The Beatles "1" Compilation. Why So Successful when Past Masters Wasn't?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I understand why those songs were excluded from 1, I'm just saying that they could have been included if the concept had been slightly different (i.e., UK A-sides collection).

Garageflower, DK Pete and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

The 1+ remix release, that has the videos along with the songs mixed in surround is excellent. Enhanced clarity, instrument separation and bass and drums like it should heard are what I love about it. I don’t get upset about little things like tambourines being slightly louder in the mix etc..

I don’t miss one moment of sleep worried about the new mixes being substantially different than the originals. Nor do get upset that the surround mixes are not Uber discrete.

I also have 1 available on Apple Music which now has ATMOS mixes. Those are really interesting but I prefer the 5.1 mixes in the end.

3. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Peak CD sales was mid-to-late nineties. I think 2000 was the top year in history.

They released too early in the eighties and too late in the new century to take full advantage of peak CD sales. And they still sold 31 million copies of 1.

Garageflower and mBen989 like this.
  4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

But it was released in November of 2000 so right at the very top

5. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Past Masters were mostly what didn't make it to albums, no? So what's the significance of comparing the two? 1s was always a #1 hits album. Past Masters wasn't.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Billy Infinity, CHIP72 and AndyTaylor like this.
  6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

If you want to call all their English songs superfluous, there isn't much left.

coffeetime, Another Steve and ARK like this.
  7. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

An odd question for a forum full of die-hard Beatles fans. :) I'm not but can still answer that:

"Past Masters" isn't supposed to be a "Best of". It's a completist collection of all official studio recordings that are not already contained in the 13 studio albums. In other words, it's "Rarities (Expanded)".

[​IMG]

Paul P., mBen989, theMess and 4 others like this.
  8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Reminds me of the excellent London Years compilation by the Rolling Stones

9. manco

manco Forum Resident

Past Masters is essential if you want all the B-sides and you even get the German versions of a couple of songs.

CHIP72 and Chemically altered like this.
  10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They could do an early fade out on Hey Jude :hide:

11. flyingdutchman

Naw. I want to hear McCartney's continued effort to sound like a hard rocker with his screaming.

12. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Two*

Dyland and Billy Infinity like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Past Masters mops up all the tracks not on post 1987 official catalogue albums. Excludes singles included on the US Magical Mystery Tour LP as that is now an official worldwide album. As you say no1s is just that though the exclusion of Please Please Me is revisionist due to the chart used being of less importance (and accuracy) in 1963.

Chemically altered likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Don't be so dramatic, especially after telling someone who posted informative information that there's "no need to rant". Nobody's trying to control anything or getting on an "ego-trip" over decades old compilations. It's a discussion, like fans of other bands have about their compilations.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You weren't. It was a good post full of information I didnt know even though I've been interested in that kind of thing for years.

16. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

1 is the best of
    Past Masters is the rest of

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i would not be without either 'past masters', and i do not own '1'.

18. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

I remember an interview with Ozzy Osbourne where he said he had a copy of Beatles 1 in every room in his house. I imagine his house is pretty big so that’s quite a few copies right there.

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmm. Reality according to Ozzy? Lol.

20. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I'd say that Red & Blue are "the best of" and 1 is "greatest hits".

21. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

The peak of the CD era was the year 2000. The very year this compilation was released.

22. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I'm not sure how kicking out legit #1 singles Eight Days a Week, Yesterday and Long and Winding Road is supposed to satisfy casual fans. Also, denying superior US B-sides to #1 singles like I Saw Her Standing There and I Should Have Known Better, for This Boy and Things We Said Today. There is actually room left (on 2 CDs) and then some to include US #1 singles and the US B-sides to #1 singles:

I Saw Her Standing There
    I Should Have Known Better
    Eight Days a Week
    I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    Yesterday
    Act Naturally
    The Long and Winding Road
    For Your Blue

However, once you expand outside #1 US singles to get at Twist and Shout you instantly encounter Do You Want to Know a Secret? If only Twist and Shout as well as All My Loving, And I Love Her/If I Fell was a UK release.

23. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

imagine years of thinking you are a serious/serial/cereal fan and never heard Strawberry Fields Forever

the Bob Marley Legend-only route to serious fandom :D

24. flyingdutchman

Ya, why you shouldn't compare them and begs the question: why was the thread created?

ARK and Billy Infinity like this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

"Beatle-boomer", "Beatles worshippers", "control", "ego trip"...all in two sentences!

There is no doubt BB's (I'm abbreviating) get very technical about Beatle output. For everyone that I would guess are the targets for this, "1" doesn't really matter - we all have the OGs, the comps, etc. It's duplicative. It's just fun to discuss it. The release that caught my eye and has meaning is 1+. But that's another story.

Just trying to get along here. This is a fun thread to check in on.