The Banana Splits Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I didn't even know this movie existed until I saw the DVD/blu rays at my local Walmart. Considering how family friendly that store tries to appear, I couldn't believe they were carrying a movie like this, let alone featuring it in the new releases section. (Yet you'll never see a CD with a parental warning there, but that's another complaint for another thread.)

I did enjoy this show as a kid, and even had the two-EP set that was part of a cereal promotion (p.s., Al Kooper is another notable who contributed to their music) I'm all for artistic freedom but I can't believe someone with control over this property actually signed off on this. I'm going to pass.

melstapler and clhboa like this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

An epic fail on all levels. I can't believe Hanna-Barbera ok'ed this. Glad a co-worker loaned me his copy so I didn't waste a dime on it.

melstapler and GLENN like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think H-B really exists anymore. WB owns their properties and absorbed H-B - WB uses those properties but I don't think there's an actual H-B unit.

So there's not really a way for H-B to nix projects like this...

melstapler and Bluesman Mark like this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Well, whoever owns the rights was out of their minds to greenlight this mess.

melstapler and GLENN like this.
  5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why it got greenlighted. Everyone involved figured they could make some cash off a largely forgotten & really crappy kiddie show.

Of course they had no idea that a group of grown a$$ adults were going to whine & cry about their "precious childhood memories" being "raped, pillaged & plundered".....

NaturalD likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Horror movies are cheap to make and tend to be profitable. The Splits name gives this one an instant fame that it would lack if it used a generic TV show as the basis.

So yeah - $$$! :D

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  7. Bluesman Mark

Exactly!! ;)

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Not really. We hardcore Splits fans know these are just animatronic dummies and not the 'Real' Banana Splits. We're not stoopid you know. :nyah:

9. Bluesman Mark

:D :laugh: :biglaugh::righton:

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A Rock parody with the Splits would definitely had been a better idea.

[​IMG]

11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I rented The Banana Splits Movie from RedBox this past weekend.

It was ...enjoyably dumb. Fine for schlocky Halloween season entertainment.

quicksrt likes this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There would have been another way to have done a proper Splits movie without compromising the original creators intentions. I still contend a music fantasy parody would have been a fun way to go. I’ll be seeing the original actors who played the Splits at the Chiller Convention in NJ this weekend.

[​IMG]

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

We are watching now and finding it unintentionally hilarious. Guess that is what being locked in the house will do to you.

14. Oatsdad

Oh, I'm not sure you could call that movie unintentionally funny. No, it's not technically a comedy, but c'mon - it's a horror movie about the Banana Splits.

Ya can't make a movie like that without tongue in cheek! :)

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They were probably actually banking on older people complaining just so it got some sort of press. Otherwise, why use the name at all if it's that forgotten and crappy?

16. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

A lot of kiddie shows from our past will seem crappy to us as adults now. I've even thought to myself "I used to watch this?". Another way of looking at this "Banana Splits" horror movie is to think someone as a child was scared out of their wits by the original Banana Splits show. Maybe someone involved with this movie is that person. Just something to think about. My opinion.

NaturalD and Bluesman Mark like this.
  17. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I remember the proper banana splits from 50 years ago. It's not the sort of series you ever forget.
    It's marvellous psychedelic stuff.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I enjoyed it too! Even the theme song was great! It's one of my favorite "Sing Along" themes.

hyntsonsvmse likes this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

That’s why I think a musical parody ‘Yellow Submarine’ type fantasy would have worked much better without compromising the original intentions of Hanna-Barbera.

clhboa likes this.
  20. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

The theme song is marvellous. As were the Arabian knights

21. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I've not seen the movie as I'm of an age to remember the real deal. I've got the entire series on dvd.
    I'm also a massive fan of many other hanna barbera classics. The original scooby is stunning. I grew up watching such nonsense. That's why I'm proudly bonkers.in part

22. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

the film is brilliant--and i say this as big fan , since the beginning

23. Oatsdad

I was only 3 when the show left the air, so I don't remember it first run.

I saw it in syndication, I guess. Don't have strong memories of it but I know I watched it!

24. Oatsdad

Bob Marley agreed! :D

Drifter, g.z. and hyntsonsvmse like this.
  25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.