The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I rate Sunflower at the top of the group's albums, but the reality is that it did not sell well, despite the group's optimism after finally breaking away from Capitol. Given this reality, a physical release probably isn't in the cards. I will happily download whatever digital treasures come our way, make a CD-R, and enjoy them. Face it. Notwithstanding the actual merits, this just doesn't have the sales potential of Abbey Road.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If Cat Stevens can release a super deluxe "Back to Earth" we sure as hell can release "Sunflower".

saborlord123, Ludger, Aurora and 12 others like this.
  3. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with many Beach Boys b00ts. What kinds of bonuses could be included in this release? What do we have to look forward to?

Brian Mc and Peace N. Love like this.
  4. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

To cheer you up, here's a picture of a happy Brian!
    [​IMG]

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Critical opinion has elevated it above most of their post-Pet Sounds catalog over time, though. I don't think initial sales really matter...it's looked upon very well by anyone still interested in Brian 50 years later.

Having said that, it's a lot easier to just sit back and enjoy the music instead of complaining on what format it is or isn't on. We wouldn't be getting these things at all if it was 20 years ago and digital distribution wasn't an option.

6. Daniel Plainview

The obvious stuff, just off the top of my head -

Add Some Music (alternate lyrics)
    This Whole World (extended version)
    Over The Waves
    Just Got My Pay
    H.E.L.P. Is On the Way
    Good Time (original mix)
    Big Sur (early version)
    Back Home (Jardine version)
    Loop De Loop (original vocal????)
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    Tears in the Morning (alternate version)
    When Girls Get Together (original mix)
    Lady (Fallin In Love)
    Susie Cincinatti (original mix)
    Seasons in the Sun
    Soulful Old Man Sunshine
    Walkin' (Morning Beat)
    San Miguel
    What Can The Matter Be?
    California Slide (Going Your Way)
    Where Is She?
    Games Two Can Play
    Would'nt It Be Nice To Live Again demo
    Til I Die demo
    Take A Load off Your Feet (original mix)

Plus, like previous sets, a whole bunch of stuff we didn't even know existed. Plenty of stuff. Could easily make a 4 or 5 disc set of sessions and unreleased tracks.

7. gottafeelin

Sweet! I didn't know "Morning Beat" was a Beach Boys song from 1970! That would be great to hear!

Natural E likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Actually, I remembered that this already came out on the 20/20 set.

9. Daniel Plainview

How about the Fred Vail country album too?

Still praying for more Jasper Dailey tracks. PLEASE.

FJFP likes this.
  10. gottafeelin

Oh yeah, I downloaded that and enjoy it. I just didn't make the connection to Morning Beat. It's such a common boogie woogie progression that I suppose it sounds like countless songs. And, in fact, the melody is mostly very different. The bridges sound the most similar.

11. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Sunflower is a great album. Like Surf’s Up, Carl and the Passions and the masterpiece of them all (in my opinion), Holland.

WE WANT EXPANDED PHYSICAL BOX SETS FOR THESE ALBUMS! No liquid crap or download or stuff like that!

12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Linett said they don't have other tracks besides one that was included in Smile box.

13. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Yeah, such a rich period for them. What are the most tantalizing rumoured tracks that haven't yet leaked out?

14. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Also, was "Sound of Free" recorded in '69? Apart from "Lady" (which was a potential BB track), were their any other Rumbo sessions from ';69?

15. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Sunflower is one of my very fav Beach Boys albums - with each of the band featuring as opposed to Brian doing all the creative work !

the UK version on EMI's Stateside label included the single of 'Cottonfields' sung by Alan tacked onto the beginning which fitted fine

I really feel it's one of the most 'together' sounding Beach Boys albums with everyone on top form

16. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

1. Dennis steps up and contributes mightily.
    2. It’s my favorite Beach Boys album cover.
    3. At the time it was maybe 1970’s best kept secret.

