The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Couldn't they take the background studio vocals from the slow Resolution 1 and use pro tools to make them fit the single version ?

JimC likes this.
  2. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

From the "Free As A Bird" video:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One of these is from the NTSC Anthology DVD and the other from the new Blu-ray. If this is an indication of the improvement we could expect from an Anthology Blu-ray, I really don't think they should bother.

Frank likes this.
  3. Even made it into a film title:
    [​IMG]

nikh33, theMess and Mal like this.
  4. misko

misko Forum Resident

I think many of us purchased the Blu Ray for the sound quality and the picture was secondary.

Larry Geller likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Not I. I got it for both, but mostly for video.

theMess, JimC, dewey02 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Easily. Imagine the outcry though. The forum postings would have caused a meltdown of the entire internet.

7. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I've never even thought of that, but is the sound on BR better than standard CDs?

8. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I've over 200 Beatles CDs, but based on the comments on this thread I decided not to bother with this. However, I saw it in the local supermarket and (call me shallow!) fell for the yellow cover - it's lovely. Plus, the digipack is a "good" one, with plastic inserts and not just like a miniature LP sleeve, which I really don't like. So, I now have the CD+DVD.

I've watched the DVD and listened to the CD both up to Eleanor Rigby. Apart from the EDAW drums, I noticed few material differences compared to what I'm used to hearing, so I'm clearly not a true audiophile. However, Day Tripper and Paperback Writer do sound good to my ears. :agree:

Is anyone else as smitten with the yellow cover?

JimC and jricc like this.
  9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Listening to the take on Anthology, you hear Paul directing the recording (of Mr. Kite) in a constructive way. He appears to have a stronger idea than John as to wear the song is going with a circus-y feel. Paul's bass playing adds to the desired atmosphere. He's in the role of musical director. Don't know if that helps.

carolk, theMess, JimC and 2 others like this.
  10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I really like a lot of that stuff myself but Press To Play, Memory Almost Full, Driving Rain, Broadstreet, New .... Macca couldn't have thought that John would approve most of those songs, do ya think?

11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I have just done my own remix of Free As A Bird using the original single version :)

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes I do think that he would mainly approve; John liked Paul as a songwriter. After all, he knew that Paul was a major talent and that is why he asked him to join the Quarry Men in the first place.

Why wouldn't John like a series of albums that are more critically acclaimed than Paul's 70's albums? Paul has had mainly very good press since Flaming Pie in 1997.

905 likes this.
  13. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

All they had to do was stick "Love Outtake" at the end of it and no one would blink an eye.

lennon_08518, JimC and Maidenpriest like this.
  14. jricc

jricc Senior Member

From Beatlefan:

Beatles "1" Soundscan numbers for the week ending 11/12/2015:

Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart
    Re-entry at #6
    39,849 total sales

Top DVD Music Videos Chart
    Debut at #3

Top Internet Chart
    Debut at #1

theMess likes this.
  15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I do like the yellow cover more than the traditional red one.

As for the musical content, I like the fact that they finally fixed the big , gaping "hole" in the sound-field of "All You Need Is Love," right where the song transitions from the "La Marseillaise" intro to the vocals.

But I really miss the bongos on "A Hard Day's Night." They've been mixed out of the song almost completely, and I really feel they help propel the song forward.

JimC and Maidenpriest like this.
  16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

That is the first thing I noticed as well, I wonder why ? :(

17. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

It's also worth noting that Paul's corrections were submitted to Hit Parade and they told him it wouldn't be appropriate to have a whole list and said what was the main one. So he went with correcting In My life. No I don't remember exactly where I read that now tbh, I only remember that I did see that.

I have always taken it as 100% confirmation that Paul did write the music and John knew it, that that correction was made and was not contested by John. This at a time when if Paul said something in an interview wholly unconnected to John, that John disagreed with, John would fire off a letter insisting on a right of reply to the relevant magazine. This correction was in a John Lennon interview and he said nothing. Then later when he talked about In My Life he said Paul wrote the middle eight, only there is no real middle eight as such. John knew Paul wrote the music, Paul knew it too. I've never known why this is a controversy. That correction would never have been allowed unchallenged if John really thought it was a lie.

Oh and btw, I'm too lazy to post it all, but if you compare what John said about who wrote what in Playboy in 1980 to what he said in Hit Parade - he changed what he said about a lot of songs. So I've never thought the Hit Parade interview was worth much as in 1972 John was in a certain 'space' and I think his comments in 1980 were closer to the truth fwiw.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    theMess and JimC like this.
  18. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Just trying to remember...do any other Beatle songs have ukulele on them?

19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I am not saying this particularly to you, but what does this have to do with the new release?

I mean I am a big Beatlemaniac, but what????!?

Again, not directed at you........

20. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Wait ... My standalone CD is red, packaging etc. :confused: there's a yellow version? I bought it at Best Buy while Amazon fiddled with my preorder of the Blu-ray set. 2015 on packaging.

21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The Yellow package has both a DVD and the CD. I think the red is just the standalone CD.

JimC likes this.
  22. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Everything John said in interviews is the 100% truth, even when he contradicts himself. His comments always supersede McCartney's.

theMess likes this.
  23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

We were on a tangent discussing John and Paul's songwriting relationship, and I sent this to Nik as further evidence that John and Paul wrote together until 1968, and that they didn't stop in the 'early fame years' as many people seem to believe.

As for your comment not being directed at me, of course you were directing it at me; after all you asked me the question.

What has being a Beatlemaniac got to do with anything? This is a Beatles thread with many different Beatles tangents and I am discussing the Beatles. So what?

Skywheel and AppleCorp3 like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't know that he was only allowed one correction. That certainly makes sense regarding 'Eleanor Rigby' especially.

Mkirk likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This whole conversation was fascinating. I never realized that's what happened in "Day Tripper." Thank you.

Could you please explain the swapping in "From Me To You"? I have never listened that closely before, but these things fascinate me and bring an added dimension to these songs.

nikh33, 905 and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.