The Beatles Decca sessions .......UGH!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by [email protected], Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I think it's inevitable that it will see an official release, I just wish they'd do it while Pete Best is still alive. Although I think they made the right decision replacing him with Ringo, he played a part in their success, and deserves some acknowledgement.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Didn't all that happen with Anthology 1? I'd like to see it all out too, but Pete did get his acknowledgement and payday with that.

ajsmith and Kim Olesen like this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Agreed. (Though i don't think it will ever be released officially)

4. Neil Anderson

I know, but I think the entire tape should be officially released, in the best possible sound quality. And while it's presumably been voted down up till now, I suspect eventually Apple will want to make some additional money and release it.

ajsmith likes this.
  5. He hasn't been written out of all Beatles histories and was on the first Anthology album (and well remunerated for that), so I'd say he's got as much acknowledgement as he deserves. I mean, at the time he was sacked the band weren't any bigger than the Big 3 or whomever.

6. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

You think Ringo would be ok with releasing it?

7. Neil Anderson

He might be vetoing it, and might continue to do so. Not to be morbid, but when I say "eventually," I mean in the long term.

EddieMann likes this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I doubt Ringo would veto it if the other 3 wanted it out. If anything it shows him in the best light of the 5 of them, demonstrating how much his joining helped the band improve. Now if Pete had a vote I could see him vetoing it (if he didn't need or want the $).

9. Neil Anderson

I won't argue the point. My point was, if for the sake of argument it will be officially released, then I think it should be sooner rather than later, before it's too late for the people who made the recording, and their families, to financially benefit from it.

ajsmith likes this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Ugh! I wish it never existed. I wish someone had burned that tape. Gosh I really like bootlegs but I hate it when people don't sound as good as their original sanctioned releases. Ugh!

Tommyboy and [email protected] like this.
  11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I have tried many times to listen to these recordings.
    The conclusion are always the same:
    I perfectly understand why they were not signed.
    They had yet to sound like themselves and their own songs are too lightweight.
    Incredible what half a year can do to your integrity, if you are pushed in the right direction.
    There are light years between these recordings and the first EMI sessions.

Tommyboy and mmars982 like this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Which reminds me of the insults Pete gets for his "Love Me Do" performance. It really sounds like the song is still "in the works" and Pete's experimenting. From other recordings, he could be pretty steady, so I don't think he was messing up LMD, but trying out some ideas instead. Perhaps not the best time for that practice, but nonetheless, the rest is history.

By the way, here's what Pete sounded like as lead vocalist on Love Me Do...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Indeed. If anything, it's more likely Paul who's vetoing it. I can't imagine he'd be excited to have his awful performance on "Till There Was You" officially released.

I really doubt the complete session will ever be released on an Apple-sanctioned disc, and I'm even more skeptical that it would ever be released as a standalone CD that would draw attention to just the Decca tracks. Historically, Apple has been quite judicious about what they choose to release, and I doubt something this substandard would get the nod. Particularly since the non-Anthology tracks are now in EU public domain anyway, so there's no copyright advantage to be gained by putting them out.

ajsmith and Sean Murdock like this.
  14. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

I haven't read the entire thread, so excuse me if this has already been discussed. There is a Japanese import available for $21 including shipping on Amazon. It appears to be an official release, copyright 2009 by EMI Records Ltd.

The sound is very good mono, it includes 15 tracks and it sounds like the correct speed to me, I do not have a trained ear though. The packaging is good quality and there are extensive liner notes. Unfortunately the liner notes are in Japanese. The reviews on Amazon are very positive about it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It is NOT an official release by EMI. There have been numerous gray-area releases around the world. This is one of them.

dewey02 likes this.
  16. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Thank you for clearing that up.

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Glad to assist.

18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Thankfully a proper decent sounding version of the complete Decca session is finally "out there", which sounds far better than the tracks on Anthology 1 or any other boot.

Pelvis Ressley and IDwithnoE like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There seems to be this cult sentiment that the Beatles haven't done enough for Pete or they don't acknowledge him enough or blah blah blah.

He's a drummer who got fired before the band became famous. He is famous for having been a former member - way more famous than virtually any other pre-fame member of a rock band. He's made a decent living off of being "Pete Best, Former Beatle".

Nobody gets mad other famous bands don't devote a lot of time to their former members - why is Pete such a special case?

Rojo and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. There's no need for an official release. It's readily available to hardcore fans who want to hear it, but it's not on an official release which would come to the attention of casual fans or the general public, which is probably the way the Beatles prefer it at this point.

IDwithnoE likes this.
  21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Because Beatles.

Also the timing of his dismissal will always fascinate. If they'd dumped him in June 1961 or Feb 1962 there would not be half the obsession. But he was sacked on the eve of their official recording career: what ifs and alternate paths cannot help but spring to the mind of the fanciful fan. It will be debated as long as The Beatles are discussed.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My protestations aside, I do get the "because Beatles" side of it - anything that happened with the Beatles goes under a magnifying glass that doesn't occur for other bands.

I just think the notion that Pete hasn't been "suitably acknowledged" is ridiculous. Like I said, he's made a decent living due to his fame - or infamy, I guess - and I think the notion that the Fabs owe him anything else is wrong.

Pete's firing and its repercussions is like the Beatles version of the Kennedy assassination! :laugh:

ajsmith likes this.
  23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Why would Pete veto it? As a release it would only help cement his position as an officially recognised Beatle. The drumming on the audition is never embarassing: his worst recorded performance 'Love Me Do' is already officially released.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'd rather see Apple restore the Star Club tapes (judiciously) and release them rather than the Decca audition tape.

EddieMann and Rfreeman like this.
  25. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Didnt they also give him a big fat cheque?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.