The BADFINGER Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by intv7, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I believe there's a Japanese physical release soon of this...on pressed CD in a jewel-case with Obi strip, botfinger posted earlier in another Thread!

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  2. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

One thing I've noticed listening to the Iveys material is how much more melodic Ron Griffiths' bass playing is compared to Tommy's. Ron's style is similar to Paul McCartney's, whereas Tommy is more like Klaus Voormann. From a purely musical standpoint, I think it was a mistake that the others booted Ron from the band. Not to mention, Ron seems a genuinely nice bloke who was unfairly ousted as the band was on the verge of stardom.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It would have been interesting to see what Ron would have done post playing in the band, but he did pursue a professional trade for his family.

Also was in a couple scenes of the film "Four Weddings And A Funeral" playing a Reception with band The Wright Brothers!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Maranatha5585 and MPLRecords like this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Japan market always creates cool sets packaging artists albums together, I believe this one is by Disk Union all the Mini-LPs are 1992 Mastering quality.

5. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I have the compilation "The Very Best Of Badfinger" from 2000 and like it. I can't really comment on the sound quality vs "Timeless", but it is listenable and I like the track selection better. Of course when I want to hear the actual albums I listen to the two DCC's or the remastered Magic Christian Music. Sometimes I just want to listen to the hits though and that's why I have a compilation.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Looked in my Badfinger folder and see in 2012 I De-Clicked and 'massaged' the best version I had found. I don't notice a drop-out now. The fidelity is still not great, but better than the previous two versions I had saved.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

With the recent Super Deluxe Boxsets getting released for many artists/bands I hope a couple are considered for 50th Anniversary for "Maybe Tomorrow" then "No Dice" & Straight Up" albums to hear some demos, Session takes, and outtakes/remixes. There are a few soundtrack songs off MC film, a few edited Singles cuts unreleased by Apple to get out one day.

8. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

That would be pretty cool to get deluxe editions of some of the Badfinger titles.

9. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Would be nice, but seems unrealistic.

It's been nearly 40 years since CDs became mainstream, but we have yet to see even a 2 CD retrospective for Badfinger. The possibility of a deluxe edition of Straight Up or Wish You Were Here is highly unlikely.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    granata, longdist01 and MPLRecords like this.
  10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

So true, unrealistic is a good way to put it!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. murch

murch Forum Resident

Straight Up is quite unique as nearly the entire album was recorded twice... I can't think of another popular rock album that has 2 very different completed versions. Although version 1 was rejected by Apple and never released as an album, you can assemble the first version by using the bonus tracks they spread out over various releases over the years. If you're a fan of the released version of Straight Up, it's a treat to hear the rejected version - "suitcase" is arguably better in the first incarnation.

Seems like an opportunity to do a Deluxe version for sure.

12. jonboulay

jonboulay Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on So Fine?

longdist01 likes this.
  13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I wish I got in line earlier than 5:15 AM.

longdist01 and MPLRecords like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nico recorded one album 2x

longdist01 likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Ad page for last album under Badfinger
    "Say No More" w/ Tom & Joey

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Paul's song recorded for Badfinger, at last the full studio demo!

[​IMG]

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Spinning the great "After The Pearl" LP today, really nice group of songs on here!

Maranatha5585 and oboogie like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

re-listening to Pete's "7 Park Ave" today.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Capitol Studio cd-r Test Pressing for
    1995 issued "The Best Of Badfinger"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Hep Alien and oboogie like this.
  21. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

Isn't this the same track used on The Beatles Anthology vol 3 in 1995?

22. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

Ron Griffith's playing was frankly stunning. Much as I love Evans I think Griffith's sheer musicality has never truly been acknowledged. I have assembled a fair assortment of Iveys tracks beyond MCM & MB: There's a fantastic bootleg cd called Maybe Someday We'll Be Known as well as the 3 volumes of the anthology 94 Baker Street: The Pop-Psych Sounds of the Apple Era 1967-1969. Ron's playing was consistently brilliant & his singing wasn't shabby either...

Hep Alien and longdist01 like this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

If you listen it has studio chatter vs Anthology 3 mix

Telegram Sam likes this.
  24. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

It seems like Straight Up would have the best chance of a SDE, but as others have said it probably won't happen. I have no idea on this, maybe others do, but it seems like there are a lot of songs still in the vault. Or have they all been released on the various reissues?

At this point I'd take a 2 CD set of unreleased songs and demos/alternate mixes from the Apple years, and if possible a set from the Warner years. But I'm guessing the reissues for Badfinger and Wish You Were Here last year on CD is the best we will get from that period. I do enjoy those discs, I'm glad we got that much. Who knows about the Apple years, poor Ringo has hardly had any of his albums reissued.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Possibly Apple could issue a Badfinger "Super Deluxe Edition" of the Apple years with a couple CD's Sessions alternates, plus a video portion of rare promos/ tv appearances...,but the Beatles seem to be the Focus always...2020 is Badfinger 50th Anniversary...so why not something finally to celebrate the bands Legacy!?!

Hep Alien, oboogie and ccbarr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.