The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Why would anybody other than Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd be curating it? They've done every other archival project for, oh, the last 25 years.

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Steve Desper had a couple of SUNFLOWER acetates posted on his website for a while as part of the album’s behind the scenes.
    Til I Die was on one of those acetates.

alexpop likes this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Jeff took on two jobs with Brian, 'band leader'/guitarist/singer and Brian's caretaker.
    Taking care of Brian on the road would be a full time job on it's own.
    As the years have ticked by, I'm sure Brian's demands have probably increased in terms
    of what he needs for his well-being and functioning to be a performer.
    I'd highly suspect he would have been paid more to take care of him.
    I'm sure Jeff probably took care of him out of admiration and respect for the man.
    He probably didn't even negotiate that into his working contract. Who knows?
    Those behind the scenes dynamics changed pretty quickly however whatever the arrangement.
    Seems Jeff saw a 'green light' to less stress, more money and a change of scenery.

4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Possibly the one that ruined the prospect of future physical projects. :winkgrin:

nedison and Timjosephuk like this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

What do ya mean? You don't think it was a good release? Or in terms of sales?
    I'd find it hard to listen to the original after this release.
    It's much more listenable and enjoyable without all the 'bling blang' overdubs.
    I understand it and why it was done.
    I much prefer the Party 'Uncovered & Unplugged' release.
    Great stuff! You really get a sense of just how young and 'goofy fun' these guys were.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  6. Record Rotator

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think that it was ever going to be a "big seller". There are other Beach Boys albums that are more deserving of deluxe editions such as The Beach Boys Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights). Strategically, it would've made more sense to release those first, especially considering that the sales numbers of physical releases have been steadily decreasing.

7. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I'm surprised that the 65 set wasn't focused on T/SDSN - just the stereo versions of those with outtakes/backing tracks on a 2 CD set would have been great.

Lance LaSalle and oldsurferdude like this.
  8. frumpledobre

frumpledobre Forum Resident

That wasn't a version of Sunflower, it's the so-called 'Landlocked' lineup compiled after Sunflower's release to show the label what sort of material was on the cards for the next album. 'Til I Die, Big Sur, Lookin' at Tomorrow and HELP weren't recorded until after Sunflower was completed.

oldsurferdude, Wata and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Yeah! 100 percent agree.
    Imagine that, deluxe releases of 'Today' and 'Summer Days' and Summer Nights'.
    What a missed opportunity.
    :cry:
    We 'Beach Boys' get the short straw compared to other bands.
    There's some other potential bands like The Stones, Floyd, Beatles that get the love.
    Geezus! I just wanna punch somebody!
    :wantsome:

oldsurferdude and Record Rotator like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

I'm such an angry fan! I should settle on someone like Nana Mouskouri, James Last or Barry Manilow.
    Would reduce my grey hairs at least.....
    :rolleyes:
    It's tough being a 'Beach Boys' fan.

11. Record Rotator

I hear ya! It's frustrating alright. In fact, it's frustrating, if one loves any artist that isn't in this exclusive club: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, and Yes. Ugh!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Rick Bartlett likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Yes...definitely no "liquid crap" as you so eloquently put it.
    I know what ya mean. I know this guy who must have 500,000 songs and albums on files and sticks and whatnot...and not a damn thing to look at. No album covers , no liner notes , no information , no nothing. Takes some of the fun out of it.

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

A picture that says a thousand words.

The Beave, Ken K, Calico and 2 others like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Stan and Rocky? I’ll help ya ;)

oldsurferdude and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't care, as long as I get the music. I personally have a preference to own the physical CDs, but if someone else prefers to be all digital, I'm not going to get worked up in a lather trying to convert them.

It's the music itself that matters, something that many people here seem to forget.

alexpop and Lost In The Flood like this.
  16. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

The physical releases that we get are greenlighted by the bandmembers, not Alan and Mark.

I think that's why we almost got a physical release of Keep an Eye on Summer, and then didn't. And why we had a Party release but not Summer Days. And why we had no physical release for the Friends material. :shrug:

17. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

I don't think anyone here has a problem with the way others choose to listen to their music. It's about exposure. These digital only releases may satisfy you completely by bringing you the music, but it won't enlighten anyone beyond the hardcore fans because it won't be seen on your local shelf at Barnes and Noble (or the Australian equivalent), nor reviewed beyond one or two publications, and it could vanish completely at any moment, the way the Big Beat '63 set did. It's ephemeral, and this music deserves better.

Wordnat2, Mr Sam, Pawnmower and 2 others like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Some of the fun?
    Every time Capitol releases a non physical format, I give them an honest salute!
    [​IMG]

19. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Endless Summer magazine's facebook page just posted "Coming soon!" along with the picture from the Sunflower album cover. Is this the time of year to roll out an archival set?

theMess and jammincrowe like this.
  20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Thank god.

jammincrowe likes this.
  21. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Any time of year works for me. Looking forward to it.

22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

23. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I’M VERY EXCITED!

I hope to hear outtakes of All I Wanna Do especially.

theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Back of the net !!!!

Haha, what great news !

25. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

This is where it starts getting really good.

oldsurferdude, theMess and Fortuleo like this.