The BADFINGER Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by intv7, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intv7

intv7 Senior Member Thread Starter

Gonna throw the Badfinger best-of compilations out there for discussion. Due to all the legal red tape surrounding Apple, their material was out of print for many years from the mid-'70s through the early '90s, with not even a Greatest Hits album available. Without a doubt, the band lost a lot of potential income from sales, and without any product on the shelves, the band faded into relative obscurity.

The Warner material was also out of print, but not in particularly high demand compared to the Apple era albums. Still, it was easier for a label to license it out, and in 1989, Edsel Records in the UK was the first reissue label to release a Badfinger collection, Shine On. It's disposable today, but at the time it served a purpose in collecting tracks from the two albums the band released for Warner Brothers.

[​IMG]
    Shine On
    Edsel Records
    Released 1989

I Miss You
    Shine On
    Love Is Easy
    Song For A Lost Friend
    Why Don't We Talk?
    Island
    Lonely You
    Andy Norris
    In The Meantime, Some Other Time
    Just A Chance
    Know One Knows
    Dennis

Rhino Records soon released their own collection in the US, which expanded the idea into including, for the first time, the official release of material from Head First, as well as the singles from Airwaves. Cleverly titled The Best Of Badfinger, Volume II (leaving the door open for the inevitable The Best Of Badfinger from Apple), this collection is probably a better selection of material from the two released albums, and with the addition of Head First songs and the first CD release of "Love Is Gonna Come At Last" and "Lost Inside Your Love", this CD was indispensable at the time. The material from Head First came from a less-than-perfect tape copy, but sounded far better than the bootlegs that were circulating.

[​IMG]
    The Best Of Badfinger Volume II
    Rhino Records
    Released 1990

Know One Knows
    Shine On
    Lonely You
    Give It Up
    Song For A Lost Friend
    Just A Chance
    Your So Fine
    Got To Get Out Of Here
    In The Meantime/Some Other Time
    I Miss You
    Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke
    Lay Me Down
    Passed Fast
    Keep Believing
    Moonshine
    Lost Inside Your Love
    Love Is Gonna Come At Last

With legal issues finally settled, and Apple finally issuing the Badfinger albums on CD in the early 1990s, a proper Apple-era collection was released in 1995, The Best Of Badfinger, which collects five songs each from Magic Christian Music and No Dice, seven from Straight Up, and four from Ass, presented in chronological order. As with many compilations, I feel a better job could've been done in track selection, but as far as Badfinger best-ofs go, I think this is the one I would most recommend.

[​IMG]

The Best Of Badfinger

Apple/Capitol/EMI
    Released 1995

Come And Get It
    Maybe Tomorrow
    Rock Of All Ages
    Dear Angie
    Carry On Till Tomorrow
    No Matter What
    Believe Me
    Midnight Caller
    Better Days
    Without You
    Take It All
    Money
    Flying
    Name Of The Game
    Suitcase
    Day After Day
    Baby Blue (US Single Mix)
    When I Say
    Icicles
    I Can Love You
    Apple Of My Eye

Released in 2000 and compiled by biographer Dan Matovina, The Very Best Of Badfinger was a newly remastered collection of material issued to capitalize on some renewed interest in the band. With Matovina's book getting some attention and a VH-1 Behind The Music episode set to premiere, it seemed like a good time to get some new product out there and perhaps create a better "best of" than what was out there already. Even more promising was the fact that songs from both the Apple and the Warner Brothers albums would be included. Unfortunately, there are some really weird song choices on here, IMO, that spoil it for me, namely the original version of "Name Of The Game" (which I like, but don't prefer), the outtake "I'll Be The One" (which is a great song, but still a strange choice for a best of), and "Love Time". The whole thing plays like a collection of Dan Matovina's favorite songs. I like these songs too, but I would not have picked outtakes, and would've made different choices for album tracks. Also, by kicking the album off with three of their four big singles, with the fourth just a couple of tracks later, it seems a little top heavy.

[​IMG]

The Very Best Of Badfinger
    Apple/Capitol/EMI
    Released 2000

No Matter What
    Day After Day
    Baby Blue
    Name Of The Game (original version)
    Maybe Tomorrow
    Come And Get It
    Rock Of All Ages
    Carry On Till Tomorrow
    Midnight Caller
    We’re For The Dark
    I’ll Be The One
    Without You
    I’d Die Babe
    It’s Over
    When I Say
    Dennis
    Lonely You
    Love Time
    Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke

On September 29, 2013, the final episode of the smash hit TV series Breaking Bad aired, and used "Baby Blue" in its final scene to great effect. This resulted in over 5,000 downloads of the song purchased on the night of the broadcast alone, and the song making its way to #32 on the Billboard Digital Songs chart and, shockingly, an appearance on the UK charts for the very first time (#73). Rushed out to capitalize on this surprise hit, Timeless...The Musical Legacy is another hodgepodge of songs, this time with the sonics blown out and brickwalled. Not recommended.

