The Avengers question (60's series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The closest I got was to go through the Universal Studios Battlestar exhibit on one of those little trams in 1979. :laugh:

Patrick was also in The Howling and Spinal Tap movies not long after. I'm glad he wasn't seriously ill.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

3. redfloatboat

4. redfloatboat

5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I just started watching the Emma Peel era yesterday and I must say that 3 episodes in that I love it. I knew I would.

I was always familiar with The Avengers but I don't think I ever watched a full episode or even most of an episode until yesterday. I was 10 or so when I first saw A View To A Kill and I ultimately watched all the Bonds on garbage CBS Video VHS releases. I'm so excited to watch them in 2160p now that we have UHD.

I came to know about The Avengers naturally through Bond. I knew the main characters Steed, Peel and Gale. I knew they were Macnee, Rigg and Blackman (all at one point in Bond films). I knew it was a 60s spy style show. I knew it had tongue in cheek humor sometimes and had elements of sci-fi. I knew about the bowler hat, umbrella and leather cat-suits. I had seen photos and read a bit about it. I caught brief glimpses of the show on re-runs here and there over the years.

But I never really watched the show until yesterday. I got a hold of the episodes in 1080p and I feel they look incredible for a 60s British tv show. I know the show was fairly popular, but I barely saw it come on in reruns when I was a kid. Maybe it did and I just didn't get a chance to sit down and watch it. Like I said, I only caught a few glimpses of it.

I'm really excited to read this thread and watch some of the episodes some of you have been raving about. I just finished Danger Man and I was looking for something else that's British, 60s, and spy to fill the time. I liked Danger Man but McGoohan is sometimes a bit too stiff for my tastes. His sarcasm is quite dry on that show. Although, I love The Prisoner, maybe because its only a short commitment.

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Danger Man
    The Avengers
    The Prisoner

Watched them then and still re-watching today!

Jerry Horne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.