The Affair -- new show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by norman_frappe, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

DISCUSSING S2 Episode 2 (warning for those not watching On Demand)

It does seem unlikely Cole would tell police he was snorting cocaine to help keep awake while driving because he was was out in a cab 24 hours straight with no sleep. But we are still getting such disparate versions of events (Cole and Allison's meeting) that it has to be them relating the story to someone, and embellishing/ modifying it to suit their needs. Allison's version had her not happy at all to see Cole, and actually feeling threatened by him (she asks if he has weapons), while in his version she's very happy to see him.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, I don't think that's the case. In fact, this stopped being the case even in the latter part of the first season and was one of my complaints at the time because the different POVs had lost their original purpose, and thus seemed to be more of a device than integral to the whodunit aspect.

This divergence not only continues in season 2, but it's expanded further by adding in two additional POVs. I've kind of gotten over it though because I think the writers have a better handle on it in season 2 - the narratives seem to be better controlled, more focused (at least so far).

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The latest episode is interesting. I feel sorry for Noah's wife, she's a decent person collapsing under the strain of a failing marriage.

I like Noah less and less each episode. But I liked his story this week. The sister has his number, that's for sure.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Humbuster likes this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Pretty amazing how she becomes a sympathetic character when the story is told from her POV...

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

While Noah remains a narcissistic SOB even from his point of view.

mrjinks, Humbuster and mdm08033 like this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Narcissism is a pretty common thread with Noah and Helen. Helen was born a self-centered spoiled brat of self-centered parents; Noah married into it; their daughter -- and now oldest son -- are following right into everyone's footsteps.

None of the characters are particularly likable.

four sticks, Humbuster and Deesky like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, this is the central theme throughout the series. All the characters are self-absorbed in various ways and cannot go outside themselves to see how they're affecting other people's lives. The POV narratives help to highlight these tendencies. The writing is really very good.

My favorite scene was Helen rocking out to Lucinda Williams’ "Changed the Locks" - it was fun seeing Tierney having fun!

GMfan87' and marcb like this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Interesting to see how a Noah's lawyer ( the always amazing Richard Schiff) in his murder case was originally against him during the custody hearings. While I understand Helen hired him, I'm wondering what's his mindset during all this.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is Helen really that bad? No matter whose POV we've seen, she seems OK to me. Not very happy, but not horrible.

Deesky likes this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

"These people are morons, and I'm making a bucket full of money..."

11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

How could you walk out on Maura Tierney?
    Oh... Ruth Wilson... I get it.

Noah is such a scumbag.
    His sister is hot.
    Hope things work out well for Cole... poor guy.

Humbuster likes this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

we..that was quite an arousing episode :biglaugh:

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well Ruth Wilson doesn't really do anything for me, but the episode was extremely good. Alison's POV was devastatingly good, especially after Helen's rebuke which brings all the previous events into hard focus. Cole's POV was so-so, but when Alison entered the narrative, it dovetailed so perfectly with what went before. Plus we get some development with the murder investigation. All up, excellent episode.

kwadguy likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What do you guys think of the theme song during the title sequence? I really, really dislike it. I'm ambivalent on Fiona Apple for the most part, but something about this tune really puts me off. It seems to pretentious.

Deesky likes this.
  15. modrevolve

We pause the DVR for 30 seconds at the beginning of the show..and then fast forward through the theme song..that's what I think of it :shh:

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's horrible. I also fast forward through it. I find my tolerance for long-form titles sequences these days to be very low. I also skip over the Homeland titles and even Game Of Thrones (despite the claim that they're slightly different each time and that it's supposed to tell you something about the ep). It's a rare long-form title sequence that won't make me FF.

GMfan87' likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Great episode.

The scene between Helen and Allison was outstanding.

It sounds like Helen/Noah's mutual friend wants to invest in The End. I imagine he plays more deeply into the whole thing than we yet know.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Another great episode. I regularly fast forward thru the beginnings, and commercials. I rarely watch a show when it's originally broadcast, save for sports. It was mentioned how the Game Of Thrones opening sequence changes, another that I found interesting this season (the 1st few times, now I ff thru it!) is on Homeland. The Affair just may be my favorite adult-themed show at the moment. As far as Ruth Wilson's concerned, tbt, she was the primary reason I originally wanted to see the show. The reason why was her stunning work on the BBC's outstanding series; Luther. She got 2nd billing after Idris Elba, and she was the bad guy! She's so deliciously evil as the genius killer you can't help but fall in love with her, I know I did!;)

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

horrible song.....always fast forward through it......it is terribly annoying to listen to her voice.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I like it, but my wife always yells at me to fast forward past it. Looks like a lot of you agree with her.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't love the opening song, but it has grown a bit on me over the course of 1.5 seasons. At least it's original theme music, and not a recycled Who song or something like that.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

For someone who got the long end of the stick in life, she seems to think she's the only one who ever got the short end of the stick.

The woe-is-me scene where her self-centered narcissistic mother reluctantly reveals to a completely oblivious Helen that she's been going through the same issues as Helen - but without the drama - summed up Helen for me.

23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I skip it

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

We need a petition to get a forum approved artist in there. ;)

25. modrevolve

So either The Beatles or The Grateful Dead :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.