[​IMG]

Timeless… The Musical Legacy
    Apple/Capitol Records
    Released 2013

Day After Day
    Without You
    Rock Of All Ages
    Dear Angie
    Come And Get It
    Maybe Tomorrow
    No Matter What
    Baby Blue (US Single Mix)
    Believe Me
    Name Of The Game
    I’ll Be The One
    Apple Of My Eye
    Suitcase
    Timeless
    Dennis
    Love Is Gonna Come At Last

2. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

This CD has a heavy amount of noise reduction applied.
    The original version of Name Of The Game was chosen because it was the canceled single. I'll Be The One probably was chosen because the band wanted to release it as a single. George Harrison rejected it. I think Name Of The Game would have flopped, but I'll Be The One would have been a hit. I also believe Baby Please (not on this compilation) would have been a hit had it been released.
    Matovina stated he did this to make it easier for radio airplay.
    Doesn't this comp have the same mastering as the well-regarded 2010 remasters, or has it been futzed with?

scratchtasia likes this.
  3. intv7

No, it's definitely been futzed with. I played it once, was super disappointed, and filed it away into the collection. I recall it being very loud, while the 2010 remasters were great.

MPLRecords likes this.
  4. intv7

I get the reasoning behind it, but I see that as sort of revisionist history. I'd rather not rewrite the book and keep the rejected tracks and outtakes off the "best of" collection. Your mileage may vary. But of course I do agree with you, I think "I'll Be The One" had great potential to be a hit. "Baby Please", too. It's shocking how many gems these guys had rejected.

longdist01, Fred68 and MPLRecords like this.
  5. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I don't believe this is correct. You should probably revisit the album and compare it again to the remastered albums. I don't have the dynamic range numbers available to me for Timeless but to my ears, it's the same mastering as the 2010 remastered albums.

6. intv7

Hmm, I will -- I must be misremembering, as I obviously spent no time with it and it's been well over 5 years. Should not have doubted @Fred68!

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Badfinger Timeless - The Musical Legacy... sounds very close to the sound quality for 2010 Remastered albums, just listened through again.

Maranatha5585 and intv7 like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Apple shaped CD EP from UK 1991.
    a neat collectible however all of the 1992 Remastered tracks were No-Noised!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

1991 UK Apple CD EP in plastic Slimcase.
    Remastered tracks were No-Noised!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oboogie and Maranatha5585 like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

1992 German Apple CD EP
    housed in plastic Slimcase
    Remastered tracks were No-Noised!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

1993 Japanese Apple CD Single
    Remastered tracks are No-Noised!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2015 Wasabi records CD Single "PROMO"
    1 - Remastered track!
    [​IMG]

oboogie, Maranatha5585 and jricc like this.
  13. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The version of "Name Of The Game" planned for single release has added organ overdubs by Al Kooper and is an edited/remixed version
    of the bonus track issued on the CD of Straight Up. This mix remains unreleased.

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2010 Japan AirMail records CD Single "PROMO"
    1- Remastered track!
    [​IMG]

15. badfingerjoe

Great job on this thread....informative and love the pictures of the artwork! Those Japanese releases are really cool looking.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It can be heard online.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

intv7 has done an amazing job posting the album write ups and pictures!

18. badfingerjoe

Yeah, it's out there but all versions have a nasty dropout. It's taken from an acetate but at least we get to hear what it sounded like.
    That would be great to have on a rarities collection.

jricc and longdist01 like this.
  19. botfinger

botfinger Forum Resident

Al Kooper (May 24, 2004)
    Their record company asked me to remix and add organ to a track they did
    so it could be released as a single. I went to the studio and worked all night on that
    project. It was a version of Name Of the Game that had a full orchestra on it. I
    overdubbed an organ and spent all night remixing it. Never came out. It was pretty
    darn good, too!

jricc, longdist01 and scratchtasia like this.
  20. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

@intv7 Are you going to cover the Ivey's demos and live recordings, to squeeze a little more mileage out of this thread?

factory44 likes this.
  21. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

His version was better than the one on the rejected album.

22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I listened to both of these tonight to make a playlist for the car. In nearly every instance where Tommy is sole composer I find the results too twee.

After sifting wheat from chaff I came up with the following:

01 See-Saw Granpa (Ham)
    02 Crimson Ship (Ham/Evans)
    03 Midnight Sun (Ham)
    04 Carry On Till Tomorrow (Ham/Evans)
    05 Dear Angie (Griffiths)
    06 Mrs. Jones (Ham)
    07 I've Been Waiting (Ham)
    08 Come And Get It (McCartney)
    09 Yesterday Ain't Coming Back (Ham/Evans)
    10 Rock Of All Ages (Ham/Evans/Gibbins)
    11 They're Knocking Down Our Home (Ham)
    12 Sali Bloo (Ham)
    13 Walk Out In The Rain (Ham)
    14 Give It A Try (Ham/Evans/Griffiths/Gibbins)
    15 Maybe Tomorrow (Evans)

23. intv7

I know Ron Griffiths put out an early live recording a couple of years ago now -- I never picked that up. Has there been a legit release of the demos? All I have is the Someday We'll Be Known boot. We could go over that stuff if you guys want, though I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of that material, and I felt like there was little interest in the Iveys stuff early on in this thread.

MPLRecords likes this.
  24. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Cherry Red/RPM released a few CDs that gathered together a number of demos from Apple Publishing. Three of those releases feature Iveys demos. Details for each release can be accessed near the bottom of this page: The Iveys & Badfinger commercial releases compiled by Tom Brennan

longdist01 likes this.
  25. botfinger

botfinger Forum Resident

Ron Griffiths
    Deadknot - Losing All My Dreams (2016)
    [​IMG]

Ron & Dai [The Boys of Rock and Roll] (2013)
    [​IMG]

Ron's film appearance [The Wright Brothers]
    Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.