The Beatles Abbey Road at #3 on Billboard album charts!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

64,000 is not impressive. The fact is that album sales are at a 30 year low. In the '90s albums were certified multi-platinum at release.

JFSebastion likes this.
  2. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

no. it beat out Sgt. Pepper remix by 100 days

Aftermath likes this.
  3. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

lets see where your Pop stars of today are 50 yrs from now.

4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Worldwide I would imagine more people know who the "The Beatles" are than any of the other acts you name. In fact many of those people wouldn't have clue who those other acts are.

Vic_1957 and 2141 like this.
  5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Very easy if your a fanboy to sit back 50 years later, full of that arrogant self-confidence.
    I don’t care if the artists of now is relevant in 50 years time. That’s not the point. The point is that it’s only because of the fanbase buying physical products, that The Beatles gets to no. 1. 8000 units is low. Compared to what the acts of now are selling, it’s nothing. And that’s how it should be. The Beatles are a nostalgia act.

6. MHP

Wrong. It’s the other way around.
    On this forum, nearly no one knows the acts of today, but sits in their own little community talking of The Beatles as the worlds biggest act still.

Ask the majority of the youth worldwide if they know who The Beatles are. There will be less and less who knows or even care.

7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yeah, if you say so, youngsters, pffft ..

Hermes likes this.
  8. MHP

Which says it all about this community.
    Folks here are exactly speaking in terms of their own parents when The Beatles came on the scene...

9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I did hear about The Beatles from my parents, my aunts and uncles too. I was about three or four years old when I first heard about the fabs. I remember being excited that they were bringing a record out so I would finally get to hear what they had all been talking about, the record "Love Me Do".

10. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

need some cheese to go with that whine?

edvj, JFSebastion and Vic_1957 like this.
  11. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

The Beatles didn't get to number 1 with 8,000 sales. Are you even trying anymore at this point?

stevenson66g, JFSebastion and JDeanB like this.
  12. MHP

Then what? 64.000 sold? Still low...

13. Banter

Banter Forum Resident

Considering the top album of 2019 according to Forbes sold 312,000 physical units ( BTS - Map of the Soul: Persona) , I would say 64,000 units on release week for a 50 year old album that most people already own is a pretty strong showing. Physical units are such a terrible way to measure album sales now anyway. Most people don't buy physical copies. Physical copies are mostly reserved for hobbyists and older generations.

stollar likes this.
  14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

For those who don’t know/don’t understand how the charts work these days, perhaps this graphic will help. Last week’s chart from hitsdailydouble (TEA = track equivalent albums; SEA = streaming equivalent albums):
    [​IMG]

stollar, Christian Hill and Zeki like this.
  15. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

The Beatles did not reach number 1. It was number 3....with a 50 year old album. You're comparing that with current acts who release new music. And if these other acts are selling so much then how did the Beatles make it to number 3? Fact is, you have a few top acts who sell a lot and the rest, not so much. That's how it is these days.

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

mrjinks and 2141 like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D It’s 8 times your claim.

2141 and MikeVielhaber like this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I really doubt it’s arbitrary. The different industry interests came up with the method of tallying after, I would bet, a lot of discussion. It may leave our heads spinning but it isn’t just plucked out of the air (or elsewhere).

19. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Guys, it was DaBaby that sold the 8,000.

His album KIRK is #1 with 145,000 album equivalent units (137,000 units coming from streams/track downloads).

Let’s kind of end that confusion.

stevenson66g likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Oh, yes, there is a reason behind how they picked their numbers. Billboard certainly had some meetings and discussions to figure this all out. But it still is an arbitrary process. As the article says:

The Billboard 200 will now include two tiers of on-demand audio streams. TIER 1: paid subscription audio streams (equating 1,250 streams to 1 album unit) and TIER 2: ad-supported audio streams (equating 3,750 streams to 1 album unit).

So why does an ad-free site need 3 times (3X, that is 1250 x 3 = 3750) as many streams as a non-ad streaming site? Why isn't it 2X or 5X or 22X? Completely made-up numbers (plus those numbers of 1250 and 3750 have also changed over time, and they likely will change in the future too).

It is as if an album (say, Abbey Road) selling at one store for $6.99 in 1969 would be worth 1-and-a-half sales compared to the same album selling more cheaply at another store for $4.99.

But that's the way it is.

mrjinks likes this.
  21. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

8000 units?
    Yikes. I got 8000 units in the room next to me!

vinylbeat likes this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I hear ya but... Beyonce is huge.

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

#1 in Spain! There's still hope over here :righton:

stollar and Exotiki like this.
  24. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

One additional thing to keep in mind is that Billboard shows Abbey Road as going from #71 the week before its new release and shooting up to #3 (and also shows the album as being in its 329th week on the chart. So obviously that means they aren't distinguishing between sales/downloads/streams of the original version/mix of the album and sales/downloads/streams of the just released new version. Its ALL sales/downloads/streams of every version of the album currently in print (or on streaming platforms) combined.

WolfSpear likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Very true.

Moreover, because the person in charge of tallying the sales numbers in near-sighted and lost his eyeglasses, he is also counting sales of: ;)

[​IMG]

BusNoise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.