The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

That is interesting. Is it a different version? The reason I ask is that Brian's voice has a slight deterioration that wasn't present on the rest of the "Sunflower" tracks. His '71 vocals for "Passing By" also sound closer to "Til I Die" in terms in tone.

2. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I think Murry died in 1972/1973, although I'm not 100% on that. Brian and Dennis both seriously damaged their voices in the aftermath of Murry's passing.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Very likely, but I was thinking more along the lines of:

the failure of Breakaway...the session tapes reveal Brian in very much a workman mode
    selling of Sea Of Tunes publishing
    all of ther hard work on Sunflower, especially with Brian fully ob board and it's commercial failure
    the crap treatmeant by Capitol

Two things I'd do, if I could go back in time...buy Sea Of Tunes from Murry and sell it to The Beach Boys for $1, and also buy all of the master tapes and session tapes from capitol, so they'd own everything...and get brian some help/no more drugs.

4. pool_of_tears

I belive the vocals for that Passing By demo are from 1972...the high end of his voice is starting to erode a little, from the constant cocaine use.

5. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I believe The Beach Boys had possession of their tapes almost from day one, but Murry selling Sea of Tunes probably dealt Brian the biggest blow. If Brian had gotten the help he needed, he most likely could have saved his voice and created many more masterpieces, not to mention his mental well-being.

6. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Haven't heard the Break Away session tapes, but it is one of my favorites. I especially love Brian's demo/lead. Listening to session tapes is always fascinating.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  7. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I too saw them recently and have to concur. Having said that, I saw them 3 or 4 years back and they were great (Mike and Bruce's voices not withstanding). Was it Foskett that was holding the whole BB/BW touring things together? I don't think it was just Jeff's absence that accounted for the vast difference between my last two BB gigs, but I have to wonder.

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I bet Foskett is more instrumental than we'd think for a rhythm guitarist/backing vocalist. I have a lot of respect for him.

9. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

A Sunflower box? I'm all for it... but I agree with the earlier poster that it is a different kettle of fish to the pre-20/20 Capitol Output. Sunflower is a great early 70s Southern Cal pop/rock album, but for a large part of it we're no longer in Brianworld.

10. Lance LaSalle

No, but we're in Dennis/Carl/Brian world with some good input from Al, Mike and Bruce.

Brian's contributions:
    • the great vocal arrangment of "Slip ON Through", some production
    • The music and lyrics of "This Whole World" and half the production, including the brilliant vocal arrangemen
    • The music and some of the lyrics and all of the production of "Add Some Music", including arragements
    • credited as co-writer of "Deirdre", though I doubt he had anything to do with it.
    • The backing vocal arrangement of "Forever", very prominent backing vocal
    • Some of the production for "All I Wanna Do", which is based on a 68 track he definitely produced, plus co-wrote the dang song, arranged the vocals and sings a co-lead vocal
    • Wrote the music for "Our Sweet Love", probably some of the words too
    • Co-wrote "He Came to My Window", prominent vocal, vocal arrangment
    • Wrote/arranged/produced most of the first and second parts of "Cool Cool Water"(which the third part is based on), sang co-lead vocals, played Moog synthesizer in teh end, probably arranged some vocals
    Yeah, it's not Pet Sounds or Today! or Friends, with Brian utterly dominating, but Brian worked pretty hard on it. I

f you count he outtakes, you have more than enough for a full Brian-written and produced album that could have been released in 1970, if you're the type to decide you are only giving shrift to the Brian-related songs.

11. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

My fave post-Pet Sounds BB album. Yes, I'd definitely be in for a box set.

12. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I'd love to see it happen. It is my fav Beach Boys album after Pet Sounds.

13. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Lance, what would a “full Brian-written and produced album” include? TIA

14. Lance LaSalle

I should say co-written and mostly produced. I don't think Brian ever had an album without co-writes.

All of this could have gone on Sunflower. This is not meant as a "playlist", it's not sequenced. Bold titles were on Sunflower. He's credited to half the songs already, though the Deirdre credit is dubious. The others are outtakes.

• This Whole World (Brian Wilson) --produced Brian and Carl
    • Add Some Music (Wilson-Love-Knott) --produced by Brian
    • Our Sweet Love (Wilson-Carl Wilson-Al Jardine) -- Brian and Carl
    • Deirdre (Wilson-Johnston) (if this counts)-- Bruce
    • At My Window (Wilson-Al Jardine) -- Brian, Al, Carl
    • Cool Cool Water (Wilson-Love) --Brian, Al, Carl, Bruce)
    • Games Two Can Play (Wilson)--Brian
    • I Just Got My Pay (Wilson)--Brian
    • Soulful Old Man Sunshine (Wilson-Henn) --Brian and Rick Henn
    • Back Home (Wilson-Norberg) --Brian and Al
    • Where Is She (Wilson)- Brian
    • 'Til I Die (Wilson)-Brian
    • When Girls Get Together-(Wilson-Love) Brian
    • Take a Load Off Your Feet (Wilson-Jardine and some other guy) --Carl, Al
    The problem with this, is so many great non-Brian songs would have been left off. Really, I wish they had released two albums.

15. Raretomcat

Raretomcat New Member

yeah that would be cool if they would do something with sweet & bitter
    I read the book 'The Lost Song' by Don Goldberg.. lot of info that i didnt know about.

16. frumpledobre

frumpledobre Forum Resident

Don't forget Good Time! I Just Got My Pay is also an Al co-write, bizarrely left off the credits in '93 (same with Mike on HELP). That and Good Time kinda seem like sibling songs. It's clear Brian was responsible for the music and production of both though. It also sounds like he was behind the vocal arrangement for Susie Cincinnati and maybe had some production involvement, I'm not sure (he at least felt strongly enough about the song to play around with it in Holland and have it as the b-side to his own stuff three whole times for...some reason).

Brian's writing credit on Feet was apparently an error, but he was heavily involved in the production and arrangement. At least the organ, foot shuffling and water bottle dinging were him. On the other end of the spectrum Soulful Old Man Sunshine's backing track was cut by Rick Henn without Brian's involvement because he didn't show up.

If you're counting the post-Sunflower/pre-proper-Surf's-Up sessions too, Big Sur is supposedly Brian's arrangement. I'd guess that was a Brian/Carl co-production like 'Til I Die.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  17. dvakman

I think Brian got a Dierdre credit because "The trouble you had, it wasn't all bad" hook is the same melody as "We're together again, we're together again"...

Ken K and oldsurferdude like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

According to Bruce it was credit for Brian writing two lines of lyric.

saborlord123, Yorick and rockerreds like this.
  19. dvakman

OK Bruce, but I think you nabbed some melody too.

saborlord123 and Peace N. Love like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd put the money on "Baby 1, 2, 3 and you're back with me" being Brian.

:D

21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

This, to me, is one of the few tracks that you can hear old and young Brian at the same time.

22. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

You almost got your wish. Sunflower was released how it is due to two reasons; Warner’s rejected the Add Some Music album and song lineup, and two, Capitol backed out of releasing Reverberation. We could have had two Beach Boys albums out within months of each other with plenty of Brian tunes between the two. Sunflower wound up being a combo of the two, along with two added songs; It’s About Time and Cool, Cool Water.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. pool_of_tears

Yep, he was going in that direction.

24. Lance LaSalle

Wow, a lot of new info in this post. I suppose that makes me optimistic about a release...

oldsurferdude likes this.
  25. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Me too, although I'd like to know who's curating the project. I don't want everything just because it exists.