The Beatles : Anthology Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Nov 14, 2021.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm happy with the DVD unless there is a lot of new content.

My guess is if it goes to a new format it'll end up on Disney+ next to Get Back. They have all the Star Wars, all the Muppets, why not all the Beatles' stuff?

Ms. Daisy, Vidiot and Michael like this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Anthology+ (Anniversary Expanded 2025)

Include a "Live" volume to Blu-Ray boxset with physical media copy of these:

Washington DC, Melbourne Hall, At Shea Stadium, The Budokan (2 performances)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve still got the laserdisc!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if not I'm good as well...we really don't need more George bitching about The Beatles or Ringo's Peace and Luv...

longdist01 and mmars982 like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

where's the pre-order! ; )

Scott57 and longdist01 like this.
  6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I would like to see it on Blu-Ray even if they keep the resolution as is. That would allow the entire program to fit on less discs, fit in a slimmer case & fit in with my other Blu-Ray titles. I would like to see them expand it a little in the beginning with information about how the Anthology came about, why it came out when it did & what the Beatles want the fans to understand about the Beatles after watching the Anthology.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, if they do it, I'll buy it, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. It looks like a great deal of work would be involved and I'm not sure that blu-ray sales would pay for it.

However, if they did it but widescreened it all up, no sale. The original presentation was not widescreen, most of the clips are not widescreen, and I don't want to seen them zoom in and cut out part of the picture just to make it fill my screen.

8. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Most interviews were filmed on video.

I think onc could recreate anthology by mixing restored PAL-DVD video with 1+ releases

longdist01 likes this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Maybe Peter Jackson will help Apple with a Remastered and expanded visual Boxset and restore the older performance footage, etc.

Like after a Deluxe Get Back/Let It Be similar to what's happening with LOTR and The Hobbit Trilogy.

Anthology, plus extra material not offered with Get Back Deluxe release...Apple is always dangling another morsel along the way...

10. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Do you know that for certain? I think they were shot on 16mm film, the Sgt. Pepper Documentary was shot on 16mm and it was still quite common in the early 90s to shoot stuff like this on 16mm.

11. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

There is interlacing present. By deinterlacing you get a 50fps video

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's been done and they're sitting on it in the Apple vault. I think they'd have to conform it back to match the original 1994-1995 shows, but it's not that hard to do. The difficult work -- going through all the materials and creating a 10-hour show -- was already done decades ago. I don't know why it wasn't redone for HD years ago.

Hey, maybe Peter Jackson can be put in charge and noise-reduce the crap... no, not gonna say it.

I think Jeff Jones at Apple is very careful and calculated at what projects they redo, what they reissue, and what new projects are done from scratch. They've said before, "we don't want to release everything under the sun as a cash grab... we want to take our time and do things right."

If it were me, I'd like to see a Beatles: Live boxed set that basically took every filmed or videotape performance they ever did, clean it up, and release it on home video as a boxed set. That's never been done before. Anthology we've already seen. A complete live release has never been done.

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I bought the DVD set the day it was released in 2003 and have watched it exactly once.

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I hope Apple and Jeff Jones plan to release a Beatles: Live boxed set one day!

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I tell ya, The Beatles Live on Video is a great idea for a boxed set. Shea, Hollywood Bowl, Budokan, Sullivan, the Apple rooftops, the works.

I also had an idea years ago: take every Beatles song for which there is no visual performance, and create a CGI version in the same mode as "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love." Just abstract animation that covers the song and lyrics and tells the story, even do it in different styles, wild and intense. There's got to be more than 100 songs that fall into that category. To do it... all you need is cash.

THIS is what I'm talking about:

All Apple's gotta do is just want to do it. Every song gets an animated/live action treatment. And the promo above is 10 years old -- hire a dozen different artists and have them go at it. It'd be amazing. Don't tell me they don't have the money.

If I win De Lotto this week, I'll move heaven and earth to convince Jeff Jones to do it.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Well I sure hope the momentum from Peter Jackson's 'Get Back' project convinces Apple to be creative!

Like you said @Vidiot There's many more projects that can happen if Apple, Beatles Estates want to just do it!

BobbyG, Ms. Daisy and Vidiot like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

30P on Disney+ in America, I believe.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done! There's nothing you can sing that can't be sung! All you need is cash!

longdist01 likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Antholgy?
    You see used dvd boxes cheap. Not seen the vhs boxes for 20 years.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

(Courtesy of Joel Thingvall on Facebook.)

20. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Then it has been mishandled

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet it'll be 24fps in theaters. We live in a complicated world of multistandard releases: many people in Europe have seen a lot of movies sped up to 25fps, which is 4.1% faster than they were intended. There are ways of retiming films now at various speeds with minimal artifacts. We still don't know if Let It Be was shot at 25fps or 24fps. I'm waiting for a story on how Jabez Olssen and his editorial team edited Get Back and what the workflow was.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

There are 50i PAL and 60i NTSC DVDs of Anthology and they look very similar. The frame rate conversion from different sources was done rather well. No speed up for the PAL discs. I don't remember being able to determine the original frame rate of the interviews and other material made for the project. I thought it was done to videotape.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Extra content .. yay.. me want.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I can't imagine them putting in all that extra time and money to restore the whole lot to BluRay/HD quality,
    wouldn't think they'd get the return on it, when the program has already had it's success.
    In this day and age, I could see them streaming the original with extra footage, extended scenes perhaps.
    Some things are better left untouched.

25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I want the whole tv series on vinyl.