The Americans sixth and final season approaches...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I just caught up with season 4 & 5 after stopping at the beginning of S4 a few years ago after Philip’s flashbacks of beating kids to death with rocks was too much for me.

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Man, don’t mess with Elizabeth this season! She’s got issues.

Curious how this will all end...
    The couple split?
    One of them dies (I’m guessing her)?
    He winds up killing her?

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The ending was written before the first season started and they are sticking to it as per Russell.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It seems to me they are setting Philip up with business issues. Maybe his business starts to fail and that nucleates a move back to Russia, a move back into the spy business, working with the US (double agent)...?

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Crowded House and Fleetwood Mac in the same episode. Coincidence? Or something more?

Cassius and mrjinks like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Show of hands that think Stan's wife is a nogoodnik? Me too.
    I like this team-leading Phil. He's really embracing the American dream!
    I wonder why they haven't employed the tactic Elizabeth used on that poor sap before-just basically ask the target what the weaknesses are in your organization. Then it's clean up in aisle 6. (Oh, and Elizabeth? You can wear that brown wig anytime you want :drool:)
    And I think we can all sympathize with Paige-I know when I've seen some dude's brains all over my mother's face, it's hard to move on from that.

7. mrjinks

Not sure I understand the reasoning/logic behind the "action" scene at the start of last night's episode. Apparently the showrunners are proud of having created "one of the darkest seasons in TV history", but I didn't understand being lost in near total-darkness for several minutes...

Anybody else?

8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I think this season is terrible. Slow, plodding, boring. To me they just seem to be filling space before the finale.

Would like to see more (literally) of Paige, though.

kinkling likes this.
  9. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I agree that darkness of the scene was a bit much - and I felt like they completely wasted it by keeping Paige ignorant of what went down in there. Her mother killed at least 3 innocent security guards, after the "suicide" Paige witnessed. I know verisimilitude has never been this show's forte, but three dead security guards would be newsworthy, something Paige might learn about and send her further down the path to realizing that her mother is full of ****. I expect we will get there at some point before its over.

mrjinks likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I loved this show for 4 seasons and then quit. It became too boring and the same issues were explored over and over. Besides that, the costumes and wigs were ridiculous looking and I couldn’t care a fig for Martha.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The last season really felt like it was spinning its wheels -- I think they were ready to wrap up in season 5 but then they got a two season renewal so they had to stretch. This season seems better so far because the change in dynamic, with Paige working with Elizabeth instead of Philip, is interesting, as is the increased strain Elizabeth is feeling.... but there is still something enervating about the downbeat mood.

mrjinks likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think my enthusiasm for this series died with Nina now that I think about it. What a hot!

Gavinyl likes this.
  13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

What's the wig budget like on this show?

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Low.

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I guess they buy in bulk.

mrjinks and GodShifter like this.
  16. mrjinks

I agree last season was a missed opportunity, and it's a real shame, because the slow critical buzz from the first few seasons had finally started to spill over into more "mainstream" acceptance (GG/Emmy nominations). But I don't know what they were doing last season - it just never took off.

I'm enjoying this season much more, and I keep trying to envision the ending. The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that ...
    There's going to be a final - likely fatal - confrontation with Philip and Elizabeth. The series has always (playfully) pushed the envelope with plausibility; I think season one had our "heroes" bugging Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger, iirc.
    Since this season seems to be building towards the summit, I'm envisioning Elizabeth getting an order to take out Gorbachev, putting an end to his reforms. I think Philip may get wind of this and be forced to take her out instead, thus guaranteeing the end of the USSR, the end of his mission and the end of his marriage, while she can die a "hero's" death fighting valiantly for her cause.

I'm probably completely wrong, but I may as well commit early to an absurd hypothesis, just in case I nail it. :D

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That’s damn good. It could do much worse to go in that direction.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. mrjinks

:tiphat:

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've got this season's ep's recorded but I was so bored last season I can't decide if I want to give it another shot. Based on what I'm reading here I'm thinking I'll just wait and catch the last 2 episodes of the series just to close it out. Maybe.

GodShifter and kinkling like this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The bad wigs stay on their head good though.

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Just watched episode two. I was right. It's only a matter of time before they start pimping her out for the party.

22. I'm still trying to catch up. I'm at Episode 5 of Season 5 now.

I have this much to say: Matthew Rhys is an absolutely incredible actor! This guy is great by himself, and he's even more amazing when he plays off of other actors. I just can't believe I've never seen this guy before. Why doesn't he play more roles?

My only gripe right now is that they played it all wrong with Paige so far, and that's the only reason that her story arch is getting a tad tedious. Not too bad, mind you, but enough to where all of the other interweaving plots tower above her story. At least she's a fairly good actress, while Pastor Tim and his wife are pretty groan worthy.

That's minor stuff, though.

It's strange, but growing up in the '80s, the CCCP was a dirty word. There was fear. There was an anxiousness, where even at school they taught us do well in our studies, because we were competing against the ruskies.

Now, I'm watching this show, and I'm rooting for the Russians. Or, at the very least, I want Phillip & Elizabeth to find some peace in all of this - not more cold war victims.

They had their chance to quit, but they didn't take it.

Then again, I like Beeman, too, and his partner, Aderholt, is a quiet bulldog. This is a great actor, as well: Brandon Dirden.

Brenald79 and GodShifter like this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

He’s one ofmy tv characters. It’s amazing how manages all these identities with Martha and Kimmy.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

previews show paige in bed with the young man of wealth and power.......like mother, like daughter.

dmiller458 likes this.
  25. mrjinks

Damn, that was a terrific episode! Paige! Kimmy! Action! Suspense!

I’m really hoping they’re going to “stick the landing” with the final episodes of this series. :goodie:

Sean Murdock and Tom Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.