The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

It's true for the songs that are on the release this thread is dedicated to. Again, hence my question.

"Love Me Do" and "She Loves You" only exist as a mono master. "From Me To You" only exists as a mono master with all tracks intact.

Grant likes this.
  2. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Teaching, primarily. Secondary or University level.

The course was an intense study of Popular Music theory, Semiotics, Musicology, Ethnography, and much more.
    Not - "What did the Beatles do on 5th November 1964." Just ask @theMess He's fully aware of what the course rigour was.

For a detailed look:
    http://www.hope.ac.uk/media/liverpo...ments/postgraduateresearch/media,22214,en.pdf

theMess likes this.
  3. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I compared the version of "Get Back" verses the same version on the Blu Ray and much prefer the mix on the DVD. The lead guitar in the right channel is much more prominent on the DVD -- the DVD also has a bit of a more live feel to it. During the breakdown near the end of the song you can hear a bit of 'street noise' that is missing from the CD mix.

When I A/B'd the audio of the two, the first thing that hit me like a brick was "why is the lead guitar mixed so low on the CD version?".

4. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Teaching, primarily. Secondary or University level.

The course was an intense study of Popular Music theory, Semiotics, Musicology, Ethnography, and much more.
    Not - "What did the Beatles do on 5th November 1964." Just ask @theMess He's fully aware of what the rigour of the course was.

For a detailed look:
    http://www.hope.ac.uk/media/liverpo...ments/postgraduateresearch/media,22214,en.pdf

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You're right. I got carried away thinking about the mono mixes. This thread has been going in many directions.

6. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Don't worry. This thread has been "All Things Beatles" for a while now.

Grant likes this.
  7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

That is wrong Lennon did not just write songs about himself 'Dear Prudence', 'Mean Mr Mustard', 'Polythene Pam' and 'Sexy Sadie' come to mind and McCartney wrote plenty of songs about himself too 'Let It Be', 'Yesterday', 'I Will' and 'Two Of Us' as examples !!

Grant, zobalob and Lost In The Flood like this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

After listening again, it does sound like John sings higher on the line "She only Played one night stands" and "She only played one Night Stands now". I have a question about that line though, if you listen to the Youtube video, it sounds like Paul sings alone at 1:53 (She only played) and John only comes in at "One Night Stands". Is that Paul alone or is it John at 1:53? It sounds like Paul alone to me and he is double tracked.
    I will admit that the final verse John sings higher most of the time and that makes sense because Paul drops down on his solo lines before the harmony second and fourth lines.

I usually don't get into this much detail but I find it interesting that I am hearing something different than others. I searched for other forums where this was possibly discussed and sure enough, I am not alone in what I hear. There are posts in other forums that claim they hear John not singing the higher parts. I was hoping someone would isolate Paul's vocals. I don't know how to do it.

Onder and nikh33 like this.
  9. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Obviously. :rolleyes: I was talking about their general tendencies as songwriters. Next time I'll remember to footnote my post.

The point is: John didn't write much of the lyrics on Eleanor Rigby, according to Paul and Pete Shotten and contrary to John's comment, and the track has always seemed more like a "Paul song" than a "John song."

theMess likes this.
  10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

11. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

There are 5 Beatles songs that only exist in mono-
    Love Me Do, PS I Love You, She Loves You, I'll Get You -- the stereo masters are missing

You Know My Name - is meant to be in mono as a tribute to the Spike Milligan 78s it pays homage to

pablo fanques and goodiesguy like this.
  12. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I personally really love the warehouse tracks (Not such a bad boy and No Values), and also Paul's version of Elanor Rigby...looking and almost sounding like Beatle Paul. I have to be in the mood, but I have definitely watched it at least 10 times.

omar ravenhurst and AppleCorp3 like this.
  13. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Thanks to @slane there is just such a list here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-vinyl-releases.463377/page-384#post-13295972

Of course, all of the 5.1 mixes will be different.

I have been wondering about the value of folding some of the 5.1 mixes to stereo for stereo listening. Has anyone done much direct comparison of the stereo to stereo folds from the surround? I have noticed, at least, that the 5.1 mono tracks don't sound very mono when played with foobar and automatically folding to stereo.

