The Band SHM “Flat Transfer” CDs vs Mofi /AF

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grateful Ed, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would anyone care to post some samples from the SHM CDs for The Band titles? Particularly the first 3 albums.

I have the original Mofi gold For Big Pink , the AF gold for S/T and the Mofi SACD for Stage Fright. I’d be happy to provide tracks from these albums for samples for comparison.

I’ve heard some say the SHM discs are the beta digital options for all of The Band’s studio albums and some even suggesting the tapes used were different / better. I’ve already paid a premium for what I consider to be great sounding versions, so I’m hesitant to spend any more money on these SHM discs without hearing some samples.

Thanks!

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This isn't what you're asking at all, but if you consider what you already have to be great, why try and spend more $$$?

john lennonist likes this.
  3. Grateful Ed

Fair point, but just because I think something sounds great doesn't mean it can't be bettered. Like many here, I'm trying to find the best possible versions of my favorite albums. This is precisely why I'm hoping someone will post some samples, so I can hear if the difference (if any) in sound quality is worth spending more money.

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Why posting samples? The SHM-SACDs are the best digital pressings. The differences are so obvious. The MFSL SACDs are only 2nd choice!

5. Grateful Ed

Because I would like to hear for myself if the differences are worth $30+ per disc to me..

What about the AF Brown Album? Is the difference between that and the SHM disc as obvious?

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Different mix, but I still prefer the SHM-SACD.

joelee likes this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I understand. I was just offering an alternate viewpoint. Good luck.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I thought that was Stage Fright?

fluffskul, wayneklein and Grateful Ed like this.
  9. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The MoFi Big Pink beat the SHM on my system.

Sometimes a bit of EQ is ok.

Tullman, Dave, dalem5467 and 2 others like this.
  10. Grateful Ed

I believe that’s Stage Fright... I’m talking about their self-titled album that was mastered by Steve Hoffman for Audio Fidelity in 2009.

fluffskul and hiterss like this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Oops, my fault. Brown album, I prefer the SHM-SACD over the AF.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  12. Grateful Ed

Wow. It’s not often here folks pick a different mastering over Steve’s.

Would you mind elaborating on the differences between the AF and SHM?

David del Toro likes this.
  13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I prefer Steve's AF CD mastering for the brown album over the SHM-SACD. The vocals sound a bit more natural to me. Both are very good though.

I definitely found the SHM-SACD of Music from the Big Pink to be the best though. Way better than the MFSL SACD IMO.

For Stage Freight, I'm happy with the DCC Gold CD and the MFSL SACD for the 2 different mixes.

Cahoots and Rock of Ages are best on SHM-SACDs. The MFSL SACDs sounded too bright to me for these albums.

14. Agree. And second choice sounds damn good too, but Japanese are cream of the crop!

Grateful Ed likes this.
  15. Grateful Ed

Thanks! The vocals really do shine on the AF Brown Album.

How does the original Mofi gold compare to the SHM? I remember that being your previous favorite mastering.

Have you done any comparisons with the SHM Moondog Matinee and Islands with their original Capitol CD counterparts? I have the originals for those 2 albums.

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It's been awhile since I compared the original Gold CD with the SHM-SACD, but I believe I found the SHM-SACD to be a bit more natural sounding. I don't have the Gold CD anymore so can't do a more recent comparison.

I don't have the SHM-SACDs for Moondog and Islands, so can't help you there.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

I recently compared the MFSL Gold CD and MFSL SACD (redbook layer) of Big Pink and prefered the smoother, more analog, less bright sound of the Gold CD.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Playhard2, wellhamsrus and Dave like this.
  18. Grateful Ed

Thanks George! Just to be clear, you were comparing the gold Mofi to the SHM SACD, not the Mofi SACD, right?

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, I compared the MFSL Gold CD to the MFSL SACD (redbook layer.)

Grateful Ed likes this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You are correct.

21. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I agree with this. If you are happy with what you have, why spend the money? I wouldn't upgrade unless the difference is significant and somehow I doubt it is.

22. Grateful Ed

I think you both are missing the point. We’re essentially in agreement. As you say, I don’t want to “upgrade” unless the differences are significant. That is exactly why I was hoping someone would post some samples, so I can judge for myself how significant the differences may be before I spend any money.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Kristofa, frightwigwam and gregorya like this.
  23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

@Grateful Ed in case you still need it, I have the Big Pink and The Band SHM-SACDs and can post samples.
    I think The Band SHM-SACD is the best version of the original mix.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. Grateful Ed

Hey thanks for the offer! I actually went ahead and got copies of the platinum SHM CDs of both titles since I don’t have SACD capabilities. They contain the same mastering if I understand correctly. Looking forward to comparing these against the Mofi gold and AF.

How do you feel about the recent remixes of these albums?

Plan9 and Time Is On My Side like this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Funny you should ask, I just listened to The Band stereo remix on CD tonight. It's okay, the clarity was offset by a congested mix (mastering?) at times, it was weird hearing a very different instrumental balance than what we are used to. So far I prefer the original mix, especially with the SHM mastering.

I haven't heard the Big Pink remix yet. The 5.1 remixes must be where it's at.

Grateful Ed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.