The Beatles and the Moog on Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwjeffrey, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

the synth' on Here Comes The Sun and Because is quite superb !

BeatleJWOL, Rojo, anth67 and 2 others like this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

George's leads on it are genius.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:unhunh:

4. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I loved electronic music in the late 60’s and their use of the Moog was pretty unimaginative I thought. The timbre didn’t fit either. But it doesn’t Keep me from enjoying the album.

5. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

McCartney used the Moog throughout most of the 70's and it appeared continuously on albums from Red Rose Speedway all the way through McCartney II not to mention it was his main instrument on his Rude Studio recordings.

Ken Wood and theMess like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

John's white noise oblivion worked well as a special effect I suppose and the little touch on the angelic "Because" fitted the sugary tone of that particular song but I never liked the use of it on "Here Comes The Sun" - I found it a bit cheap and cheesy, tacky. As for the awful "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", the thing is so over arranged that the moog is just another kitsch addition to the overall mess.

7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Yes and it was used on The Notorious Byrd Brothers (McGuinn's Moog) recorded in 1967. Given the rapport that existed between Beatles and Byrds it's almost a certainty that the Beatles knew of it before George set eyes on one in November '68.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  8. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Let’s not forget The Monkees using the moog synthesizer on Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. or Simon & Garfunkel using it on Bookends either, all before The Beatles. The Beatles, however, were able to use the moog less as an exploit or novelty and more as a subtle arrangement embellishment, as others have mentioned; limiting how dated the music sounds to this day.

9. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

Saw this short YouTuber rundown of early synth work. It was pretty interesting.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

About the only band to use synths tastefully before ELP. Contrast with The Monkees (who I do love) who used it for atonal novelty fx.

11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Totally agree. BTW-it’s George on white noise generator. Not that it matters.

Purple Jim likes this.
  12. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Daily Nightly :ed:
    Yeah, but it works for that tune's exaggerated psychedelia, though. (I love it, maybe the sentimental residue of how weirdly fascinating it was as a little kid watching the TV rerun.)

gja586, The Ole' Rocker and elaterium like this.
  13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I much prefer its use on those Monkees tunes. They don’t treat it as just a slightly unusual keyboard instrument.

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Good video. There are a lot of sources out on the web as to which artist used a Moog on their album first but it gets complicated around 1966 and 1967. Emil Richard's, percussionist, vibes and mallet pounder had a percussive album released in either 1966 or 1967. The album, New Sound Element: Stones, is a percussion freakout with Moog played by Paul Beaver. This album has to be one of the earliest albums to use the Moog. Emil Richards besides his own albums was a session musician who plays on some pop albums from the 60s and up. He did the mallet pounding on Frank Zappa's / Lumpy Gravy album (almost Chinese) and he played vibes on the Shadowfax - Shadowdance album from the early 80s.

ShockControl likes this.
  15. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Yep, such a shame there would no more opportunities to hear The Beatles playing Moog again (or The Beatles playing any other instruments together, obviously)

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's why I enjoy it much as I do as I said in my previous post: it's "The Beatles" in their "normal", original instrumental roles..no switcheroos with guitar playing, bass, whatever...the group as we fell in love with them from the start focusing around the guy who all those years ago was their newest member. And now...all these years later...dpoing it again.

willwin and vonwegen like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just wanted to say I love your avatar.

RickH likes this.
  18. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Compare that with McGuinn's use of it on "Moog Raga". There's a reason why it's only an outtake.

anth67 likes this.
  19. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

That is what I listen for, every time I play that song. George's solo is brilliant, as are John's arpeggios. That and all the lovely harmonies. Oh, and the bubbles in the bridge.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

My favourite Mooging on ‘Abbey Road’ is on “Because.” It really pushes the eeriness of the song up a few notches.

21. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Joyce - The Dubliners
    Beatles - The Overdubbliners

nicktf, Cachiva and uzn007 like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The instrumental-backing version of because on the deluxe set has given me a whole new appreciation of the song.

23. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Is there more than one band called "ELP"? :D

Rfreeman likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ok, melodically

uzn007 likes this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Good video, but... "Symph"... ugh...

Thread Status: