The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

I will say that in the streaming era, having made in California available on all streaming sites is a nice thing.
    Have a friend who wants to get deeper into the catalog? Just send them a link to that and tell them to listen to it.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What is the one (or two or three) tracks you all are looking forward to most on Feel Flows?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's hard for me to pick three, but here goes. I'm most eager to hear:

All I Wanna Do (session intro, track & backing vocals)
    Til I Die (long version with alternate lyrics)
    Surf’s Up Part 1 (1971 remake track with 1966 Brian vocal)

4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Both fascinating dives into the tracks, though they made the right choice not using the 1971 track for Surf's Up.

supermd likes this.
  5. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

To be fair, I can't wait for the vinyl copies of Sunflower and Surf's Up with the bonus tracks on each side.

Still, I hope my "purist" side won't find it strange to listen to extra tracks between "Student Demonstration Time" and "Feel Flows", for example.

FJFP and supermd like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This presentation makes both of those platters essentially useless to me. They would probably already be useless to me, I suppose, as I have the original artisan pizza versions and the Analogue Productions pressings. I'm only buying the vinyl set for records 3 and 4.

I probably should just buy the CD set and save the money and the space, but I'd probably have to turn in my membership card if I did. We're too late in the game for me to start making rational decisions now. :winkgrin:

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It’s very interesting to hear Brian sing something different and more positive than “I lost my way” and “It Kills My Soul”, but they didn’t match the “existential crisis” based lyrics of the verses :)

pablo fanques and supermd like this.
  8. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

This was briefly leaked last week, along with the long ending to "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again". The lyric changes were subtle ("I found my way"), but yes, it doesn't quite match up with the rest of the song.

Lost In The Flood and supermd like this.
  9. Big Sur 4/4 version

Several tracks I’m looking forward to:
    San Miguel (2020 Mix): as The original 1969 mix that appeared on 10 years of harmony and the good vibrations box is literally mono except for the drums, it’ll be nice to have a fully stereo version of the track.
    It’s a new day: it’s been booted forever, but it’ll finally be nice to hear it in high-quality.
    Soulful old man sunshine (2019 Mix): The mix made in the 90s that appeared on endless harmony and made in California is great, but does have some spaces where it is being played through some sort of filter, so it will be nice to hear the track newly mixed.
    Behold the Night: completely finished Dennis harpsichord ballad from July 1971? Please and thank you.
    I’ve Got a Friend (Track): obviously it’s very far from completion, but one of Dennis’s Best tracks he ever made is still one of the best tracks he ever made, and even the backing track will be worth a listen.
    Won’t You Tell Me (Demo): Brian singing and playing the organ with Murry? Sounds absolutely fascinating

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"I found my way" and "It fills my soul." Should be interesting.

FJFP likes this.
  11. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Yeah, I probably would have thought twice before purchasing this set if I was in your shoes. lol

In my case, finding a good copy of both "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" would probably have me spending as much as I did on this set. AND I get two extra records and a booklet in this case, so it's a done deal for me.

12. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

You're a legend! I knew (educated guess) it would have something to do with Page Source. These are going in my private collection.

Mr. D likes this.
  13. Big Sur 4/4 version

It’s actually “that holds me up” and “I’ll find my way.”
    Sang by a very bored sounding Brian

14. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Ultimate Classic Rock has posted a review of this set (apparently not getting the memo that its release date got pushed back), but it’s very positive: Beach Boys, 'Feel Flows': Album Review

granata, yesteryear and Natural E like this.
  15. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

granata, yesteryear and Natural E like this.
  16. pool_of_tears

The original lines work perfectly and he was probably doing it, just to appease the others. I can understand how some of the guys may have found the song a downer and wanted something more positive, but I think all of the surviving members will now say the song is perfect as it is :)

Sammy Banderas and supermd like this.
  17. pool_of_tears

You beat me to it.

This one was supposed to have been part of the bonus tracks for the 2000 remastered discs.

FJFP likes this.
  18. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

For real? How'd I miss that?! I guess I was busy 24/7 with packing / moving. Anyone have any leftovers for an old friend?

19. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Add the two HQ versions of ‘My Solution’ we are getting and I’m right there with ya

RAZORMADE and Clarkophile like this.
  20. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Is this going to be available for HR download Friday?

21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Bruce especially. I think he referred to it as "the last great Brian Wilson song" or something along those lines in Endless Harmony.

jeremylr and pool_of_tears like this.
  22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

In the latest Endless Summer Quarterly they do indeed all sing its praises: Mike too, says, "we all have those times when we feel like this and we can all relate" (a paraphras as I'm too lazy to look it up.)

It's one of those great "album" issues where everybody is interviewed for the album (Surf's Up, in this case), or quotes from older articles are used, and there's a "who-played-what" bit.

I love those issues!!! The main reason I have a subscription.

23. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Having both seems to contradict what another poster has written, that all the 2CD tracks are on the 5CD.

Re Made In California, the whole thing annoys me - fans like us buy these things for the rarities and newly discovered or remixed tracks. You could probably boil MIC down to a single CD of those essentials. The live tracks etc are just nice to have, but so many of the selections from the classic era overlap with e.g. Good Vibrations box. Plus I hate those CD holders!

I guess my kind of reissue is the Pet Sounds sessions (which Feel Flows should be similar to) and Sunshine Tomorrow. If only the 1968 stuff had been on CD as well.

24. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I'm very excited about this release but it's a shame they didn't remix the albums like they did on Sunshine Tomorrow. It also would've made the way they stuck those bonus tracks on the double LP version a little less annoying, IMO.

RAZORMADE, FJFP and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. I saw The Beach Boys last night in concert and they performed Add Some Music, Feel Flows and It’s About Time from the Feel Flows box era. John Stamos wasn’t there so no Forever. I was hoping Bruce would have sung Disney Girls but no such luck.

This was at/sponsored by a local town so they had a sign language interpreter on the side of the stage. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the sign language version of Feel Flows.