The Band 1983-1998: your opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dentone, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Dentone

Dentone Forum Resident Thread Starter

After an interval of about 6 years, The Band resumed its journey in 1983 without R. Robertson. The historical nucleus was joined by various musicians, but the sound, the arrangements and the magnificent voices were in the name of continuity. I also love this period very much and I hope that more material (studio or live) will be released.

2. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

They lost me when Islands was released. It's pleasant enough but forgettable for the most part IMO.

Another Steve and Komakino___ like this.
  3. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

there is that one concert film from about 83-84, when Richard was still in the band.
    I think that's very enjoyable

Of course, The Last Waltz is pretty stunning in every aspect, so it's difficult to judge anyting that came afterwards without TLW in mind.

As far as the studio albums go; I've never really dived in. But I'm sure there must be some good moments there. After all, Robbie wasn't the sole writer when he was there, so between the rest of the guys, surely there are bound to be some good tracks

FramboGND and johnnybrum like this.
  4. Karl1111

Karl1111 Forum Resident

Bon di, I love these CDs as well, but don't think there's anything in the vault now.
    I remember there' a bootleg named "Tombstone" and a lot of CDs by Danko, Helm, Manuel, Hudson as well.

5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Not my favorite iteration of the band but their cover of Bruce's "Atlantic City" still sounds they could produce magic in a bottle.

Galley, bibijeebies, Mix4800 and 11 others like this.
  6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Law of diminishing returns. First album is pretty good, last isn't. Blind Willie McTell and Atlantic City are excellent; Remedy is Band-by-numbers but also really good.

Mix4800, epp56, jmrife and 6 others like this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Enjoy the albums in this period more than some of the "classic" period albums.

Jubilation is an excellent album especially.

It was always a pleasure to here anything Rick Danko was involved in and his solo albums around this period were great as well.

8. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

The Band sit near the very top of my list of artists that I love. Some would call this a list of favourites but there are far too many of them for me to use that term.

The great disappointment for me is that they did not release an album in the period straight after they reformed when Richard Manuel was still with us.
    Admittedly this was the 1980's & no doubt some record label know all would have saddled them with the totally inappropriate production of the time.

This thread has prompted me to pull the 3 albums from 1993 - 1998. I will also check out the Tombstone album
    I'll report back when I've had a listen.

9. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

first thing that came to mind for me as well

10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He pretty much was the sole writer by the time they (first) broke up

supernaut likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've never been much of a fan of The Band. Tend to find, just two or three songs per album to my taste during the Robbie years. However, I'm a bit of a Tom Pacheco completist so when I'dheard he'd co-written a couple of songs for Jubilation, I reluctantly pick it up and, much to my surprise, was bowled over by how good it was. Went back and checked out Jericho & High On The Hog & I enjoyed those too, so '93-'98 is definitely my preferred era.

If any '90s era Band fans haven't checked out Tom's Woodstock Winter album, you might well enjoy it because they essentially act as his backing band for the album. Great stuff.

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The brain may have been gone but the soul remained. It was great and I enjoyed listening seeing and in a couple instances, talking to them. I listen to a few great live shows from this era

13. Kingsley Fats

I've never heard of Tom Pacheco before but like numerous other suggestions from you @carlwm I shall check him out & that album in particular.

shwabot, linklinc11 and carlwm like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He's been going since the mid-Sixties but came back with a bang, after taking a break for most of the Eighties, in 1989 with an album called Eagle In The Rain , and has released something like eighteen albums since. Bizarrely, he became very popular in Norway and hit the charts there for a few years during the Nineties!

Along with Woodstock Winter & Eagle, I'd say that Tales From The Red Lake (1992), Bluefields (1995) and the two albums he made with country/blues musician, Steinar Albrigtsen, are probably my favourites.

He also formed a band called The Long Walk with some Norwegian musicians, and their one album is well worth a listen if you can find it:

Hope you find something to enjoy!

Joti Cover and bvb1123 like this.
  15. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Spot on for me. I liked the comeback record enough.

Joti Cover, linklinc11 and smilin ed like this.
  16. Kingsley Fats

Doing some research on him I notice that he is mostly an acoustic solo (or duo) artist. I much prefer my music fleshed out with a band.
    So recommendations on albums he has done in a band setting would be most welcome.

My problem is finding time to listen to so much stuff that is new to me. Some of these artists have rather sizable catalogues (such as James McMurty)

An artist that started out in the 60's sitting out the 80's isn't such a bad idea.

linklinc11 and carlwm like this.
  17. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Jericho is top notch, as are Levon's late solo albums.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

All the albums mentioned have full arrangements so you should be alright with them! :righton:

As an aside, I'm a big James McMurtry fan!

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  19. Kingsley Fats

I tend to like all of Levon's albums. I also really like Rick Danko's solo album

20. Kingsley Fats

I think it was you who steered me towards that particular rabbit hole.:D
    I've only managed to listen to one of his albums so far. Liked it.

carlwm likes this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There are a couple of Tom Pacheco songs on Rick's posthumous Times Like These album.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice one! :D

23. Kingsley Fats

I've just consulted my spreadsheet. I've got that album. Another I'll need to go to the shelves to pull out for a listen.

carlwm likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

For a hodge-podge posthumous release, it's a very decent listen.

25. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

[​IMG]
    The Pogues
    If I Should Fall From Grace With God
    Now playing - "If I Should Fall From Grace Of God"

Man, this hurts. I grew up on The Pogues. One of my first and favorite indie bands. Shane wasn't a choirboy and a lot of what happened to him was ultimately somewhat in his control but he frequently succumbed to his demons. For all the beautiful, chaotic music, I tip my glasses to you, Shane.
    Shane MacGowen RIP (25 Dec 1957 - 20 Nov 2023)

linklinc11 and carlwm like this.