The Banana Splits Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow... They couldn't get the rights to Five Nights At Freddy's so I guess this is close enough?

I don't have any kind of attachment to the original show (it was before my time) but this just seems stupid.

2. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...The Dickies! The Dickies:goodie:!

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. What a load of crap. Not only does this lack originality, it also taints the reputation of the original show.

4. melstapler

Weird, I was just thinking about them too! We're going to see them this summer for the wife's b-day, such a great band.

ajsmith likes this.
  5. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Before or after you read this line?

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

Before and then boom you posted that! :righton:

7. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

The greatest band of all time and almost totally forgotten :)

trumpet sounds, Grampire and Ignatius like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What in the absolute F***?

I wouldn't even watch this if it were a 5-minute short.

It's a horrible thing how modern Hollywood ass****s just want to p!ss in the punchbowl and destroy other people's ideas. I can see the idea of doing kind of a satire on kids' shows and even The Banana Splits, but the idea of turning that into a violent R-rated 90-minute movie is so ridiculously awful, I don't even know where to begin.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

The whole "kids show characters are dark" thing has already been done before in some form or another (Death to Smoochy, Shakes The Clown, etc).

This one is being made just to get the 20-somethings who are crazy about the Five Nights At Freddy's game to tune in.

MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and jupiter8 like this.
  10. Soundtrack Guy

Soundtrack Guy Active Member

Now, a Danger Island movie, perhaps.

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

What the frack is this s**t, apart from being the basis of a potential lawsuit from Scott Cawthorn?

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Would they even know who the Banana Splits are? They'll know it 's a FNAF rip-off of course but not necessarily the history of these other characters.

Almost seems to be tailored to my generation, except that I'd expect this as more of a YT short versus an actual movie.

13. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

For what it's worth, there is a decent short film on Hulu, The Hug, which uses a similar idea (this is one of Hulu's Huluween series of short horror films, released last year).

One big difference is that The Hug used an original animatronic character, so no one's childhood memories are sullied. And, as a short, it didn't wear out its welcome.

14. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

My favorite comment about this at the YT page for this ... thing ...
    "I'm down with this if we get a gritty John Woo-style Hong Kong Phooey reboot"

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I vaguely remember watching the original show, but since I was under 5 I don't have a lot of emotional attachment to it and haven't revisited it since.

What's next, reboots of H.R. Pufnstuf and Liddsville to be sold in pot stores? Now those shows scared the heck out of me back then...

16. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I'm glad the original Fleegle isn't alive to see this mess.

17. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It's been done...

18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It seems rehashing and trashing other people's IP is all mainstream entertainment can do these days. Pass.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’m still waiting for that restored blu-ray of Meet the Feebles, so I’ll pass on this one.

20. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

The "let's take a kid's show and put F-bombs and sex and violence in it" has already been beaten way into the ground. Has it ever worked or been successful?

I think some Hollywood types are far too impressed with their own "creativity".

Dan

driverdrummer and Jack Lord like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I’m on a Banana Splits Facebook group for the original show which have a couple of the actors who portrayed the Splits on the show. Everyone in the group are upset about this abomination of a movie.

Someone even posted the discrepancies in the costumes compared to the originals:

[​IMG]
    The Original Banana Splits

[​IMG]
    The Movie Version

1) Neither Fleegle or Drooper had painted nostrils.

2) Drooper wore white gloves.

3) They Gave Fleegle's shoes to Bingo. Making Fleegle barefoot.

4) It looks like Fleegle has a "Hitler" Mustache.

Just all kinds of Wrongs!

This what I wrote on the Facebook page after seeing the trailer:

It looks terrible. It’s a very cynical approach to the Splits we know and fondly remember. The current copyright holders obviously signed off on this and don’t care that it’ll damage the franchise and the memories of fans who still love the Splits.

It’s wrong on so many levels:

1) it’s disrespectful to those who created a fun show that is still enjoyable in reruns and the newer versions.

2) it hits a major taboo of endangering children in the storyline. I know this is a trend that was broached in shows like the Walking Dead which only adds to its cynicism.

3) The trailer gives away the entire movie in one shot, point for point: a) the kids excited to go to the show. b) the disgruntled employee. c) The robotic Splits going berserk, i.e.: Westworld. d) The heroic mother defending her child. Even the ending can be figured out: the mother defeats the Splits saving her child, and as they leave the studio it’s revealed that one of the robot Splits is still functioning. You can read the plot a mile away.

You’ve seen the trailer, you’ve seen the movie. Move along, nothing to see here.

This movie is obviously aimed at the Sharknado type audience who go for campy horror and could care less about the original audience and what this movie will do to the memory of The Splits and those who worked on the original show to make it a fun experience for kids.

Adding to my original thoughts, which others have touched on, this is just another example of the current Hollywood laziness of not coming up with original ideas and trashing beloved, nostalgic shows because they think it’s “clever”. It also shows that some in Hollywood don’t seem to know how to write a fun show or movie for children anymore, everything has to be “dark” and “edgy”, in their eyes, “hip”.

If there was going to be any kind of Splits movie, I would like to have seen a Pop musical parody of Scooby-Doo with the Splits involved trying to solve a mystery while retaining the fun elements of the original show.

Like others, I’m sick and tired of my childhood memories being smeared in manure.

I’m boycotting this movie and I hope other fans of the original Banana Splits Show will do the same.

[​IMG]

Drifter, melstapler, Fullbug and 10 others like this.
  22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A better idea would have been an adventure with The Splits meeting several musical guests on their travels.

swedwards1960 likes this.
  23. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

Last year, I had organized a Saturday morning, kids' show retro event and had planned to have available Banana Splits costumes (which are/were available from the U.K.) for people to wear and provide a photo opps for families. Alas, that would've been the last chance for such use. From this point forward, as others have stated, the brand is tainted, if not downright ruined. Google searches will inevitably lead to this intellectually bankrupt, soulless movie and the original Splits (along with the boomers and Gen X-ers childhood memories of them) will be lost to the dustbin of pop culture history.

Though I have seen other cultural touchstones sullied before, this one really hurts.

24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

:shake:
    Well, at least it looks like it won't have a theatrical release.

25. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

The Five Nights At Freddy's connection is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw this. And why are the new BS costumes so much worse than the original ones? Lame and soon to be forgotten.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.