. However, since they did introduce her, it did nicely tie that up, too & happily. Maybe, that's one reason why I didn't feel those last actual scenes should have been shot/included. Seeing Helen & Noah in motel, kids outside...to me, that was a perfect image to close the series with. It may not have been as tidy & neat, but for these characters, that would have felt more appropriate.

Since it did go beyond...I do think Noah on cliff overlooking ocean was a nod to memory of Allison, after leaving Helen's grave. The 2 women he'd truly loved in his lifetime. Agree Dominic West did a fantastic job of elderly Noah. Yes, makeup/prosthetics very well done. Thankfully; not the blunder of Luisa (awful). Perhaps, different make-up artists assigned.

It's almost as though there was a completely different set of writers on these last 2 episodes. Well-Done.
    ~ The End ~ :winkgrin:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Humbuster, GMfan87' and DigMyGroove like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I must be the only one who thought Luisa's prosthetics were fine but Noah's prosthetics made him look like a California Raisin or something...

I thought the last episode was a mix of predictable, cringe-worthy, unexpected and touching. It served its purpose of squaring the circle of the web of consequential affairs - Noah-Helen, Noah-Alison, Alison-Cole, Helen-Vik, Vik-Sierra, Joanie-EJ (am I missing any?) - and the Whole Of The Moon was the perfect song to center the final episode around.

20. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the finale was. Wasn't expecting to like it at all but it was extremely well done. I kinda hinted to my wife that Noah was redeemed and she was prepared to not like it (something about how white males always got redeemed, lol) but she loved it more than even I did. I still think seasons 3-to the finale are unnecessary though :)

21. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

4 was mostly good though, and what acting Wilson did in the finale of it !
    I liked that Noah honored her character in a few scenes in this season.

22. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

a majorly disappointing, very pat ending to a show that started out great. the whole Ruth Wilson fiasco and subsequent downhill writing were the shows downfall.

GentleSenator and Scotian like this.
  23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I thought the series finale was beautifully done. Wrapped everything up nicely.

I have to say that "The Affair", for me, was one of the finest and most enjoyable series I've watched over the last few years. I enjoyed it tremendously.

24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

After season three, we lost interest in the show and eventually dropped Showtime. Because of the Go-Gos documentary, we did a free 30 day trial and decided to binge the last two season.

Aside from the Joni future storyline which was a slog, I felt really engaged the entire time.

One thing is certain..Man I need more Waterboys in my life!

25. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.