THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Let’s concentrate on the sound for a moment...

I think it sounds fab!

Closing credit “Castle/King of Birds” is mixed better than we’ve ever heard it, no? All of the songs sound great. It’s a minor pity there aren't more complete songs. But in general I am content with these great-sounding slightly abridged versions plus video, its a good way to experience it. Maybe someone can comment on the level of demixing-then-remixing done on the music. These mixes sound to me like a real improvement over the booted Nagra non-mixes.

Let’s also give props to Jackson for picking so many of the best music moments. “I’m So Tired”, “Commonwealth”, etc. Really, I think they should let him pick the tracks for future deluxe album/anniversary releases (for Revolver, etc.). I hope he gets a chance to do a Get Back soundtrack album too. He has way more background knowledge and familiarity with the material than does Giles M. And he’s willing to devote an obsessive amount of time to making the best choices.

I wish Giles had the ambition to commission effective and game-changing new demixing software, as Peter Jackson has.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  2. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Perhaps not if you consider that he was on the outs with Patti by having an affair with Charlotte Martin during this time- some of the frostiness undoubtedly showed in public.

joy stinson, Lewisboogie and DK Pete like this.
  3. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Yes, it bloody well does!

4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Some of Peter's choices were haunting-

"In Spite Of All The Danger" to open...

Holy cats! The opening montage is so great!

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't care what anyone says. I found the footage riveting. Observations:

Twickenham was a terrible decision.
    Trying to record a new album and play a concert in two weeks was a terrible idea.
    John looking at the Hare Krishna guy and asking "who's that little old man?" was great.
    Paul saying they should call Jimmy Nicol when Ringo doesn't want to travel for the show, is hilarious.
    John changing the lyrics of "All Things Must Pass" to "a mind can blow those clouds away."
    "Get Back" saves part I, musically and emotionally.

6. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

"I'm scared of me being the boss, and I have been, like, for a couple of years." - Paul.

Boy, a lot of grist for management text books from this segment (58:00). #TeamPaul

7. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

I'm hoping that PART 2 starts with a montage of George wandering the streets of London with the instrumental of "This Boy" playing in the background...:agree:

8. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

Really?? That'd be nearly half the Episode? Or are you just pulling our Collective Leg?

Drifter likes this.
  9. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Can someone with a better sound system than me ascertain whether the songs in the opening ten minutes have been remixed?

Shaddam IV likes this.
  10. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

indeed we’ll said. Funnily enough I picked up and started reading Chris O’Dells book and she talked of this - the very week of George walking out had a deep personal crisis evolving at home. In fact Peter alludes to this in the Things We Said Today podcast - but saying it’s not something they deal with in the film of course. On a human level it greatly enhances the understanding for George and how he was feeling that week. As always real life is more complex.

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Paul: "Clean, though" - :biglaugh::biglaugh:(Poor George, having his wee obsession mocked.)

Very wry. I need to rewind, but I think he says "Nicols."

12. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

I think (maybe due to his heroin use at the time). John was having a tough time bringing ideas forth or finishing ideas. You can see Paul trying to encourage/prod him a few times to no avail. People point out the George/Paul tiff but I think George was more frustrated with John’s lack of engagement. He was also quite condescending himself with George ‘We’re a rock and roll band, son or his waltz with Yoko during I Me Mine. He should have retorted ‘At least I’m bringing songs. What have you got?’ Again, starting this whole endeavor so soon after the White Album sessions was a big mistake, exacerbated by the unrealistic deadline of the live show. Hell, putting on a live show of any kind that quickly after 21/2 years from touring would have been ambitious, let alone a live show of all new material.

13. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Other streaming services put smoking warnings up, too. I believe Netflix does.

BeatleJWOL and 905 like this.
  14. The Fiftieth Beatle

At the very least, I’d love if a few items from the documentary become available for streaming, ‘King of Birds’ being one of them. Was disappointed it didn’t appear on the Let It Be box.

15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

The full versions could very well be extras when "Get Back" comes out on blu-ray.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

When did "Child of Nature" become "On the Road to Marrakesh"?

Sammy Banderas and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. The Fiftieth Beatle

Knew I wouldn’t be the only one picking apart the factual inaccuracies at the beginning. I mean these are pretty easily looked up. Ringo wasn’t in the band during Decca audition, which Epstein secured for them. Also there are things called Google and Wikipedia. But I loved the contents of the doc. Can’t wait for tomorrow!!

jas621 likes this.
  18. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I've never heard the Nagra tapes except for in some YouTube videos. The extended argument between Paul and George was great. It gave plenty more context instead of George just feeling Paul was bossing him around.

Did George lack confidence as a guitarist or did he feel the others didn't think he was a good enough guitarist. I'm referring to when he was talking about Clapton and he said he could now play faster and longer.

Vinyl_Blues and Dan The Man1 like this.
  19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Sorry, thought the wink smiley was clear enough. :) I couldn't resist, due to the legend of the MSH sessions going on forever. :cool:

905 and Adrian Adkins like this.
  20. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I think the ending particularly gave me an understanding of that wild improv with Yoko. Clearly, they did a bit of drinking during lunch. Ringo comments, "I'm so pissed." The whole scene comes off as them trying to play off George's departure as no big deal. Then when George Martin comments that location was no longer their biggest problem it's like their mood does a one eighty. I was particularly struck by the huddled hug between Ringo, Paul, and John. They just looked so lost. That was the moment that brought me to tears.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nice post. The best thing I can add is that the original film shows us, from the
    outside looking in, four guys in a very emotionally mixed situation both musically and it appears to me, personally. This film
    Puts you inside their heads; I found myself feeling what it must have felt like to be any one of them at any given points in time here. Very well done and felt far more real (in bad and good ways) than the original. Jackson has done the Get Back “project” justice on so many levels.

22. The Fiftieth Beatle

I think Paul comes off much better than before. Yes, he could be bossy but at the same time, the band was certainly lacking direction. Getting the entire context makes it possible to be sympathetic to both George and Paul here.

23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I thoroughly enjoyed Part 1. I can definitely see how casual Beatles fans might not be thrilled, but I am so happy Jackson catered this to us Beatlemaniacs. Imagine Jackson tackling the Beatles live documentary…a missed opportunity.

MLH sure likes those cigars. I think he either had one in his mouth or hand at all times.

Seeing George Martin there, it’s a shame he wasn’t allowed to produce the way he did in the early years.

24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Kicking cans, getting chased by fans. Hiding in a dirty movie theater...

25. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

My impression is that George, despite his reputation as the grumpy one, is quite friendly to everyone during these rehearsals. He’s constantly greeting people and offering food. And you can tell that in the beginning, he’s trying to put on a happy face and play ball, but after a while it just becomes too much. I’m not a Beatles scholar, and only recently learned of the tight schedule they were working under… that deadline must have seemed impossible from the start, so the impromptu jams were probably more to relieve tension than anything.

I can’t get over how disinterested Paul and John look during George’s song rehearsals… surprised he didn’t walk out sooner.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021