'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I am going to come out of the closet as another Beach Boys fan who likes "Kokomo." (Actually I disliked it until seeing them do it live - Carl's voice hypnotized me into liking it).

But again, the strings? Presumably it's on there because it was a huge latter-day hit and will possibly lure in a different demographic?

cwitt1980 and Shaddam IV like this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I have never understood the "Kokomo" hate. It's a great track.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

:sigh:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The song itself is fine. I think it gets associated withthe cheesier stuff from that era like Stamos and dancing bikini girls on stage and Stamos, not to mention Stamos. But its a fine song. Carl has a great part. Spanish version even has Brian on the chorus, so what's not to like?

I did have my best man reprimand the DJ at my wedding when I requested The Beach Boys and he played "Kokomo", though.

goodiesguy, willy, javilu77 and 5 others like this.
  5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I think there's a lot of residual bad feeling about Brian being left off. Which, if that's the case... Not sure what it has to do with whether it's good or not.

jwb1231970 and agundy like this.
  6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I like the new version of 'Fun, Fun, Fun." It doesn't replace the original, but I am finding new enjoyment in this version. I am curioua what they did with "Good Vibrations." The trailer on You Tube has a snippet of GV and it sounds like they used an alternate(?) single-tracked lead vocal.

7. Daniel Plainview

I'm not entirely sure it was The Beach Boys' choice to leave Brian off the track. It's more likely that Dr. Landy wouldn't lend Brian out that day. He would have probably demanded an Executive Producer credit just for allowing Brian to participate. He certainly was a scoundrel.

But by being left off the track Brian gets to distance himself from the negative fallout or bemoan the fact he was supposedly snubbed, whichever stance is convenient at that particular moment in time. It's not like Brian appeared on the majority of Beach Boys studio recordings during the 80's anyway. It's just that this one happened to be a hit. Nobody cares that he doesn't sing on "Somewhere Near Japan". I think it just bruised Brian's ego (and rest assured he still has one) that The Beach Boys could score a hit and not have Brian's name somewhere on the label.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    goodiesguy, pudgym, supermd and 3 others like this.
  8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Has this footage (in this quality) been around for awhile? I don't recall seeing the whole promo ever before.

9. Daniel Plainview

It has, though I can't remember if/when it was released on DVD. I recall Alan Boyd rounded up some bonus clips for AMC when they aired "Endless Harmony" and this was among them, but I could be mistaken, it was 20 years ago.

10. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

I can not think of a worse BW show than playing the BB's Christmas album plus songs from his solo Christmas album live. From SMiLE and Pet Sounds live to this!

gd0 and Daniel Plainview like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Could only be worse if he included tracks from his "Key of Disney" album!

Ludger likes this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Right.

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

If I want symphonic BB, I'll stick with*this*, thank you very much!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pudgym, ajsmith, willy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Beach Boys want to reunite with Brian Wilson at Glastonbury.

www.collegian.psu.edu/lifestyles/music/article_309a73b9-462d-5697-b796-82c102e95162.html

"The 'I Get Around' hitmakers' co-founder Mike Love, Brian's cousin, last performed with his relative and bandmates - Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston - in 2012 for a 50th anniversary album and tour, while Brian has since returned to his solo tours.

However, Mike has revealed he'd love for the surviving members of the group to play the world famous festival's Sunday afternoon legends slot at Worthy Farm in Somerset, South West England, which has seen the likes of Lionel Richie, Bee Gees' Barry Gibb, Jeff Lynne, Dolly Parton and Dame Shirley Bassey perform over the years.

The 77-year-old musician insists that there is no bad blood between him and Brian, and that he's been communicating with him following his emergency back surgery which forced the 'Good Vibrations' hitmakers to postpone his US tour this month.

Mike told The Sun newspaper: "Yeah, it would be good if we could find the right way in which to do it. We are in contact.

"He had a back operation the other day so I sent him a message. There's a lot of love there.

"There's been nothing discussed recently but I'm not against anything. Anything could happen. I would absolutely love to go to Glastonbury."

goodiesguy, supermd, Ludger and 2 others like this.
  15. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Was it a personal message that he sent, or just a tweet?

16. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I hope Brian comes back with a "Beach Boys Love You, featuring The London Symphony Orchestra" album.

Lonesurf and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

It's a novelty, I thiNk it's great but wish mike was part of it

18. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I’m thrilled with this announcement. I look forward to hi res download and critical listening, for example, to the cellos used in “Good Vibrstions.”

On YouTube the “Whiter Shade of Pale” w choral & orchestration is beautiful. I love what Jeff Lynn has done, the Roy Orbidon release, Sprongsteen’s 2016 “New York City Serenade”, Dylan’s 1994 Tokyo set, and in general, backing strings. (I enjoy both versions of Long and Winding Road)

This is very exciting.

From the samples it does not appear to be over done, but is complimentary.

June 8th
    Then we have Beatles White Album 50th release,
    Jeff Lynn’s fall 2018 shows...

It’s a good year for old guys like himself.

19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The sample reminds me of something you might hear on an old style variety TV show

NYMets41 likes this.
  20. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Ha!

That sounds like a description of elevator music.

I would have preferred the ballads only, if given the choice. “In My Room” and “Warmth of the Sun” could sound hauntingly beautiful.

I don’t know how much it will work with fun upbeat material..”Fun, Fun, Fun” doesn’t have that need for sober emotion that orchestration can yield.

I’m excited but I’ve not lost my mind.

I think.

PS. The 2nd sample video is interesting

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    BeatleJWOL and RickH like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Vinyl pre-order is up on Amazon.

May God have mercy on my soul.

SteveCooks and LeeGriffin like this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Next they will get a load of country artists to reimagine all the classic Beach Boys songs, oh wait!

supermd, dustybooks and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

and Brian's people signed off on this!..... I bet he personally hasn't heard none of this.

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

maybe Vol.2 may be like errrr ummmm Shut Down Vol.2.... :rolleyes:

25. Daniel Plainview

Surely he has! He was quoted:

Surely that's a direct quote from Brian! Surely....

"Musta beena bouta Van Dyke Parks.....hey mah rah...."

Rick Bartlett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.