The Band 1983-1998: your opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dentone, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

At least we haven't been spammed by The Beatles

MYQ1, Joti Cover, linklinc11 and 4 others like this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I guess he should have been more specific about which The Band we were discussing lol

Joti Cover, 68reissue, Mullin and 4 others like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Jericho is one of my favourite Band albums. Their cover of Dylan's Blind Willie McTell is killer. Why this album has never been reissued (cd or vinyl) is beyond comprehension.

4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I put this in the wrong thread. Sorry.

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’ve done it! No need to apologize, was just funnin’

6. I only ever saw them during this era- twice with Richard Manuel still there & twice after he had passed. They were all great shows, but those first two were especially incredible.

I find something to love in most anything any of them ever recorded. They were a rare group of truly gifted & amazing musicians.

7. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Both Jericho and Jubilation have their strong points. Jericho is more like the old days, if sometimes a little self consciously so. Jubilation is less like the old days, but freer and looser and more fun.

8. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Aligning with the Cate Bros Band early on after Robbie was questionable.
    Pretty much every instrument doubled or even tripled.
    Nothing against the Cates (I like em') but what were they thinking?

9. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Joti Cover likes this.
  10. Kingsley Fats

You should be able to bring the Earth back onto it's axis by posting it in a Beatles thread. :D

smilin ed and MYQ1 like this.
  11. Kingsley Fats

The thing that's most noticeable on these albums is the song writing. Almost nothing written by the members themselves.
    This of course suggests that their complaints about Robbie Robertson hogging the song writing & excluding their efforts had no real substance.

DTK, Louie Visentin, Borgia and 4 others like this.
  12. I like the three albums but agreed the first is the best of the bunch and better than Islands IMHO.

smilin ed likes this.
  13. Dentone

Dentone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, The Band (1983-1998) it's not just "Jericho", "High On The Hog" and "Jubilation" but there are many VHS/DVDs/youtube available from the whole period, also there are guest appearances, for the studio work in addition to "Tombstone" there is "Jericho Outtakes" with a beautiful cover of "Soul Deep" sung by the unmistakable voice of Levon Helm.
    The video below are from "The Band Live In Tokyo 1983" available on DVD and double CD:

14. Dentone

15. Dentone

Bob Dylan 30th anniversary celebration. When I Paint My Masterpiece (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - October 1992)

linklinc11 and Karl1111 like this.
  16. Karl1111

Karl1111 Forum Resident

Bellissimo :)

Dentone likes this.
  17. Dentone

There's one thing I don't like.... the cover of "High On The Hog" doesn't convey the idea of the music contained in the album.

[​IMG]

Karl1111 likes this.
  18. Dentone

The Band's latest studio recording

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

They tried, they really, really tried.

In the end, it seemed as if it was a lack of focus and desire to artistically advance as a group that saw this period as being far from what the public had come to expect.

Don’t get me wrong there were memorable moments in what we heard; it’s just that they were fewer and farther apart than during their halcyon days.

68reissue likes this.
  20. SurrenderToTheRhythm

SurrenderToTheRhythm Forum Resident

I like Jericho a lot, thought it is rather top-heavy. I could never connect with High On The Hog, hard to get past that horrible cover!

Jubilation on the other hand is a really special record for me. I absolutely love it and look forward to revisiting it every autumn on a brisk walk. I think “Book Faded Brown” is the best example of Danko just completely owning a song since “Spill The Wine”. Lots of huge Band fans aren’t even aware that album exists, a shame.

21. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well aside from Robertson, only Richard Manuel was a true songwriter on his own (able to complete songs by writing both words and music himself) though after the first album (where he was Roberson's equal in quantity as a writer) his output then started to diminish greatly (and he seemed to rely more on Robertson as co-writer as well). Of course none of that is relevant to this conversation, since he was long dead before the first reunion album was recorded.

Danko and Helm were minor-writers while Robertson was still in The Band, with probably just enough co-writes (with Robertson) between them to fill one side of an album over the half dozen albums they recorded.

...and they continued pretty much at that level during the reunion years.

According to wikipedia:

1st reunion album:
    Helm co-wrote two songs
    One with two other people, and the other with four other people.
    Danko wrote/co-wrote nothing.
    The rest was covers and songs written by the "new" reunion-era Band-members.

2nd reunion album:
    One track credited to Helm and Hudson + four other people.
    Danko wrote/co-wrote nothing.
    The rest is mostly (if not all) covers.

3rd and final reunion album:
    Three songs credited to "The Band" (+ a different additional co-writer for each song)
    One credited to Helm/Danko + 1 additional co-writer
    One credited to Helm/Danko + 2 additional co-writers
    One credited to Danko with 1 co-writer
    One credited to Helm with 2 co-writers
    One credited to Hudson alone (one would assume its an instrumental).
    + 3 cover songs

So like in the old days with Robertson, it seems that both Helm and Danko were unable to write a song alone (ie without relying on co-writers) during the reunion era as well.

22. Dentone

Sorry but I didn't understand the point of your post. The greatness of "The Band" was the three fantastic lead singers who alternated even in the same song and created unattainable vocal harmonies. Furthermore, the unique arrangements that made even the covers become their own songs (Moondog Matinee an LP of only covers). In the period 1983-1998 the sound remained the same, why should I look at the list of authors? To glorify R.Robertson? The main songwriter left voluntarily, and the others continued without him, for which I will always thank them.

carlwm, Joti Cover and Karl1111 like this.
  23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

What exactly is so difficult for you understand about my answering someone else's incorrect assumption about the other original BAND-members' songwriting prowess and level of output both during Robertson's tenure and post Robertson?

The incorrect assumption I was addressing was that the other (remaining original) members must have taken over from Robertson as major songwriters in the reunion era, when this was clearly NOT the case - as I demonstrated. I also pointed out that during the era with Robertson (outside of Richard Manuel on the 'Big Pink' album) the others (always co-writing with Robertson) could barely manage enough tracks to fill one side of an album. Without Robertson assistance as co-writer (while Robertson was still in the band) the others (aside from Richard Manuel on the 'Big Pink' album) didn't manage to write a single song.

As far as 'Moondog Matinee' goes, it seems Robertson himself had writer's block for 3 or 4 years between 'Cahoots' (1971) and 'Northern Lights, Southern Cross' (1975).

If the other members were such good/prolific songwriters why didn't they pick up the slack from Robertson during that time? The fact that the other four guys couldn't manage between them to write enough to fill even just one album between 1971-75 (assuming they even wrote anything at all in that time) speaks volumes.

1972 - 'Rock Of Ages' - live album with no newly written songs
    1973 - 'Moondog Matinee' - covers album with no newly written songs
    1974 - no album (outside of backing Dylan)

This was in an era where bands normally put out (at least) one album a year. Four years without a single new original song being written/recorded/released definitely wasn't normal at the time.

Anyway if you're so opposed to the facts I laid out, you're free to try to disprove them - rather than just complaining that those facts were even brought up at all (not to mention that they were brought up in direct response to a different person than you).

DTK, bibijeebies and alchemy like this.
  24. Dentone

@wildstar: there is a thread called "Robbie Robertson - did he rip off The Band?" with 168 pages of discussion full of different opinions on songwriting, etc. which you will surely like. I wrote my opinion above (#47), needless to repeat, I am a fan of "The Band" for the entire period of their existence (1967-1998). :)

Karl1111 and carlwm like this.
  25. Dentone