The Beatles "Best Pressings" list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fraser, Jun 27, 2003.

1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm somewhat confused by your list as you don't state which of the pressings are Mono or Stereo.

It looks like you're doing mostly Stereo, but the –1 / –1 "Loud Cut" of "Rubber Soul" (that you list as your first choice for that album is MONO (I have two pressings of this) whereas the –3 / –3 that you list right next to it is Stereo.

As an aside, –1 / –1 "Loud Cut" Mono "Rubber Soul" is often slagged which is a disservice, as there are a few tracks on that album that are better mixes, IMO, than the other Mono pressings (I have two UK –4 / –4's and two UK –5 / –5's so I'm not just talking out of my ass in this regard).

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  2. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

[​IMG]

3. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I enjoy the loud cut - it sounds great on tubes/warm systems.

Yes the -1/-1 is Mono. -3/-3 is stereo. Although again, the DESS remix uses the original 87 cd (Canadian Disq Americ) and centered the vocals. Anyone can do it with Adobe Audition. All that record needed.

4. john lennonist

What's "the DESS"?

What's the album? What's the pressing?

5. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

It’s not. It’s a boot that has tried to recentre the vocals via digital means. Stuff we can’t talk about here. :hide:

6. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Google is your friend

[​IMG]

7. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

If by “same process” you mean that there’s a circa 1973 German pressing cut using DMM, that can’t be right - that technology didn’t exist until the early 1980s and EMI Electrola in Germany (one of the earliest adopters) didn’t get their DMM lathe until 1983.

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Never heard the Pro Use. Quite expensive on e-bay (from Japan). Is the HTM cut 80/s cut the green vinyl pressing from UK? Are there two versions of the Black Triangle CD, one with emphasis and one without?, If so, how do you differentiate them. I have 2 Abbey Road -2, -1 First press LPs. I guess I need to look at your suggestions.
    Thanks

9. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I'm surprised you didn't mention MMT. :)

10. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

So is the recent 2018 White Album the best pressing? For CD & Vinyl that is and Blu-ray.

11. Alex Zabotkin

IIRC every British recut starting with -4/-3 was done by HTM at Abbey Road. Some people even prefer the HTM recuts to the original Apple cut (-2/-1).

12. Alex Zabotkin

Only if you prefer the 2018 stereo remix. :D

breakingglass likes this.
  13. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I think for the 2017 Pepper remix and the 2018 WA remix, its best heard on the Blu Ray and vinyl. The CD mastering can be a little harsh (I still like it a lot though)

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I agree with you on the ~2 / ~1. I had a Pro-Use (two copies actually, a still sealed and a play copy) and I finally sold them. I never played the Pro-Use after acquiring two nice UK ~2 / ~1 copies. The Pro-Use seemed to have stripped off a lot of the warmth of the UK and had a really hard, really unpleasant bass (to my ears), especially on Come Together. I'm sure what heard on my system might be ameliorated on warmer systems, but as it stood I wasn't happy with the sound of the Pro-Use.

I haven't had a later HTM to play in the long time and often wonder how those would compare (though I've got a UK blue box back home in storage), but I'm pretty settled / satisfied settled with my early copies of the UK AR.

15. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

A UK -2/-1 is my favourite LP issue of Abbey Road. I sold all my others after obtaining one.

16. Pretty.Odd.

Is there a major difference between the Y&B -1/-1 and the one box? I see a Y&B in front of me in VG++ for $60

17. Vinylsoul 1965

Sorry, which album was this? I know it’s not Abbey Road lol ;)

18. Pretty.Odd.

It was Pepper. I ended up finding a -1/-1 one box pressing at Beatles fest and it sounds just brilliant.

19. john lennonist

What's your (anyone who's heard them) thoughts about the SQ of Philippines Beatles vinyl (if they use original UK stampers)?

20. Vinylsoul 1965

I can't imagine they sound great. I got a coloured vinyl version of Magical Mystery Tour from the Philippines that the stylus runs right onto the paper label if your table does not have an auto return. It was also the noisiest record I have ever heard. It clearly was not from the UK stampers but not sure. Seems like buying a Beatles album made in the Phillipines is like betraying the band lol

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  21. Vinylsoul 1965

Sorry I stand corrected. The copy I have is from Taiwan (1968) and was a dub from an American LP and it is an unofficial release:
    The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

22. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I have Philippines "Rubber Soul" and "Abbey Road" with UK matrix numbers, -5/-3 and -2/-1. Both records sound fine, just like UK ones.

23. Pretty.Odd.

Just got my second copy of the German MMT and this one is extremely noisy just like my last one! Both visually NM. The record looks perfect and shows absolutely no sign of wear. I don't know if its just my luck or if this is a common problem. Both of them have a very noisy side one. Anyone have a similar experience? I haven't cleaned this one yet but the background noise is so strong I can't believe it would make a giant difference. A great sounding version of the album though. Would love to experience a quieter copy!

latheofheaven likes this.
  24. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

If it doesn't look visually like it's been played that much (a lot of needle drop marks in the intro or outro grooves, for example) it could just be dirty. I just got a 1st pressing Herbie Hancock album that visually looked liked it had been played very little. But, the sound was VERY noisy. It was rated VG on Discogs. But, when the seller sent very detailed pictures of the vinyl, I could see that it had very little signs of play. So, I took a chance on it. I cleaned it with my RCM using AI #15 (deep cleaner that needs a rinse) and let it soak. Then I used AI#9 (1-step, basically for a rinse) Let is soak a while. Then gave it a good rinse with laboratory grade purified water. And, WOW! Absolutely silent like it was brand new! Out of over 2200 albums that I own, easily THE most dramatic improvement for any album that I've ever cleaned.

So, give it a very good, thorough cleaning. You might be surprised! :)

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  25. wipster

wipster Forum Resident

I do too, reads exactly the same, sounds excellent!

john lennonist likes this.