The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP... Part deux

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

2. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

So, as I was saying... err... yes, it'll be nice to finally have it..

3. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Re the "Our Prayer" at beginning or end, on BWPS didn't it open the proceedings and then reprise (in part) at the end before "Good Vibrations", so the quote from Vosse stating that it would have been used to close the album doesn't preclude it still being the opener....all the evidence points to this.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Sort of officially, yes. Very nice. Hey dog, get out of that sandbox!

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

And I'm standing by that edited version of Prayer which could have been used in such a capacity. use it as an intro then a short riff at the end to say goodbye.

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Part 2 already? Do we need to go over why Smile as cancelled in 1967, again? ;)

7. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

So maybe just the excised moment at the end -- the final "ahhhhhhh" before the "hmmmmm?"

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd include a second "hmmmmmm" if it were up to me!

9. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I'm half sobbing and half guffawing, but you are nonetheless a poet. HEY, are you "Bellagio Insider," brilliant prankster??? And I'm terribly curious as to who Zodiac is but I'm sure I knew youse back in the day.

It was the Smile Shop that landed me over here at the Hoffman site in the first place.

10. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Likewise....:)

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I spent many months obsessively checking the Smile Shop boards when I was at the heights of my Smile-mania....

12. Jose Jones

I want to see interviews with Marilyn, Diane, Drurie, Carol K., and all the other SMiLE women behind the scenes in the deluxe edition book. It's been an all-boys club for too long...

I would also love it if they included a poster-size copy of the infamous Airport Photo with Brian and friends/associates. And that David Anderle portrait of Brian too.

13. Jon Busey-Hunt

...likewise, obviously!!

14. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Any word on whether Durie Parks' acetates are in the brew?

15. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Nope not 'Bellagio Insider' (who, like all imposters, took it too far and made a slip), I'm AGD.

16. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Currently, I don't think so.

17. Jon Busey-Hunt

Does anybody remember what "Bellagio Insider" was claiming, originally? They sure had a good line, fooled quite a few of us for at least a short amount of time!

18. Jon Busey-Hunt

Nope. But both Al and Bruce have mentioned acetates, though, recently, out of the blue, so you gotta figure those have been gone through at least.

19. Jose Jones

Maybe Carl Wilson's sons/ex have/had some as well? Never hear much at all about his Estate and what it contained.

20. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Not the biggest BB fan but this is a must buy.

21. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Slightly OT, but firmly within the remit of general Smile silliness... someone on A.N. Other MB was going on about the significance of the project being announced by Brian on the 11th (in Billboard and Rolling Stone) - 11 being a significant number, seemingly - until it was pointed out that:

1 - they were 'official' leaks...

2 - ... that weren't by Brian...

3 - ... and the official Capitol press release was yesterday (14th) anyway. :D

22. Royce

Royce Senior Member

(The Zodiac said: But what about that edit of Prayer that has 10 seconds removed? Couldn't it make a "reappearance" at the end of the album and tie it all together? Just spit-balling....)

I was WONDERING when someone would bring this up! :)

23. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Many, many years ago, a leading astronomer of the day received the following telegram from a WR Hearst newspaper:

Require 1000 words subject "life on Mars" soonest

... and in those days, you didn't argue with Hearst, so within the hour, the editor got his article. It comprised the following words, repeated five hundred times:

Nobody knows.

24. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

" When the project sputtered to a halt due to group politics, business politics, drug use, eroding confidence and what-have-you the group continued to develop new material... " (from post # 472, part 1)

speaking of eroding confidence ... Messrs. Lennon & McCartney sure put a couple of magnum slugs into the wounded smiley beast, didn't they, with Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields?

25. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world are you and Steve E talking about?

If it's something obvious I should have already known, please slap me down gently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.