The stereo and 5.1 of "A Day in the Life" have obvious mixing differences. Are there others such as this?

Mister Charlie and raphph like this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, I am completely aware that it was a rigorous and proper degree course, after reading your excellent dissertation. It looked like a very in depth, tough and interesting course.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Are you joking or being serious? Surely you know that the original line was 'Father McCartney', and that the line was only changed later to avoid confusion.

In any case, I don't like how you questioned my accuracy simply because you were not aware of a certain bit of information.

DavidFell, Grant, goodiesguy and 7 others like this.
  16. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Again, I was talking about the songs on 1. Anyway, it's actually the multi tracks that are missing, not the stereo masters (excluding "You Know My Name"). Stereo masters for those songs never existed.

17. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Or, for kids - there is enough still discovering the Beatles. Top 10 album from a band that broke up 45 years ago is not too shabby given the fact that so many people already own it. What other all-time high ranking album when reissued went top 10? This is like if Thriller went top 10 when re-issued 15 years after its original appearance.

theMess likes this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It is worth pointing out that Paul himself confirmed that other people were in the room when he brought Eleanor Rigby to the group, and George also said in various interviews that he contributed a line, as did Ringo, so there is a lot of evidence that it was a group session with different people contributing lines. This is a corroborated story, not just relying on Shotten alone.

Shotten may not have been with John and Paul at all times, but he was there when Paul brought in an early version of the song. Paul has had ample opportunity to clear things up, and yet he has never disagreed with Shotten's statement about the song.

19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Quite. Shotton speaks of one writing session (a finalizing session it seems) but we know Eleanor Rigby had a fairly long gestation with Paul taping a version with a nonsense lyric and presumably at least one further writing session which Pete Shotton would not have been at and almost certainly George and Ringo weren't at, which very likely could have been just between Paul and his song-writing partner John, where 70% of the lyric could have been decided upon. So who knows.

20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Paul also mentions 'Eleanor Rigby' in certain interviews as an example of his lyrical skill, and he often marvels that he was able to write a song like that as a young man in his mid-20's. Why would he be proud of it, if John wrote 70% of it?

John's throwaway comment was probably just a lie designed to annoy Paul; after all, John admitted that much of what he said in 70's interviews was made-up, because he was the sort of person that enjoyed winding interviewers up.
    The fact that Paul, Pete, George and Ringo all have a similar version of events, when mixed with the fact that John was an admitted liar, makes me doubt John's comment regarding this song.

fatoldsun, JimC and Fivebyfive like this.
  21. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

The difference of course is that Pete Shotten was there when Paul brought in the song and when Ringo and George made their suggestions. He's a direct witness in that case and he described what he heard -- which supported Paul's contention about Eleanor Rigby and contradicts John's version.

Pete Shotten was not in the room with Brian and John in Spain. Shotten is only repeating, I imagine, what he was told by John. Or, more accurately, Shotten is repeating what he remembers John saying.

The point remains: Eleanor Rigby is mostly a Paul song. We may never be able to say with 100% assurance how much or what John contributed to it. But it is curious that Paul, George, and Ringo all remember their specific contributions and no one remembers any specific line or word that John contributed.

Mkirk, fatoldsun and theMess like this.
  22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Some of it was written before the party & some after. Was still having the finishing touches while in the studio.

zobalob, nikh33 and theMess like this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Is it true that you can get rid of the sound effects on the BBC 'Words Of Love' using the 5.1 files? I haven't tried it (I just used the original 'On Air' version for my playlist instead, but I kept the intro from the DVD).

24. helter

helter Forum Resident

Also according to the Hit Parader article very early on 1971/1972 Paul had a chance to correct John's credits and only disagreed with In My Life.
    But it's seems as time marches on...... Paul seems to be claiming more and more credit for songs written by both

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Maybe a little inspiration. The chords you show for Only You are not spot on. The big differences are the second chord III in OY that is not in IML. Also, I don't think there is a minor drop in Only You...there is a rise to Major. Very little inspiration if none at all. However, WITNOTW is a different story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.