THE BEATLES 78 RPM India Indian Parlophone 10" orig - set of 10 diff records

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by HILO, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HILO

HILO Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Off topic, but this would be a brilliant idea for a reissue series.

Pressed on shellac, of course. With a proper 3 mil stylus profile.

Sean likes this.
  3. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Wow, they were really behind the times over there in the early '60's, huh? I didn't realize ANYBODY was still pressing 78 singles in 1964. Weird. Thanks for posting.

4. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

I heard a story about the Dead's first album being MASTERED on shellac (or something very-similar) back in 1967 or whenever that first came out. I have a vinyl rip of that first pressing. Sounds great.

5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It should include a cactus.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

First of all, India was far behind in technology. Most residents only had 78 players in 1964. Yet The Beatles were an international sensation, so Parlophone sent its 78rpm record pressing machines to India, and they were pretty much the exclusive producers of The Beatles on 78rpm.

The same reason above is why many 1950s singles, particularly country flavored ones (Sun Records output comes to mind) and black music were put out on 78rpm right up until the end of the decade. Poorer folk couldn't afford to upgrade as new technology came into existence. Records cut at 33 1/3rpm based on the Columbia Records model, or RCA's large-holed 45rpm standard were the new technology. 78rpm players were pretty much all there was from the early 1900s - 1949. Again, many people couldn't afford to upgrade, yet they were still a big market for certain types of music (country, black or what were called race records). Even early rock and roll continued to be put out on 78rpm in the US for quite a while.

PH416156 likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

By the way, notice the $499(!!) shipping fee on top of the $7000 starting price. Really? I know 78rpm records are relatively heavy, but pack the records in bubble wrap and charge $100.

From the auction: "PLEASE NOTE SHIPPING IS USD 499"

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Did someone take a couple bites out of one of them?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    AnalogJ and EddieMann like this.
  9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Judging from the pictures, the records are in very rough condition.

But it is fascinating to see that these exist, and it must be unusual to find this many 78rpm Beatles records in one place.

AnalogJ likes this.
  10. owsley

owsley Senior Member

James Fenway likes this.
  11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There were still a few US labels pressing 78s into the 1960s, mostly gospel and private issue.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

AnalogJ and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  13. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I find it funny that he still considers it VG- in that shape.

tremspeed likes this.
  14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Maybe it stands for "vinyl gouge".

AnalogJ and hominy like this.
  15. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Interesting, but seller is dreaming.

16. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

There's a "VG+" that's broken!

AnalogJ and Magnus A. like this.
  17. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Breakfast With The Beatles played this disc a few times.

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Those are not only rough, they were played on Victrola type players. They are trashed. But it is interesting to see any sale of all at once. Excuse me - any listing of all at once. I don;t think they're worth that price.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

As long as the label is intact and most of the record, these will sell for real money.

No different than thrashed blues 78s or thrashed Elvis Sun 45s. I know someone that got $600 on ebay for a mono Piper Pink Floyd Canadian 6000 label that had a chunk missing.

Shipping is that expensive. Some food like cracked are easier to break than some 78's.

20. AnalogJ

What I would do with them is make a sort of window box out of them. Turn them into a piece of art. I'm sure they pretty much sound like trash, but the look is cool. If a had a sort of modern decor room, imagine those in a display.

21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

If you check the seller's store they are offering other records, often VG+, for large amounts.
    eg. "QUEEN bohemian rhapsody/i'm in love Orig 1975 EMI RARE SINGLE INDIA INDIAN VG++ 0 Bids: $799.00"
    This would not have been a very rare item, and it's not even rated M.

At least the seller said they would be open to serious offers. They also said that "IN DUE COURSE I WILL BE PUTTING UP SOME MORE".

22. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

That right there is a strong indication that these records will arrive in many pieces. Seller probably has no clue how to ship 78s and is just going to go overboard with packing materials incorrectly utilized. I had this happen once. The seller went bonkers with bubble wrap in a huge box for one damn 78 that arrived broken anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.