The Audiologist Visit

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BruceS, Dec 1, 2022.

1. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato Thread Starter

I had my annual ear-and-hearing exams today. Before the hearing exam, the audiologist asked how my hearing was compared to last year. "About the same," I said."Actually, a bit better...new speakers!" At least she laughed. Hearing indeed measured about the same. Thought I was good to 12k, but turns out they measure only up to 8k. Whatever...the new speakers (now broken in) do kind of improve my hearing. :D

(Kanto TUK + Kanto 8 sub < DM100 < MBP.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Your ears or the test they do?

3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Meh not much more above 8khz anyway.

good for you man!

BruceS likes this.
  4. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Yeah, 250Hz to 8kHz is the normal range in these tests. They're mainly interested in speech intelligibility.

TarnishedEars, BruceS and Tone? like this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yes very true.

the audiology test I did was up to 8khz as well

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Since my last full workup maybe five years ago, I've discovered three things.

1) First, blocked eustachian tubes can be dealt with to some extent, with a new product on the market that you shove up your mouth to blow air in through the sinuses
    2) Since I've been spending a lot of time laying down and listening in earbuds, I lose a lot of my hearing, and have to sit up and "pop" my ears, airplane-descent-style, in order for better hearing to return
    3) I'm more aware of my problem: if I yawn, that will clear up up hearing while on my back...but, it takes only four seconds or so for the hearing deficiency to return to my eustachian tube. :sigh:
    Gonna have to go back to the audiologists, and badger them until they help me find a solution. This is not something a hearing aid will fix by itself.

7. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

What is that 'product' called for clearing eustachian tubed?

I am having problems with my left ear and it would be great to help along.

Tone? likes this.
  8. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I might want that as well

9. BruceS

In fact, I did have to identify spoken words in addition to beeps.

Sneaky Pete and Tone? like this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Same here.

I was in a soundproof booth and wearing headphones while the guy was speaking words and beeps to me

Sneaky Pete and BruceS like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Didn't find the clip I saw earlier, but I believe this is the product. And it appears, up your nostril, not your mouth. Eustachi.

No recommendations, I am not a paid spokesperson, can't even say how long the relief would last. But, armed with enough Monopoly money, I could play one.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I went to the audiologist today. I’m almost 66 years old and she told me the results were excellent. Some slow roll of above 8k and a very slight dip around 1k. She basically said for my age the results are great and my hearing is considered normal. Since I play music and I also listen to music obsessively I was pleased.

I wish I had been nicer to my ears when I was younger.

BruceS likes this.
  13. BruceS

I had an additional interaction with the audiologist. I mentioned a sound in a recording that I just couldn't hear. The sound is in Tom Russell's song, "Hong Kong Boy" and is meant to resemble the rattle of a rattlesnake. It's brief, and I used to be able to hear it (like when I was 66). Now I can't, unless I stick my ear right up against a speaker...and even then, it's fainter than it should be. At first, I thought it was the recording. Nope. She mentioned the possibility of a hearing aid. I responded by saying I'd be OK living with the memory. Both laughed. Wish I knew what the frequency was, because I still hear most musical details very well. Glad that you "passed" your test!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

What an annoying guy!!!

15. Dillydipper

Dunno, don't care. That wasn't the original video source I found the product on, this is the most immediate one I found because somebody wanted to know the name of the product I was talking about.