The Bangles "Doll Revolution" vinyl release from Real Gone Music (RSD Black Friday 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Oct 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The Bangles, Doll Revolution (2-LP, streaked pink vinyl, 1,500 copies)

Originally released in 2003, Doll Revolution remains a favorite in The Bangles’ catalogue, featuring all the qualities fans have come to expect – songwriting, vocals, and instrumental skill. For its debut on vinyl, Real Gone Music will press The Bangles’ celebrated Doll Revolution (featuring the rocking Elvis Costello-penned title track) on streaked pink vinyl in a limited edition of 1,500, each hand-numbered. The album will be packaged in a newly designed gatefold sleeve with an insert. This edition is fully approved by the band. Tear off your own head…it’s a Doll Revolution!

2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm not a vinyl fan, but this is a fabulous (and underrated) album.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for posting! Always liked this band and need this one on vinyl.

Sean, Hep Alien and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

Incidentally, Real Gone will also be re-releasing their last album (to date) "Sweetheart Of The Sun" on vinyl in November:

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-bangles/sweetheart-of-the-sun

The last (2011) record released by The Bangles - now a trio of Susanna Hoffs and Debbi and Vicki Peterson - is one of their best, a loving paean to ‘60s pop inspired in part by Sheila Weller’s book Girls Like Us, which intertwines the stories of Laurel Canyon singer-songwriters Joni Mitchell, Carole King, and Carly Simon. You’ll hear plenty of that Laurel Canyon vibe on this record from these three songwriters, as well as some nods to The Bangles’ power pop past, all blessed with the vocal harmony arrangements that the group’s fans treasure. Produced by Matthew Sweet, Sweetheart of the Sun was out on vinyl for a heartbeat, with original copies costing a fortune; the Real Gone reissue - released with the full cooperation of the band - features the original album art complete with inner sleeve. Purple with pink swirl vinyl pressing limited to 900 copies!

BluesOvertookMe, troggy, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Pretty sure this is a December release as the 11th is a Friday. Is this a Rough Trade UK exclusive?

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. pghmusiclover

Right silly me for not noticing that! The Bangles is not a Rough Trade exclusive, since I first saw it listed in one of my emails from Townsend Music in the UK. I have not yet seen it listed on Real Gone's website or in their e-mail updates.

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's a nice album, but to my mind "Sweetheart of the Sun" is a real lost classic.

8. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

On Real Gone's site I used their search for Bangles and listed first was a file 2020-12-04 The Bangles LP.pdf. Dec 4th is the date for Sweetheart. The rest of the text matches above.

ToEhrIsHuman and pghmusiclover like this.
  9. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

Fabulous album, look forward to getting this. One of the most underrated power pop bands

10. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Love this album. I'll be in for the vinyl if I can find it.

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Earlier in the year there was an interview with Debbie Peterson where she said vinyl issues were in the works for these 2. So glad these are coming out. I have the rare issue of Sweetheart of the Sun and it sounds much better than the cd. So I'm hoping the vinyl Doll Revolution will be an improvement too as I really don't care for the over compressed sound of the cd.

12. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

Glad these are getting vinyl releases/reissues. I'm definitely buying. I've seen fans complain that they records are not being remixed or including unreleased/alternate tracks, though.

13. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

14. pghmusiclover

that would be cool — I’d like the self-titled sophomore album too!

Porkpie and ToEhrIsHuman like this.
  15. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

If it's not brickwalled like the CD, it will definitely be worth picking up.

Sean, aseriesofsneaks, jkerr and 3 others like this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like both albums. Up there with their "hit" ones, quality-wise. Happy enough with my CDs though.

Steve Mc likes this.
  17. Tom Matthews

Tom Matthews Forum Resident

Yes, going by the running time of the 'Doll Revolution' cd, they could fit bonus tracks on Side 4. They will probably spread out the 15 tracks and give it a little better fidelity. I'm picking up two copies, which is going to cost me $80-$90 just for collectability. I will leave them sealed.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Sean, Hep Alien and Steve Mc like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

I am not sure how many unreleased or alternate tracks there would be, though I seem to recall my Japanese CD of "Doll" had a few bonus tracks...

19. Tom Matthews

There are quite a few demos, outtakes, and early/alternate mixes in circulation from the Doll Revolution era (at least 30 mins worth) if you look for them on You Tube or Dimeadozen etc... I uploaded this demo with Susanna and Micki on my You Tube channel:

Early mixes: The Bangles* - Doll Revolution 6 Song Sampler

Plus, there is an early mix of 'Get The Girl' that their management pressed promo copies of on cdr from Tsunami Entertainment.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Hep Alien, jkerr and Steve Mc like this.
  20. Steve Mc

This is one of the unreleased songs. There are a few others, some as yet unheard (at least by me).

IMMusicRulz, Sean, starduster and 4 others like this.
  21. Tom Matthews

Does anybody know if there are more than one version each of the first 3 Bangles reissues on Wounded Bird Records? Check out the track listing for each cd, especially on 'All Over The Place' that shows track #15 'James' (Alternate) (previously unreleased, featuring vocal by Vicki Peterson) The track listing on all 3 of the cds does not match what I've been able to find. Any ideas? Reissue Theory: The Bangles - The Second Disc

IMMusicRulz and Hep Alien like this.
  22. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Maybe it will be 45RPM. ;)

23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Doll Revolution is a “Record Store Day First”, meaning after this limited edition it will get a regular release so don’t pay silly prices for a copy on ebay if you can’t get one on the day. More than likely the regular release will be black vinyl too.

Sean and troggy like this.
  24. Steve Mc

Pretty sure that blog post is sharing the author's opinion of what he thought the reissues should have been. One line: "Now, I realize all three are available, with a bonus track each, from Wounded Bird Records. But I suppose there isn’t anything stopping a guy from imagining what could be."

Porkpie likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They were also doing this in their live sets at the time. Possibly the best 60s cover the Bangles ever did.

Sean, Hep Alien, GoodKitty and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.