The band Survivor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Jun 11, 2018.

1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I recommend Pride of Lions, Jim Peterik's band. Very much in the vein of Survivor.

2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I saw them on the Vital Signs tour as the opened for REO Speedwagon and they were great. Talk about a great show Survivor and REO.

Cyberhog9, gitters, Isamet and 5 others like this.
  3. I saw them must have been mid 2000s with Robin McCauley on lead vocals. They were the headliners of an all 80s bill. Even after a long hot day, it was lots of fun. Robin sounded just fine and Frankie kept the songs chugging along.

altaeria, Scott Sheagren and carlwm like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yes definitely. They're great. The main singer, Toby Hitchcock sounds more like Bobby Kimball than either of Survivor's vocalists so it's a bit different but he really soars, and it's nice to hear JP sing more lead as well.

Another Peterik project that sneaked out was his duo record with Marc Scherer from 2015. A bit Pride Of Lions-ish but Scherer stamps his own personality on a set of fine songs.

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

My idea of heaven! :righton:

6. Both main lead singers had outstanding rock voices, with Jamison being a bit stronger on melodic/ballad material. They were always more about melody than aggression or sonic innovation so they could seem a little meat-and-potatoes, but I do think there was some inspired material. Were much better when Jim Peterik was on board as a writer. Frankie Sullivan is one of the more unlikable characters in rock (and seems to be lawsuit-happy).

carlwm likes this.
  7. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Agreed!
    I just had a greatest hits by them but now am buying the albums one at a time.i even bought the rocky 4 soundtrack.
    Rocky 4 soundtrack,vital signs,and eye of the tiger are what I have at the moment.next is caught in the game.
    Great underated band

Scottb likes this.
  8. Scott Sheagren

Wow you are lucky!

9. Scott Sheagren

I’m buying their albums one at a time.next is when seconds count,thank you

carlwm likes this.
  10. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

Original lead singer Dave Bickler has been working on a solo record for more than a year that should be available sometime in the near future. Anyone who doubts who was the most talented singer in the band should listen to Bickler's amazing performance on Nothing Can Shake Me From Your Love from the first album. His screaming impassioned vocals near the end give me goosebumps every time.

Eesfahanian, Galley and carlwm like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Really hope you enjoy it! :righton:

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  12. Scott Sheagren

I’m sure I will!
    Vital signs and eye of the tiger are amazing albums.cant wait for Friday to buy another one.im getting the rock candy remastered ones and they sound great.

altaeria and carlwm like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've got the Rock Candy version. It throws in Burning Heart as a bonus! :righton:

Purple, davers and Scott Sheagren like this.
  14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Dave Bickler also was the wonderfully over-the-top singer in the Bud Light "Real American Heroes / Real Men of Genius" radio and TV ads. They were so popular that Bud Light released three CDs' worth of 60-second spots (20 on each).

15. Scott Sheagren

and vital signs has moment of truth!i love that song from the Karate Kid

Galley and carlwm like this.
  16. Scott Sheagren

i bought when seconds count!
    next is caught in the game.

carlwm likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Caught In The Game is, I reckon, unfairly maligned. It's full of strong rock songs and a good deal heavier than the first two Jimi records. For me, it's not quite as brilliant as those but it's only a smidgeon behind. Jackie Don't Go should have been a smash.

JeffMaher and Galley like this.
  18. Scott Sheagren

im thinking about premonition also soon

carlwm likes this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

My first big Rock show. I was in what 6th grade and my dad got us seats in the nosebleeds up at Oakland Coliseum Arena.

carlwm likes this.
  20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Wow you're very luck as I didn't see my first rock show until I was 16 and I saw Aerosmith at Madison Square Garden.

21. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

Earworm of the day....
    "Smart and coy, a little crazy. The kind of face that starts a fight. Lemme tell you 'bout the girl I had last night..."

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This one

Jimi may have been a bit more video friendly but Bickler had some pipes still.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Their best with Dave Bickler, to my ears at least.

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Survivor & REO is a dream bill.

Been lucky enough to catch REO a few times. Always brilliant.

Had tickets to see Survivor during their 2014 British tour but of course it was all cancelled when poor Jimi departed this world.

gitters likes this.
  25. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I went to a Styx / REO double-bill in Delaware around 1999 or 2000. As I was waiting in line to go into the venue, there were promo flyers hanging nearby that said Survivor was the “special guest opening act”! I had no idea they were gonna play so I was totally surprised and really excited. Then I soon found out that they cancelled and weren’t going to play after all. Ugh.

carlwm likes this.