The BBC LS3/5a, a voice still to be reckoned with.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Try some of these; they might work.

US distributor: Reference Monitor International, Inc., 4901 Morena Blvd., Suite 309, San Diego, CA 92117; Golden String, 17825 NE 65th Street, A110, Redmond, WA 98052

2. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I will!
    I see Stirling is in Sommerset, not far from some family I have in the UK.
    While you couldn't put a GRF Autograph under an airplane seat, a pair of LS35/As shouldn't be such a problem.
    Jeff

3. Steve Hoffman

I just emailed Stirling about some dedicated stands for the LS3/5a's. We'll see how easy it is to get something shipped here.

I think those latest Tannoy "retro" designs are way overpriced....They sound great, but 15 grand? The ugly gray studio versions are only 3 grand or something...

4. wes

wes Senior Member

Hey Steve,

How long has Tannoy been making speakers? Do they still make the big loudspeakers similar to yours, and are they as good?

I'd like to hear a pair............

-Wes

5. wes

wes Senior Member

I ordered direct from Doug...........I don't know if he's got distributors..........I need to check his site again.

-Wes

6. Steve Hoffman

Tannoy has been making speakers forever.

Go here:

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk

Type in Tannoy. When you get to the Tannoy pages, scroll down, and go to page two and keep scrolling until you hit the retro models. Whoa, neat, eh? Too much money, but neat. And they sound just like my pair of Dual 15's!

Attached Files:

7. wes

wes Senior Member

Hey that would be even more fun to go visit the factory and pick em up yourself.:thumbsup:..........................

They need about 200 hours of break in. Imaging and detail will improve.

-Wes

8. wes

wes Senior Member

Those look like your other taller ones..........They still look like that? SWEET!!!

Thanks for the link Steve, I'll check it out.

-Wes

9. Steve Hoffman

My vintage Tannoy Lancasters in use.

Attached Files:

10. wes

wes Senior Member

I just took a look, they don't look like the picture you sent, but they're still cool looking.

-Wes

11. wes

wes Senior Member

SWEET!!!!

The whole set up just has that nice antique type of look, very cool.

-Wes

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

13. Angel

Angel New Member

That is a nice setup. What exactly is in there? I see an old Dual turntable, but what else?

14. wes

wes Senior Member

Cool! Thanks Andrew

-Wes

15. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

Ooooo Steve, I am so envious!! :righton:

16. Steve Hoffman

Audio Girl!

Sings (to the tune of "Island Girl" by Elton John)

"Audio Girl, what 'cha doin' in our all boy world?" (You too, Angel!) ;)

17. Steve Hoffman

Angel, my goal was to have a vintage system that would have been state of the art in 1965.

There is a German ELAC Miracord turntable at the top left. Under that is a Marantz 7C preamplifier with all Telefunken 12AX7's (of course). Under that is a modern LA Audio tubed phono section, made in Denmark. It has such a sweet sound for playing back 78's that I use it only for that purpose. And on the bottom is the Marantz 8B stereo amplifier with Mullard EL34's. That is about the best one could have done in the early 1960's and actually a doctor owned this system.

On the other side of the cabinet is a 1966 Marantz 10B tubed tuner. Under that is a pair of McIntosh MC-30's with consecutive serial numbers from 1960. GE 6L6GC output tubes of course for that "midrange magic" sound I love so much. Under that is an early McIntosh C-20 preamp which in fact is no longer there (sold to a lucky Forum member). I miss it!

The Tannoy Lancasters are from 1967 and have that fancy woodwork, although a plain cabinet was much more common.

So, I have a Marantz system and a Mac system both hooked up to the Tannoys with the turntable and a Sony CDP-X-77-ES CD player hooked up to both. This way I can enjoy the "Mac" sound and the Marantz sound any time I want or need to. This system comes in very handy when I need to hear what something might have sounded like way back when. Most everything I master is previewed on this setup first.

Attached Files:

18. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Are your Tannoys using their Dual Concentric Gold drivers? Those were the standard driver that was used by the Canadian Broadcasing Corp. up here a while back.

19. Steve Hoffman

Yes, 15" dual concentric Golds. The best!

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy4.htm

20. wes

wes Senior Member

Steve, I noticed that you joined the LS35A user group.............:thumbsup:
    Lots of Rogers experts in the group.

-Wes

21. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's a little deeper than I need to go but it's interesting reading.

I love the little suckers because they are so small and portable but yet have the same damn sonic signature as my giant mastering speakers upstairs. That tickles me!

22. wes

wes Senior Member

They're the ones responsible for clogging up my mailbox too.

:nauga: :laugh:

-Wes

23. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

That's a wonderful looking system.
    The cabinet is especially nice. I am running a vintage system too.
    I am using a Garrard 301 with an SME 3009 Arm, Goldring Cartridge, Ear Phono Stage, passive pre-amp, and a Leak Stereo 20 powering Tannoy DCs. (Modern ones I am afraid.) I passed on the Leak pre-amp as it was a bit noisy and the pickup setting didn't seem to have enough gain. I am going to try to get it going for listening to 78s. Jeff
    Damned if I want a pair of LS3s now!

24. Steve Hoffman

Nice system. How do you like your 301? I have an original Garrard 301 sitting here and was thinking of having it restored.

25. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm only famliar with the Garrard changer a couple of my relatives bought, and the Zero-100. Didn't realize they had models you could use a separate tonearm with. :) Just Googled around and came up with this site:

http://www.garrard501.com/rebuild.html

Looks like Loricraft is now the owner of the Garrard name, and rebuilds the 301's and 401's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.