THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

And Paul holding his hand in front of the mic saying "how's the balance, alright?" :laugh:

jricc and Stu66 like this.
  2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

To me it's like the Van Halen M&M's thing: what else did they get wrong!

jas621 likes this.
  3. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I'll admit I forgot it was 6th July 195*7* haha!

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

If I remember correctly, John give a low-voiced 'f-you' to Paul, when he says one more time on "Long & Winding Road".

JL6161 likes this.
  5. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

There are a few f bombs in part 1 if I heard correctly...

Lewisboogie, joy stinson and JL6161 like this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Didn't it say that George was 13 when he joined the band? In 1958 he would have been 15.

7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Paul is clearly stressed these few days in January 1969. We know he hasn't washed for days ("Jock Itch" will be mentioned tomorrow) and is knocking back the alcohol at lunchtimes. No wonder he comes close to losing it over George's painstaking perfectionism. Paul even snaps at John at one point before laughing it off!! In retrospect there was no possibility of doing a paying concert in two weeks time. George walking out was a safety circuit-break for all of them it turned out.

8. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I just realized I always use the UK date format when talking about British bands...

autumn daze likes this.
  9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

And being the recorder and custodian of lyrics! Plus a semi-collaborator in some cases. I loved that "Long and Winding Road" chat, a less (unintentionally) bossy side of Paul.

10. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Do we have any idea why Paul was so stressed?

joy stinson likes this.
  11. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Almost home- gonna watch straight through now that I'm awake, but I might have to fight off the tryptophan...

joy stinson likes this.
  12. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

Just finished part 1. OMG what a gift to a Beatle nerd like me.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Peter Jackson.
    Some thoughts:

Has anyone said "Jaysus Shut up Paul!" to the screen yet?

I find George's musical ideas (before he quits) are all pretty sound!

I remember why I liked John so much when I first became a Beatle fan.

Paul is SO creative and a genius! He can't help himself!

And seeing Linda kinda made me feel sad...

13. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The crazy deadline, the time away from live performance, the loss/absence of Brian? Concern about John bringing relatively little material? They articulate a fair amount of it. I would have been anxious and control freaky too

AlienRendel, cjh, pantofis and 9 others like this.
  14. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

15. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

It’s a great documentary so far. A minor quibble I have is one too many instances of MLH talking about his amphitheater idea. I’d rather have different interactions with MLH shown just for variety's sake

OldShiftyEyes and musicfan37 like this.
  16. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Fair enough.

I wonder if Paul imposed the project because he felt that the group was close to splitting organically in 68 - John working with Yoko, George looking into solo work with Wonderwall, and Ringo branching into films.

He does say he feels he has to be the boss because Daddy (Brian) has gone away now and they're alone in their own Butlins of the doldrums.

Feels like when a good employee is promoted to management above their skill level - hence unease and edginess.

zoltan2357, Sammy Banderas and JL6161 like this.
  17. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I'm only 1.5 hours and I've thoroughly enjoyed it overall thus far. This one is a keeper for repeated viewings from Beatle nerds. Now for family time and all that.

18. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

I’ve often thought that this whole idea would have worked if they simply waited until Ringo was done with his movie and therefore weren’t facing such a tight deadline. The show also could’ve easily occurred anywhere in England, since it would be on the summer or early fall at the latest. Who knows, maybe the time off rejuvenates them. Coming back just 2 1/2 months after the White Album was completed and undertaking such an ambitious project with an unbelievably tight deadline was a definite recipe for anxiety and discord.

51IS, Sean Murdock, Huxley and 16 others like this.
  19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

So, I’m not talking about the shots where the images deliberately do not match the audio - but I am often noticing the matched visual-audio shots seem slightly out-of-sync. It just doesn’t feel right - particularly on the more ghosty-closeups.

20. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

What's the source of the info on Paul's lack of hygiene during 1969 sessions?

21. jricc

jricc Senior Member

A favorite of mine from the Sweet Apple Teax boot.

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I can never understand with two Lennon classics started ,we get I dig a Phony? I sort of Think the whole Idea of a live show kept some better songs off the LP ,The Across the Universe inclusion seems crazy

23. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

So far this film is fantastic and indeed a truly historical document of a truly historical group of people making truly historical music. I’m enthralled and wishing they filmed every recording session they ever had because I would watch them. Isn’t It a Pity made me cry at the end. And this is just Part 1.

24. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

I can feel the intimacy of being a fly in the wall, it's surreal and engrossing. You're there...heartbreaking to see the scene when George left. PJ did great.

25. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed that too.

pablo fanques, Mike M and raphph like this.