The Beatles 14th Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Has a rough mix of "What Is Life?" ever surfaced that has a complete vocal, or do they all only have George singing the first three words of every verse?

2. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I have to say that this one is my favorite so far, as it really seems like something they would have released.

The only way my brain allows a fantasy Beatles album to work is if it consists of songs that were worked on during the Beatles' tenure. It just makes sense.

This one (and possibly a few others in this thread) is gonna find its way to my CD burner soon.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's definitely a valid approach to take, but for me it was too limiting. You never know what songs they would have written on their own in the months leading up to a late-1970 album; to me the only songs that wouldn't exist would be the ones that directly resulted from the breakup (like "How Do You Sleep" or "Sue Me Sue You Blues"). Also, to include something like "Teddy Boy" (truly a low point for Macca imo) just because it was attempted with the Beatles is to weaken the album over a technicality. Just my 2 cents...

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yeah, maybe it should be on there instead of Deep Blue. I wanted to do an album that was kind of stripped-down in sound. I still like That Would Be Something being where it is.

Evan

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

That's the way I compile my CD.

Beatles Early 1970 - All Plastic Must Pass /running time 77+ minutes
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    01 All Things Must Pass - George Harrison.mp3
    02 Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney.mp3
    03 Early 1970 - Ringo Starr.mp3
    04 Working class hero - John Lennon.mp3
    05 Every Night - Paul McCartney.mp3
    06 Mother - John Lennon.mp3
    07 Junk - Paul McCartney.mp3
    08 Well, well, well - John Lennon.mp3
    09 That Would Be Something - Paul McCartney.mp3
    10 Look at me - John Lennon.mp3
    11 Oo You - Paul McCartney.mp3
    12 God - John Lennon.mp3
    13 My Sweet Lord - George Harrison.mp3
    14 I found out - John Lennon.mp3
    15 Teddy Boy - Paul McCartney.mp3
    16 Hold on - John Lennon.mp3
    17 Wah-Wah - George Harrison.mp3
    18 Isolation - John Lennon.mp3
    19 Coochy Coochy - Ringo Starr.mp3
    20 Man We Was Lonely - Paul McCartney.mp3
    21 Remember - John Lennon.mp3
    22 Love - John Lennon.mp3

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Sean Murdock

I see ... "What Is Life" is definitely not "stripped down"! But neither is "Instant Karma," and those two songs have a similar Spectorian touch -- not quite as overblown as other ATMP songs.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yeah, the album starts out with IK and then gets really mellow throughout "side one", that's for sure. Most of the cuts I did choose for this comp are fairly laid back. I deliberately didn't want to go with the heavier Lennon cuts from POB.

Evan

8. Sean Murdock

Do you use the Anthology 3 demo or the full-blown solo version of "All Things Must Pass"?

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

ATMP. Thought of using the demo but the full version sounds good here.

Evan

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

ALL THINGS MUST PASS

SIDE ONE
    Cold Turkey
    My Sweet Lord
    Every Night
    Love
    What Is Life
    Maybe I'm Amazed

SIDE TWO
    Instant Karma!
    It Don't Come Easy
    Junk
    Isn't It A Pitty
    God
    All Things Must Pass

I would just take the best tracks recorded during that time period and use those -- Beatles albums are always great collections of music. I can't get behind concepts like "no God" references because they would record and include whatever was going on with them at the time. There aren't too many rules, they just kept evolving. I just want to hear the strongest Beatles record possible. I'm sure there's a couple tracks people may swap out, but for the rest, it's pretty cut and dry.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I don't know, they apparently had a "no heroin addiction song" ban. That collection flows pretty well, but "God" is a repudiation of two of George's songs. Maybe he would've been happy to get three songs on the album regardless.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The song God also repudiates the Beatles themselves which is why it shoudn't be on a "Beatles" album.

Evan

13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Perhaps some of these songs would not have been written if there wasn't tension in the air or that they were on the verge of a breakup.

14. Dr. Pepper

Na, it repudiates everything, so it's OK.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Except, of course, for the "I need a fix and I'm going down" song and the "Everybody's Got Something To Hide But Me and My Monkey" song. :shh:

But "Cold Turkey" belongs on Abbey Road, anyway, not on the 14th album.

16. Dr. Pepper

I think I'm going to move this to my 1971 comp, then I can have "How do you sleep," Back off Bogaloo," and "Wah-Wah," back to back to make a bash on Paul trilogy!:D You think they were kind of mad at Paul?

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think the other Beatles might appreciate the irony of the "don't believe in Beatles " bit being on one of their albums. Remember George wearing his Stamp Out the Beatles " sweatshirt during the Sgt. Pepper sessions ?
    I think the other three would have enjoyed the humor of John's reference regardless of whether it was intended as humor or not.

18. Glenn Christense

P.S. I have resisted posting my version of a Beatles 14th album so far because I have never compiled one to my satisfaction, but I may post mine tonight . I may have a little different approach than what has been presented so far.

19. Sean Murdock

Bring it on, Glenn!

20. Dr. Pepper

Hmmm... a mystery... could it be that you are truly the 5th Beatle?

21. Glenn Christense

All my songs on the album will be ..backwards. :)

My version isn't THAT different . It's slow at work I'll try to post it now.

22. Glenn Christense

My main priority is having something where the songs sound like they belong together, so out go electric full band songs, because the productions vary way too widely to have a consistent listening experience IMO.

The Beatles As Nature Intended ...Sorry Ringo. Next time. We'll phone you.

1. Every Night
    2. Look At Me
    3. Beware of Darkness
    4. Child of Nature
    5. Teddy Boy
    6. Working Class Hero
    7. Apple Scruffs
    8. Singalong Junk
    9. Remember
    10. Let it Down
    11. Goodbye
    12. Love
    13. All Things Must Pass

"Beware of Darkness" and "Let it Down" from Beware of Abkco. "All Things Must Pass"...Georges demo. Everything else from the officially released solo albums. "Child of Nature" from Get Back sessions. "Goodbye" from the Anthology.

Assembled for disc by Glenn Christensen
    Mastered by Steve Hoffman .:)
    Catering by Dr. Pepper !

Bonus Limited Edition EP. :)
    1. Mother
    2. Oh Woman, Oh Why
    3. What Is Life ?
    4. It' Don't Come Easy

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Popcorn and frozen pizza for everyone, and to drink - well that's just too obvious!

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Sorry I haven't bothered to read the whole thread but, when will this album be released??

25. Glenn Christense

What ?? No ginger slings, with a pineapple tart ? :D

Seriously, I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks about my essentially all acoustic theme. Now obviously many of their greatest songs get lost in this process , but my main goal is to make a pleasurable listening experience , and I can't do it with the electric things and make it sound like a "Beatles" album.

Like others here, I also stuck to songs written during the Beatles era, when... not surprisingly, the songs still sound...Beatley. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.