The Beatles Decca sessions .......UGH!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by [email protected], Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Can someone explain what 'not arf' from Three Cool Cats means or is a reference to?

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really like the Decca sessions! :shrug:

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I said in another thread, that as much as I love The Sheik Of Araby (one of my favorite early Beatle tracks actually!) with Pete Best at the Decca session, it's either a **** load of drum rolls or a variation of the 'chugga chugga chugga chugga boom boom' beat from Sheik. If I was put in front of a drum kit, even I could probably do the stuff, no sweat.

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I guess I can agree with that one. Ever since the late 1970s when I first heard these tracks, I always thought the best ones were the LenMac originals.

JimC likes this.
  5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

British expression, a contraction of "Not (even) half!", the literal meaning being the exact opposite: "You bet!".

-You like The Beatles?
    -Not 'arf!!

No idea if the boys were referring anything more specific, a film or song etc.

6. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

There were several bootlegs that excluded the Lennon/McCartney originals, so "full sequence" probably means the entire session including the originals.

7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

New Year's Day was never a holiday in the UK until the '70s, correct? So no matter what everyone got up to the night previously, most of the folks in the UK were getting up for work the next day, right?

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh! I always thought they meant that is in "Not half bad" (I.E: Not too bad, but nothing great either).

You learn something new every day around here! :)

dino77 and JimC like this.
  9. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Had he not turned them down they might have gone into obscurity instead of fame. It took George Martin to complete the team, the only way they would have met him was by the Decca rejection.

pantofis, hazard, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Decca tapes reveal that they hadn't yet found their sound. Perhaps Dick Rowe simply found them derivative. However, it's a good raw slice of their history and an early link in their evolution when they were very close to their roots. Some of the covers like "Sure to Fall" mattered enough to them that they were still playing them on the BBC sessions after Beatlemania had hit. The Decca Tapes, the Quarrymen Tapes, the Star Club recordings, and the Tony Sheridan sessions are all vintage Beatles and well worth having for us hard core fans who like to dig a little deeper. (As a side note, the Stones passed their Decca audition. Perhaps Decca was determined not to make the same mistake twice.)

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, they didn't realize it at the time, but being rejected by Decca was the best thing that could happen to them.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, Lewisohn points that out in Tune In. But still, Brian had to have known the boys would have been partaking of more than their usual intake of drink into the wee hours of the New Years Eve.

theMess likes this.
  13. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Two factors of the Decca tapes that I do not like:

1. Pete Best's drumming

2. The hokiness of Paul McCartney's vocals

Everything else is a fun, fascinating listen.

14. When I first heard this material on the Anthology CDs/Video, I wasn't surprised at all that Decca turned them down. They just sound like any other early 60s group here. Either this was just a bad day, or they got a lot better during the next few months.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I remember Lewisohn stating that NYD was a normal workday in England circa 1962, but I couldn't remember what he said about how NYE was viewed in that period.

IIRC, did the McCartney family host an annual NYE shindig that was a big deal?

theMess likes this.
  16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Stones one is clearly better

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yup, the drummer holds them back too.

dino77 likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don't think the Stones had a proper audition with Decca. Allegedly, George had recommended them to Dick Rowe. Shortly afterwards Rowe caught one of the Stones gigs at whatever club they were playing at in London and they were soon signed to Decca. Or so it goes...

Maybe a Stones fan can confirm or debunk?

The Quiet One, theMess and Folknik like this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Indeed...if Decca had signed The Beatles they never would have signed the Stones!

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

And you would be out of business….

21. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct. I just feel sorry for Rowe for all the crap he has taken over the years for being the man who turned down the Beatles when he in fact was correct.

D.B., goodiesguy, Muzyck and 2 others like this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He doesn't get enough credit for signing the Stones. The next best act.

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Had DJ Alan Freeman started saying it by then (it says here that he took over Pick Of The Pops in late '61)?:

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/sounds/10yrcd_29_freeman_nothalf77.mp3

nikh33 and dino77 like this.
  24. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

History will treat him well. The real fans know the score.

Michael P likes this.
  25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yes, if you get the speed-corrected version of these songs they sound more like "The Beatles."

BellaLuna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.