Saw them at Painters Mill Music Fair, 300 tops in attendance, and one of the best shows, at a great venue.

I want a physical product, and size counts!

Link is to the set list, my main memory is a great R&B version of Help Me Rhonda.

That, and a weed filled Men’s Room
    Beach Boys Concert--April 30, 1971

17. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

[​IMG]

Kevin Gray's remastering for the 200 gram Analog Productions vinyl pressing had me having "Tears In The Morning" with such delight.
    Highly recommended!

18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Interesting fact: Til I Die was on an early acetate for SUNFLOWER, which puts it in the 69/70 time frame. I had always thought that it was chronological with the SURF’S UP sessions. It definitely fits better on SU.

My favorite BB period and lots of creativity from everyone.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

It's sad to see so many other bands who don't have the profile of the Beach Boys getting deluxe editions of albums physically and it still not happening with the boys. These albums would sell well over time as new people keep discovering them - that's why people are still listening to them after 50+ years.
    I know there was one for Party - but that's hardly a good representation of their catalogue. The 67 release was great, a 68 physical one would have been really fantastic.

20. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I want Sunflower 'Stack-O-Tracks' and 'Stack-O-Vocals' included too... and a thick heavily illustrated 12" x 12" book with copious technical notes by Stephen Desper, loads of Ricci Martin/Ed Thrasher sleeve photo outtakes, a Good Humor cap and a pair of goggles, and a four page essay by Mike just rambling about anything to do with 'All I Wanna Do'... it's perfect!

hominy, DRM, erikdavid5000 and 4 others like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It probably would have helped sales having 'Cottonfields' on all of the versions no doubt.
    Personally I love their single version of Cottonfields, but glad it's not on the album I know.
    I like that it's a perfect collection of music without the obvious hit tacked on.
    Also love the opening of the album, 'Slip On Through', really sets the stage of the record.
    'Sunflower' is my most favorite and most played album of their catalogue.
    The 'Sunflower/Surfs Up' Cd in number 2 position.

22. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

All I Wanna Do is my favourite Mike vocal. Not that there’s much competition...

DRM likes this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Come to think of it, in light of upcoming multidisc boxes of the Kinks' Arthur and Spirit's Potatoland, the crickets murmering for Sunflower's 50th are head scratching. I know this is not a zero sum game but this is crazy, particularly with what we know is in the vault and the beauty of Thrasher and Martin's photographs. Something measured, not another box with a yearbook and Surfer Girl and Shut Down yet again would be most welcome in my house.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  24. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I respect your opinion and you certainly have a right to it. You're not the first person I've read a statement like this from. I have to say I can't understand it. The Beach Boys on Capitol IMO had the greatest run of records in the history of recorded music and Brian was at the height of his powers for most of that. I don't see how Sunflower and Surf's Up can compare when the other Beach Boys contributed so much to them and they're all vastly inferior writers to Brian. I'm not saying I don't like the records. Sunflower is mostly good (although to me, the next good Bruce Johnston song will be the first), but Surf's Up is very spotty with Long Promised Road being the best song on it.

The Beach Boys are my favorite band of all time but I almost exclusively listen to their 60s stuff. I know a lot of people enjoy their 70s output and I hope someday I'm able to realize why so I can too!

25. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Besides being a hit 'Cottonfields' did fit in o.k. for me and it gave Alan Jardine a 'featured' track all to himself as lead vocalist which he doesn't really have elsewhere on 'Sunflower' as such so the album to me really benefited from that with Alan, Mike, Dennis, Carl, Bruce plus Brian's voice all being well featured over the album - Dennis, Bruce and Carl featuring notably

'Sunflower' is a very relaxed bright and even album that flows superbly with all six Beach Boys on strong form

while 'Pet Sounds' is Brian's Beach Boys masterpiece I think 'Sunflower' is The Beach Boys Beach Boys masterpiece - if that makes sense !

I certainly don't agree with the view that the others were vastly inferior songwriters to Brian - NO WAY !!