The Beatles and Cirque de Soleil "Love" in Vegas*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Looks like Mighty Aphrodite to me. :D

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

We all live in a BLUE submarine... ;)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Well let's be honest, which would you prefer? Mira Sorvino or .......

[​IMG]

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It's surprising how many people were blue at the original prospect of this project.

5. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Based on other threads and my own list, here is what I believe to be the most complete list of songs played in the theater before the show starts:
    These are the original recordings they played in the theater prior to the show, sans the lead vocals (backing vocals were still present)

You Never Give Me Your Money
    Good morning Good morning (with cold ending and animal noises)
    Dear Prudence
    Run For Your Life
    Taxman (Anthology 2 version)
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    Rain
    I Should Have Known Better
    Baby You're A Rich Man
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    Girl
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    With A Little Help From My Friends

MLutthans likes this.
  6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I thought I remembered hearing "I'm Only Sleeping" (Anthology instrumental version)

BobFever likes this.
  7. Anthology123

It's possible that I'm only sleeping was played, do you remember between which songs? I wrote down each song that was played when I was in the theater, so it is not likely to be between You never give me your money and Baby you're a rich man. There is also a chance that You've got to hide your love away and Got to get you into my life are also Anthology versions, too.

8. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Got tickets to see this the week I'm in the USA for Desert Trip!
    Woo!!

mrjinks likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

11. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I was there on Thursday night, the staging has been drastically changed, far more Beatles footage than before. Musically the only real change is twist and shout coming in and Walrus getting dropped. Some of the transitions have been messed about with or cleaned up a bit but there aren't any other full new songs.

From a staging perspective the new sequence for While My Guitar Gently Weeps is just fabulous. I think that's what the article is referring to, there are three new sequences but to tracks which were already a part of the show.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  12. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

I definitely remember hearing Penny Lane when I saw it October 2015 (third time, very eager to see the new version!)

BobFever likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Thanks for the details!

Rigsby likes this.
  14. Anthology123

They must be changing the song selection over time. The list I created was one from 2008.

15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I noted the following when I saw the show summer 2014(?).

LOVE WALK-IN MUSIC
    Because
    Good morning
    prudence
    run for your life
    Taxman
    Hide your love away
    Rain
    Should have known better
    Rich Man
    Got to get you
    Girl
    And your bird
    A little help

Yosi likes this.
  16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Lennon, Ono, Shevell, McCartney, Starr.

[​IMG]

seaisletim likes this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Got tix for a 9:30 Monday in May. Will be my third time to see. Discovered the Mirage Hotel has discount sales on their website, not through a third party. You need to look for the link and I guess it is not for all shows. I booked 6 weeks in advance. Still is not inexpensive but if ya want to see it.... You can now view what seats are available and the cost. Web site is a bit clunky so do not be in a hurry to book. The theater in the round and is so small that really ANY seat is good. Action is going around all over the room. I was surprised that not all shows appear to sell out as seats were available a few hours before showtime. There is also a freebee on Friday & Sunday nights of a 30 minute look at rehearsals, or so some articles claim. I will call box-office to follow up if true.

19. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I got the chance to see the revamped version for a second time this weekend, and had a wonderful experience.

Perhaps because I was now already prepared for the changes, and perhaps because there had been a few tweaks(?) since I last saw it, I found it an exhilarating experience overall. Beyond the spectacle, and obviously the music, what I really enjoy is that there is a human element here—lots of fantastic dance sequences and interactions. I also like the fact that the "John and Julia" thread is still there for those able to discern it; in fact, I was incredibly moved at the end.

20. mds

mds Forum Resident

Just returned from a visit to sin City and saw the Cirque du Soleil perform The Beatles Love show at the Mirage. I was totally mesmerized by every aspect of the experience. Not only was the visuals over the top fantastic but the music, including "Beatle" banter along with the light and sound system were all seamlessly perfect. Talk about being totally immersed in sight and sound this is at the top of any experience I have ever had. If anyone has a chance and hasn't seen this show I recommend taking the next flight out even if you have to find a cheap flight, a cheap room and cheap tickets, you will not regret it. I am headed back with my wife, daughter and her husband next Spring. A real psychedelic experience without the use of drugs. Those of you who are Beatles experts probably already know the origins of the songs and where in the historic time line of social/political events that took place and inspired their writings, but I had forgotten or at the time was too involved in going crazy with the times to put it all together. The show does this nicely through the actions of the troupe, the video & light show being played, the lyrics to the music and the dialogue of the Beatles that they play between songs. All of why or what inspired them to write a particular song falls into place. This is not to say every last song has a deep meaning, but many do and I wasn't aware of that fact. I kept thinking, oh, wow, that's why they did that song or that's the real meaning behind those lyrics. Very enlightening to me.

TeacFan, vince, lightbulb and 7 others like this.
  21. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Seeing this show is definitely on my to do list!

22. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've seen it 3X. Great every time, IMHO.

DK Pete and mds like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great post. My wife and I saw it about 10 years ago; at first I had mixed feelings about even seeing it but once it started, it didn't take long for the "Beatle magic" to start taking over. By the end, I actually felt a sadness that it was over. It exceeded my expectations, for sure.

mds, deadbirdie and Electric Sydney like this.
  24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I didn't know there was a thread for Love. Saw it 2 weeks ago for the first time and I loved it. Just entrancing. I wasn't sure what to expect as I've never seen a Cirque show, but it surpassed my expectations. I would love to (and probably will) see it again in the future. Highly recommended!

Also, I picked up a Christmas vinyl box set in the gift shop for $95. Not too shabby :righton:

mds and DK Pete like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Those messages really need to come out on one, nice 180g LP/CD. As colored vinyl singles, they're a great novelty but they really all should be assembled onto one disc, IMO.

deadbirdie and MsMaclen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.