The Beach Boys - Feel Flows (archival 1969-71 set)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohjason, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, and maybe I’m misremembering.

I remember, pretty sure it was on Sunflower, where they gave info regarding the recording equipment, and that it was recorded in Quad.

They also gave a wiring plan on playback on a stereo with 4 speakers, and, again if memory serves, it was simply wiring the second set out of phase.

I don’t have my original vinyl, and the UK import I’ve had forever, doesn’t replicate that.

Not the end of the world, just something I’ve wanted to clear up in my head.

Thanks!

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

As I recall, it involved three speakers: the left and right conventionally wired, and the rear with the left and right hot (red, or”+”) leads. Sounded great in the 70s!
    Hope this helps!

bigal00769 and Paul J like this.
  3. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

The back jacket of Sunflower provides straightforward technical notes from chief engineer & mixer Stephen W. Desper. The Surf's Up inner insert provides somewhat humorous, tounge-in-cheek technical notes from Desper. The quad wiring diagram appeared as an insert in The Flame LP (also engineered by Desper).

Hep Alien, alexpop, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  4. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Ha! I was just reading the back jacket of Sunflower last night while playing some choice cuts from the album. Which, by the way, I'm more convinced with each listen that "All I Wanna Do" is one of the most sublime recordings and songs ever made by our species.

supermd, Revolver, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The best part about the back jacket notes is that they were included word for word on the UK version...

...along with a duophonic version of Cottonfields :laugh:

Smiler, Calico and Craig Slowinski like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Some love the fact that 'Cottonfields' was tacked onto the front of the album.
    I'm glad it wasn't a part of my US album version experience of it, it may have ruined the whole vibe for me.
    Sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
    I still don't like it, but from a commercial point of view, it makes sense.
    Can't imagine the album starting without 'Slip On Through'.
    Guess it's what your used to.....

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stephen W. Desper is member and posted a few times.

A big thank you Stephen for Sunflower.

8. alexpop

UK had thirteen tracks. Extra song was welcome 50 years ago as it was a hit record included ( saved you buying the single).

UK : Best Of The Beach Boys Hits album was a good un.

9. alexpop

Always thought it deserved a better album cover. Least The Carpenters liked it.

10. alexpop

Think Sunflower is getting the kudos fifty years after the fact. BB were uncool in 1970. The music gets the last laugh. :)

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I reckon it would be cool.
    The quad mix decided properly would be nice.
    The hidden quad they released was pretty decent, although incorrectly decoded, but a correct, fully official version would be nice

12. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

“In truth, every beautifully designed, finely wrought, inspirationally welded piece of music made these last months by Brian…has been SCRAPPED. Not destroyed, but scrapped.”

Smiler likes this.
  13. alexpop

14. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Back in 1970/71 I had a complete quad set up that decoded all of the different quad formats (SQ, EV,
    CD-4, etc). Both Sunflower and Surf's Up had "some" tracks in quad, but not the entire albums.
    And they sounded sensational.
    However, years later, I found that Dolby Pro Logic did a really good job of providing a great surround
    sound on both LP's. Not the way that Desper had encoded them, but it was still a great quad soundstage.
    I remember how amazing "Cool Cool Water" filled the room with stunning surround sound.
    It might be time for Stephen Desper to weigh in.....

Hep Alien, Exotiki, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Which album, Summer Days and Summer Nights or Sunflower? Summer Days is one of their best! Sunflower is okay, I wish they just used the big sunflower image as the cover, personally.

[​IMG]

16. alexpop

I’m quoting saborlord123 post with the heading Summer Days( and Summer nights) and session box. Photo of Brian.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Pants Party likes this.
  17. alexpop

Like the album cover myself.

Pants Party and Craig Slowinski like this.
  18. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Thanks!!

Where was the info for the wiring? Was it on Sunflower or am I mixing things up?

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Not certain, but I think it was Sunflower.

Paul J likes this.
  20. alexpop

Sunflower:
    Did the U,S. Version spawn any hit songs ?
    The European version did.:cool:

21. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Not to my knowledge and that's not because it didn't get ample airplay. The FM jocks jumped on it and I remember hearing it quite often.

Rick Bartlett and alexpop like this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Their friend and former Beach Boys colleague, Fred Vail, tried real hard to get 'Add Some Music' played on radio.
    He knew a lot of people in radio and tried to get them back on the air waves.
    Unfortunately, he was turned away by everybody because The Beach Boys 'weren't cool' anymore.
    He was devastated, and even more devastated that he had to front back to the 'guys', that nobody was interested in them anymore.
    There's some great interviews with Fred about all of this, which is truly heartbreaking to hear, considering,
    the group were making some of the best music of their career.

23. alexpop

Tears In The Morning a hit in Holland and Belgium .. Cotton Fields top 5 in the UK.

24. alexpop

In 1970 I seen Woodstock movie in the cinema also 200 Motels, Easy Rider ...

To hell with cool. It’s good .. I like it..

Bought S u n f l o w e r.

Add some Beach Boys music to your day.

oldsurferdude and Rick Bartlett like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I thought that they only got airplay in certain markets, mainly the Midwest and of course LA.

But not enough to make a major hit; "Add some Music" ended up hitting 64; "Tears in the Morning" was a number one hit in the Netherlands.

Cottonfields was big in various European markets but was not even on the American version of the album.