The Beatles "1" Compilation. Why So Successful when Past Masters Wasn't?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Mar 9, 2023.

1. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

EVERYTHING on the remix hits me in the head! I don't know if I've even made it through the whole CD.

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

And could you we please can the "'Please Please Me' and 'Strawberry Fields' should be here" talk?

Easy-E, Sean, DmitriKaramazov and 2 others like this.
  3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not likely. That goes for the foreign language songs too! :laugh:

4. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

This is exactly what I did, there was a bit of space at the end, so I also added Free as a bird & Real love, surprisingly it works rather well!

5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I still remember the feeling I had when I first saw it in the record store. I had been thinking "I should start listening to The Beatles" and there it was painfully obvious: the biggest hits on one CD. I guess millions of others had the same response. I think I had seen Past Masters before that and thought more in the lines of: "What is this?".

6. Streetlife Serenader

Streetlife Serenader Forum Resident

I owe a lot to "1". It was the first Beatles CD I bought back in 2004 when I first starting getting into that era of music. I was blown away. Then I bought all the individual albums and a full-blown obsession was born. I graduated high school that year and my entire spring/summer was spent rotating all the albums on my CD player. Fantastic memories.

7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It did pure and simple. The idea that this was omitted on a spurious technicality while LMD (no. 17) Something/CT (no. 4) PL/SFF (no. 2) not to mention three U.S. non Beatle sanctioned singles, were included was beyond moronic. Clearly someone has a dislike for this pivotal, ground breaking single as it regularly gets overlooked.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Timing is really the only viable answer here. I can almost guarantee if this compilation was put out in the eighties it wouldn’t have been even half as successful (note the flop which Twenty Greatest Hits was). The nineties saw a resurgence in Beatle interest between the first BBC set and Anthology soon after. Personally, I was shocked at “1”’s success. I was anticipating another Twenty Greatest Hits-type failure.

Paulwalrus, krock2009, 51IS and 4 others like this.
  9. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Imagine someone unfamiliar with The Beatles noting that You Know My Name was the last song in the compilation.

The question answers itself.

10. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Di I enjoy the mixes and SQ?

Original CD: No
    Remix CD: Yes
    Remix LP: Yes and double Yes!

11. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

thanks for the updates on how 1 made you a fan

i rolled my eyes when it came out... but the Beatles Machine keeps on making new fans, right on!

Chemically altered likes this.
  12. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

What I do find odd is that Please Please Me WAS number one in other UK trade magazines … just not the main one they took to be the bible version. Also … The whole argument that the Beatles didn‘t want to go to America until they had a number 1 hit also plays into this theme because Martin, Epstein and the Fabs held up a copy of Cash Box magazine as proof of having a number 1 hit … not Billboard. What if IWTHYH only got to number 2 in Billboard? Of course … all this conversation is nonsense 60 years after the fact lol.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I liked the sound of the original CD but thought it sounded better on vinyl (and what a great LP package that is!). I think the remixed album ranges from “ok” to excellent. It contains my favorite stereo mixes of Paperback Writer and Rain (the latter available only in video format on “1+”.

14. Chemically altered

"1+"? Let's not open that can of worms. Lol.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  15. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Not a #1 song. Only hit #2.

As for the lack of success of Past Masters, I would lay some blame on the Art Department. Slap a couple on unreleased or outtake pics on each cover and they would sell better.

Ryan Lux and MitchLT like this.
  16. Chemically altered

I believe a few others on this disc didn't hit no. 1, so...

Drifter likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It was timing based coincidence. The wheels for them to come to America at the beginning of ‘64 were already in motion well before IWTHYH hit number one.

18. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I always thought of 1. as an alternative to the Red and Blue albums for a new audience whose curiosity had been piqued by Anthology and the Britpop era. Past Masters was more for completists and people replacing their vinyl with CDs.

19. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I missed the original LP but I love the packaging on the remix. Well, except some of the small font. I enjoyed the freshness of the remixes. Agree with you about Paperback Writer and Rain. Great new mixes.

20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

So true.

Both the original 2000 release and the 2015 remixes are needlessly compressed.
    The original probably got a little caught up in the loudness war, but there are other things about the sound that I don't like.
    The 2015 remixes are...er...different. I can't say that they're all bad, but they're not all good.

The 2011 reissue used the same masters as the 2009 CDs, so that would be the go to.

Those who don't like the sound of the 2009 remasters aren't the audience for 1 anyway.

21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I think it is certified the best selling in the US, as well. It's definitely not 4th.

ARK, DK Pete and Chemically altered like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

"'Please Please Me' and 'Strawberry Fields' aren't there because they weren't number one...what's the problem?
    right, were talking about number one songs...unfortunately they weren't...

Cool Chemist, DK Pete and MHP like this.
  23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Important factor: Past Masters is a terrible stiff awkward title, and the generic cover design is dull as dishwater.

24. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

However, they could have been included under a slightly different concept, focused on UK A-sides. But I guess the label "1" was more attractive for the casual fan.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

perhaps, but knows what they are thinking...