The Bangles: Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Mc, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia Thread Starter

Finally, a little piece on The Cutting Edge

KaBluie, goodiesguy and GoodKitty like this.
  2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I didn't hear The Real World until the 3" CD was released many years later. Wish I'd heard it upon release as I'm sure I would have loved it. Good lead in to the debut LP.

Steve Mc likes this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Huge fan of "The Real World" and the Bangles at this stage.

I had a copy of the EP way back in the late 1980's, sold it off at some point and then found another copy shopping at Amoeba in San Francisco just three years ago. It was pretty cheap too.

It seems the EP was originally issued on Faulty Products and then later on IRS.

Steve Mc likes this.
  4. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

The 3" CD features a remix of "The Real World."

Steve Mc likes this.
  5. Steve Mc

And here it is!

KaBluie, ascot and vinnie like this.
  6. Steve Mc

I'm In Line
    The EP's second track has Debbi sing lead on a song she co-wrote with Vicki and Susanna. This is a delightful track. It has a definite 60s vibe, but I think it complements this with a sort of punkish energy that makes it sound very fresh, then and now. Debbi's voice has a kind of smokey quality to it, which really grounds the song and blends interestingly with the instrumentation and harmony vocals. I find the shifts in the melodic material to be done very well indeed, and it is all grounded with a very nice Taxman style bassline. Great track.

KaBluie, redsock, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This is the track that really caught my ear immediately when first listening to the Ep. It solidified my confidence that the group had talent, smarts, and a lot of range.

redsock, Steve Mc and GoodKitty like this.
  8. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Great thread - some new territory to explore here for sure.

First thing I have by them is the 12" EP, it's great but I'd love to get hold of that first 45. It's pretty costly as an artefact of California powerpop I suppose, rather than as a specific collectors item for this wildly underrated band?

That first 45 has a real Mamas (without, I guess, the Papas) vibe to it.

Steve Mc and GoodKitty like this.
  9. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Missed the first couple of posts: "The Real World" is a top song that's only been rarely matched by anything released after. My story about this song is that I actually heard it played on the radio once when it was released -- but the DJ never said who it was. I listened to that stupid station non-stop for the next 2 days until I heard it *one more time* -- but the DJ announced the band. Ran out and bought the EP (and I never bought EPs) and that was all it took. "The Real World" is a great, great song.

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Wow, never heard this before or knew it existed. I don't have the 3" CD.

Steve Mc and Tim S like this.
  11. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

For me, there are two essential Bangles releases: Greatest Hits, and Ladies & Gentlemen...The Bangles! As with the Go-Gos, I love both their rougher, rawer early material and their slick, poppier latter-day tracks.

Looking forward to the rest of this thread!

goodiesguy, Steve Mc and GoodKitty like this.
  12. Steve Mc

Yeah, me too! Some fans tend to dismiss one or the other, but, for me, this variety in both respective groups makes things very interesting, and, besides, if you go beneath surface trappings, the same artistic voice is there.

13. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I'm In Line is my favorite early Bangles song by far. Everything about it is top drawer (except maybe the mix.).

Debbi's voice is their secret weapon ... well, one of this band's many secret weapons.

GoodKitty likes this.
  14. Steve Mc

I'm glad you brought that up. Something does seem a little bit off about it. But that's a minor gripe all in all.
    And, yeah, Debbi's voice is fantastic, as we'll continue to hear.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Is that Micki playing bass? Crushing it here.

ETA: Whoa, wasn't expecting that guitar break. This song kicks ****.

Steve Mc likes this.
  16. Steve Mc

Micki had not joined the band yet. The bass is credited to Annette, but, I have read some speculate that the intricacy of the line (plus its similarity to the one on "Getting Out of Hand") suggest that it is actually V. Peterson on this track. For my part, I do hear a noticeable difference in style and tone between this line and the one on the other tracks on the EP. As well, it has a strong Beatlesque quality, a musical influence that Annette was not as much affected by as Hoffs and the Peterson sisters.

GoodKitty, Scopitone and Tim S like this.
  17. Scopitone

Thanks. You undoubtedly already went into all that in an earlier post, but I was first reading through the thread late last night before going to sleep and so probably forgot!:hide:

18. Scopitone

The Real World

Sue's got that rasp in her voice that I have always loved. It brings a rawness to the song, contrasting with the lovely harmony vocals and the Rickenbacher (?) chords. This is just a perfect piece of hardcore 60's influenced power pop that speeds in and doesn't overstay its welcome. Beatle-esque with a side of the Pleasure Seekers. The videos are a terrific time capsule (as, ironically, all their videos are).

Speaking of videos - I remember back in the early '00s buying online a collection of home-made VHS recordings (from MTV, etc). There were I think five tapes, and I don't recall any of the "Real World" video clips in this thread being on there. At the time, I was most excited that the recordings include Behind the Music and some concert footage. It was probably right after I saw them on the reunion tour.

15 years later with the rise of Youtube, I could have saved $40 and built a more comprehensive playlist. But I wish I still had those tapes, just the same.

19. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'm In Line is another good track that sounds like it could have been on the first album but for the production. The debut LP sounds downright glossy compared to the EP. Which is funny as the debut album sounds very raw as compared to the second disc.

20. Steve Mc

Want You

Vicki sings this track, which she also wrote. It is an unapologetically messy rock track, with some punk thrown in there. The thrashy guitar licks are rather infectious.

Jimmy B., troggy and Anonamemouse like this.
  21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I like "Want You" and all of the harder rocking songs they did on the debut album. The generally pop things Susanna sang are countered by these punk infused numbers from Vicki and it's a nice balance.

GoodKitty and Steve Mc like this.
  22. Scopitone

That Chuck Berry riff at :40 is pure punk, of my favorite style - see Johnny Thunders. I kept waiting for it to happen again. This is a great tune, but that’s easily my favorite bit.

The drumming is intense, too.

Steve Mc and troggy like this.
  23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, "Want You" is a terrific song and maybe the best one to play for someone who only knows the Bangles' hits. It's a pretty stark contrast to stuff like "Manic Monday" and "Eternal Flame".

Steve Mc likes this.
  24. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Bought this from their website about 15 years ago...I think they said they'd found a old box of unsold singles and you could get a signed one for about $25 I think, delivered... It's the one with a green label...

[​IMG]

25. Steve Mc

For my money, the definitive version of "Want You" is this live 1986 recording.