The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

2. Big Sur 4/4 version

There is no reason to have both, unless you care about the two CD version having shorter fades.
    Other than that, the tracks are exactly the same.
    Examples: San Miguel on the five CD version is 2:34, while on the 2CD it’s only 2:20.
    I’m going your way is 2:24 on the 5 CD, but on the 2CD it’s 2:10.
    Soulful old man sunshine is 3:14 on the 5CD, 2:59 on the 2CD.
    Wouldn’t it be nice to live again is 6:50 on the 5CD version, but only 4:35 on the 2CD.
    Behold the night is 2:28 on the 5CD, 2:22 on the 2CD.
    Medley: all of my love/ecology is 5:06 on the 5CD, only 4:15 on the 2CD.
    Awake is 3:44 on the 5CD, only 3:17 on the 2CD.
    I think I’ve made my point, there is absolutely no reason for you to have both if you already have the five CD.

3. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Does anyone think there is a chance we might see in the not too distant future CD versions of the streaming only 1968 and 1969 sets?

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think it’s unlikely. It should’ve happened, in my opinion, and could’ve been a 3 cd set. Same
    For Sunshine Tomorrow 2…could’ve been the third disc of the 2017 set. But, there’s nothing we can do. Best to make cdr’s and print some artwork. Use a good quality disc and burn at a slow speed. It’s what I did. :)

FJFP and javilu77 like this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Did Mike point at you?

[​IMG]

Shawn likes this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I wish, but as pool_of_tears wrote unlikely. Because "no one" buys physical media these days. :rolleyes:

.....except I would buy it immediately.

7. That’s akin to being blessed by the Pope. Which hasn’t happened to me - yet - either.

noname74 likes this.
  8. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I don't like CDRs. I used to have dozens and gave them away.
    If Feel Flows sells well perhaps the record company will reconsider?

Me too!

I would rather be blessed by Mr. Love.

9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Actually, as dark as they may be, those lyrics were like a punch in the gut to me and can almost make me cry when I hear them. They are the main attraction of the song to me.

10. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Uneducated guess:

Fourth of July
    Soulful Old Man Sunshine

12. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I assume we will get a track from each member before the final release date? Maybe a Bruce one this time along with a Dennis or Carl track? And then the last track before the release date will be a Brian song.

13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Look, I know that this question must seem preposterous but, well..., hey..., anybody?

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Uneducated guess #2:
    San Miguel
    Surfs Up (live 73')

15. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Nope. The 2LP version is literally just LPs 1 and 3 from the 4LP. They appear to be identical.

FJFP likes this.
  16. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Thank you. 4 LP (and 5 CD, natch') version alone it will be then. :thumbsup:

John Manning and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  17. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I was blessed by the Pope when I was a baby, but I would love Mike to point at me like that.

18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

They call it The Fickle Finger of Love. It bestows blessings. Terrible blessings.

19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Just hope he doesn't follow it up with a throat cutting motion. :D

oldsurferdude and Shawn like this.
  20. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

That would kill my soul.

Shawn and edenofflowers like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

lol no

javilu77 and FJFP like this.
  22. Big Sur 4/4 version

Well given that we got Disc 1 track 16 and disc 2 track 17, and the fact that on certain websites you can already listen to disk 4 track 18, I think it’s logical to think that one of the tracks we’re getting on Friday would be disc five track 19.
    So I wouldn’t be surprised if the two tracks are a wider release of the Surfs Up A cappella and the alternate Back Home.
    As for what I would choose if I were picking the singles, maybe… Good Time 2019 mix and It’s a new day

Shawn likes this.
  23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I like the "something from every member" approach being theorized, especially since everybody was producing strong material at this point. Not sure if it's actually happening (as much as I like it) but if it is, my money's on something from Carl and Bruce on Friday, and then something each from Dennis and Brian in the August lead-up. Maybe the Feel Flows release on the 27th will be accompanied by "Add Some Music To Your Day" as a 'single', whether in its remastered or alternate form.

jeremylr, lemonade kid, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  24. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Surf's Up is — I think — the only Beach Boys album where the band has performed every song live. Feel Flows is giving us "Long Promised Road" (1972), "Take a Load Off Your Feet" (1993), "Disney Girls" (1982), "Student Demonstration Time" (1971), and "Surf's Up" (1973). If there's a live release later this year, there's the potential to get four of the other five: "Don't Go Near The Water", "Feel Flows", "Lookin' at Tomorrow", and "A Day In The Life of a Tree" were all performed live in 1971.

"'Til I Die" is where we definitely won't get anything, as it's only been played live by the Mike & Bruce-era Beach Boys as well as Brian solo, and I'm sure Mark and Alan didn't want to wade in the middle of that conflict by including a performance by one or the other on Feel Flows. Both acts performing it from the 2000s onward leaves it entirely out of place for a copyright live release this year, so while we won't get a performance of "'Til I Die", I hope 1971 soundboard recordings for the other four songs exist in the vaults and will be released.

25. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member