The Beatles "1" Compilation. Why So Successful when Past Masters Wasn't?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

If the unifying concept were "UK A-sides", then "Eight Days A Week" would be out.

apple-richard likes this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yes it has hits, but also non hits and misses quite a few other hits so less lucrative for the casual listener

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Past Masters was more of a complimentaray release to include the songs not included with the first wave of digital releases. So you'd buy this to complete your collection, otherwise, you'd more likely just pick up the proper albums. I do recall CD releases of most of their singles releases back then. So it wan't like it was the only option to get any of the particular songs.

That being said, most would buy Past Master to be completionist. And those that bought One mostly weren't interested in having any of the albums, but did feel the necessity to own something. There are just more people in that camp.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

But it's not so it's in.

:wave:

Hombre likes this.
  5. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

Yes, and that's why "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields" are out.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Because Past Masters is a disjointed mess of a listen for many people including me, as well as having totally nondescript art. It also was very expensive to buy those two full price discs. When 1 came out I wasn't impressed with the art, but I've come to realise it's quite striking with it's colours, rather than the crappy monochrome photocopy look of Past Masters. 1 is a one stop easily available album for people who just want a hit after hit single Beatles disc for their collection. It couldn't fail.

I do think it's a shame a double complete UK singles A and B sides CD was never released using all the correct mixes. It would have been fantastic but it's too late now. We're way past the era of physical media and well into the remix era now. In ten years time or so all the Beatles original mixes will be history, consigned to second hand records and CDs.

I haven't played the 1 remixes much, but I know I thought the Paperback Writer one was great. I haven't compared it to the 2022 remix in the Revolver set.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

No no. It was released at peak CD sales. 80’s was definitely NOT that time.

8. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I think 1 was filled to the brim in such a way that only “Her Majesty” might be the only one that fit

9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

But only if it was remixed. :laugh:

PIGGIES and ARK like this.
  10. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

Doesn't answer the original question, but this came out when I was in middle school and was a springboard to lifelong Beatle Fandom, so I have fond memories

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Horrible omissions though.

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

They put all the songs on the cd that could fit and then came up with the logic of using only select UK and US charts.

Chemically altered likes this.
  13. Chemically altered

That's great to hear. I honestly thought old timers like me were the only ones interested in this album but have slowly learned that it was the springboard for many younger folks. You learn something new everyday!

Holler Wanderer and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Chemically altered

80 minute playing time. Rats!

ARK likes this.
  15. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

1 is for the chart position. And 1 is also for 1CD. Those cheeky Beatles...

Surprised it didn't arrive in 1997, a year after the last Anthology Album, but 1 served a great purpose for casual fans. Single disc of big Beatles hits to blast on the car stereo! Zoom through their incredible evolution without even opening your CD changer!

The Beatles "problem" when compiling singles is that every single was a hit (Top 10 or so). So a true hits compilation would be a comprehensive collection of every single, which is more than one CD.

So I guess adding the #1 requirement was an objective status filter to trim things to 1 CD (the ultimate goal) as opposed to someone's taste being the filter, which would have been subjective.

We have Red and Blue, which are the subjective compilations (some singles and some album tracks), even with John Lennon himself having input on those. Not sure about the other three.

1 then was the opposite approach, albeit flawed perhaps, but whatever. It was a more objective comp.

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Timing is everything. The market was ready for a new Beatles comp, and it arrived in the age of streaming. For many young'ins, this was the entry point.

17. Lemon Curry

I'd also say that I really like the 1+ bluray with all the videos and hi-res tracks. A great rainy day escape.

18. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Despite the obvious evidence stated in these sleeve notes we really must defer to certain of our American friends who despite ignoring The Beatles for the whole of 1963, clearly know better than us mere British fans on this subject, you know, the ones who lived through it.

19. Chemically altered

That's for the next thread. :righton:

DmitriKaramazov and DK Pete like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Most of the big acts tend to put out a new compilation every few years for a new generation. For me it was the flop Beatles 20 Greatest Hits compilation from 1982, when I was eight. This seemed to try and serve the same purpose as 1 in the vinyl and cassette era but it didn't take off. It also missed out Please Please Me and Strawberry Fields Forever, but it was the first time I heard all those big Beatles hits in one go.

The Beatles - 20 Greatest Hits

I had it on cassette. I can imagine the vinyl sounding weak with all that crammed on one record.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Past Masters wasn't a Greatest Hits compilation. It was simply all the remaining songs that didn't make it to LP.

DK Pete and Chemically altered like this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Sound like a UK version of the US "Hey Jude" album story. Funny how these opportunities pop up.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

….much better than the 2022.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not number ones in the UK according to the chart that The official Charts Company use. Most charts in the UK (there wasn't a definitive one back then) put Please Please Me at No 1. Some even put Strawberry Fields at no 1 but the one BBC used for TOTP at the time put Please Release Me by Engelbert Humperdinck above it. A travesty that their greatest single was only No 2. I feel the modern position regarding Please Please Me is totally revisionist as it was regarded as a No 1 at time of issue.

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

PPM is such a big step forward from Love Me Do it's a shame and frustrating it's often overlooked. I think it's one of their best singles. A confident lively and energetic rock n' roll single, much more exciting than what else was going on in the UK then, rather than the tentative, flat and nursery rhyme like Love Me Do, especially in it's single version.