The Americans sixth and final season approaches...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Other solid B tv series ?

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

4. Eh, B+. My only real complaint was that the show had that look of an ABC, NBC, CBS night-time drama, which is something I despise. The show made up for it in every other department, though.

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I watched season 1, episode 1, and I am rather ambivalent about it. The fact that their neighbor is not only an FBI agent, but one who works in counter intelligence, is a cheap and lazy plot contrivance. What next? I guess he will soon be taking courses to learn the Russian language . . .

We are supposed to believe that Keri Russell is a KGB agent. What a stretch. She has neither the look nor the accent to support such a notion. I can see her as a mouseketeer, but not a Russian agent.

I know, you will say "give it a chance". I will check out the second episode, but if it doesn't pick up real fast, I am going to tell these Russian agents to "go back to the country they came from . . ."

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’d say give up now. I thought the show was terrific, but it’s a “slow burn”, and if you have that many issues after one ep, it’s never going to win you over.

craigr likes this.
  7. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Maybe Pastor Tim will win him over? :evil:

sharedon and mrjinks like this.
  8. mrjinks

I remember that episode where Philip angrily confronts him about religion - I couldn’t believe I was seeing such a ballsy scene on US tv! Or when Paige walked in on mom & dad 69-ing! Or the infamous “Baggage” episode.

They really had fun pushing the envelope for a standard cable tv show. :righton:

Lewisboogie, Gardo and Scopitone like this.
  9. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Nope, I am absolutely not going to say give it a chance. It's unfortunate when someone gets duped into watching such a terrible show - so terrible that even a glance preview etc. would let them know to stay away. I mean we're talking about Mouseketeers here.

mrjinks and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  10. shokhead

What!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

If it was obvious she was a KGB agent, she wouldn't be very good at her job, would she?

12. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Sarcasm.

13. Bender Rodriguez

14. shokhead

Wouldn't know, never watched anything Monty Python.:wave:

15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I thought the second episode was better than the first.
    Well, yes, but remember that woman who was confronted by FBI counter intelligence agent (and turned) -- this is episode 2 of season 1 -- about the stereo store and cavair? She was beautiful (as actresses usually are) and at least somewhat eastern European-looking (if not Russian) . . . in contrast to Keri.

To update, I did think the second episode was better than the first, so I maybe I am -- one episode at a time -- being taken in . . .:o

16. Bender Rodriguez

There's a difference between someone's cover being a Soviet consulate worker and someone's cover being an American citizen. For someone working in the rezidentura, looking and sounding Russian is not a threat to blow her cover.

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:cry::cry::cry:

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Off screen developments are interesting too. Since 2014, these two undercover agents have been in a real life relationship, with a son being born in 2016. The things men have to do to get a wife.

Under cover is a double entendre.

Scopitone likes this.
  19. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

You have the advantage of being able to see a bunch of episodes pretty quickly, so I recommend doing that before deciding.

I had seen the ads for the series prior to the start of the first season, but then I forgot about it until Season 2 was completed, so I ended up binge watching to catch up. It didn't take me long to get immersed, and the show was in its stride by then.

Doug

Scopitone and townsend like this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Wouldn't this have been a great theme song for the series?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Yes, Nina is unforgettable. Much more of her to come in the series.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I often wondered what a guy in a small stereo store did with caviar? Is he just nuts for caviar? Is he somehow connected to rich people that will pay $500 an oz for caviar. How would he have such connections - he's just a joe 6 pack in a fairly crappy little business. I am missing something?

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Also, is it that easy to kill someone with a handgun on a city sidewalk next to the park in broad daylight without anyone noticing? At least in 1980 . . .

24. shokhead

Happens today so why not in 80?

25. mrjinks

Just watched interesting interview on CBSN with Major Garrett & the former Chief of Disguise for CIA. Final questions were about favorite music/book/film.

She answered saying that they (CIA) typically don't watch spy-themed stuff because they "dont like it" and find it "irritating because its not right." But she did say "i liked The Americans very much on tv. I thought that was close to the bone. It was a Soviet couple but it was life in a household where nothing was what it seemed to be and the kids were picking up on it and, it just ... yeah that was good."

CIA VINDICATION!!!

Sean Murdock and shokhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.