THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

I’m sure it’s also a big reason Paul by and large worked with a rotating cast of no names in his solo career. He had clear ideas of what he wanted his songs to sound like and while he was open to lyrical suggestions, seemed pretty rigid on arrangement ideas.

2. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I get why people are saying it's hard to get through, but I think that's a good thing. Maybe not from an entertainment standpoint, but it does give a better sense of how it felt being there. When you consider we're getting a condensed version and don't also have to put up with being constantly watched by cameras on cold January mornings, it's easy to understand why it was known as the "winter of discontent".

3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Just watching it now.
    Paul and Georges argument during the rehearsal for Two Of Us is placed in a little more context now.
    Also Paul is a little more bossy boots than I even thought he could be.
    Love John's chilled out approach to everything.
    And the highlight so far is the Get Back song getting born in front of our eyes. An hour into it now.
    Good stuff.

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

And... I'd say it pretty much worked for him. Where he arguably comes up short at times is on substance. John could and George certainly did work with the best in the business and... arguably show how the best studio musicians in the world can put you right to sleep. IMHO of course!

Michael Macrone, JCo, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Loved It

Seemed like plenty of covers included to me

Wish it had included "Get Off" jam that followed "Commonwealth/ Enoch Powell" and that we had gotten footage of "Castle of King of The Birds" jam - which I now imagine does not exist. But so glad they included the audio.

Can't wait for Part 2

ODIrony, Cledwyn, OldSoul and 3 others like this.
  6. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Paul is the type of composer who worked out his songs and their parts in his head and knew how he wanted them and all the parts to sound. Yes, he’s a completely different type of composer than George but John was more like Paul it appears in earlier days though used paul on parts of songs he hadn’t completed, where heat stuck or the middle eighth. Yes, he’s a different type of composer than George. The outtakes of the “I’ll play what you want me to play” scene show John and Paul had worked with George a day and a half to learn the guitar part on the song…and as paul said they were n a time budget to complete the song for the movie and secondarily the record.

7. The Fiftieth Beatle

Oh I’m not knocking him as I enjoy Paul’s solo work immensely. Even when the lyrics are a bit cheesy/half cooked, the arrangements are usually inventive and the songs are catchy.

8. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

My drunk observations:

1. George was grumpy from day one. Bringing in some Hare Krishnas and not really wanting to be there. I don't blame him. Sometimes we just don't want to do what others tell you to.
    2. I Me Mine was maybe a dig at Paul that Paul did not get.
    3. Linda feels even more out of place there than Yoko.
    4. It must have stunk very badly there with all those cigarettes, cigars and Yoko.
    5. Once George left the tension was gone and they could finally get high and rock out.
    6. John was actually very motivated and relaxed it seems.
    7. All those cigarettes really make me want to smoke, especially in my drunk state.
    8. In the end I cried. Bloody Beatles and Alcohol mix!

9. bewareofchairs

I was happy they included a bit of George's Bob Dylan medley. Always thought he sounded beautiful on that audio of Mama You've Been on My Mind, and it seems Peter Jackson agrees.

10. Shaddam IV

It is long but I think, thorough and well done. I think it's going to take awhile to truly absorb and put into context. Pretty sure it will definitive.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  11. The Fiftieth Beatle

What a Dick move.

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

There is one bit that goes against this, though. I forget which song it was but Paul says something about "let's move on to another song" and George says "no, let's keep at this."

joy stinson, batdude98 and Shaddam IV like this.
  13. The Fiftieth Beatle

And Mal Evans on the Long and Winding Road.

damien and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Definitely. And James following Paul over to the piano in the workspace and yakking at him after he walked away was creepy.

15. bewareofchairs

John got help from George too, and your last point is precisely why the project wasn't a good idea in the first place. George had his way of working and he's not going to suddenly turn into a different guitarist to suit a movie schedule. Just as John wasn't going to magically be hugely productive while in the middle of a heroin addiction.

16. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

After viewing part 1, I felt like it was watching genius at work. I loved it, even if it was long, you felt like you were there in the room the entire time. Can’t wait for part 2 after being left on that cliffhanger, even if we all know the outcome.

17. Shaddam IV

I can't remember exactly where either, maybe it's this scene, but they go at it almost as bad as the "I'll play what you want me to play..." scene. I was pretty uncomfortable watching it!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. joy stinson

Agree….Paul’s solo much then and now with the many times belittled wings members all had character and a certain sound and his repertoire of widely varied songs and styles, with substance or not, I find far more interesting than the repetitive sounding musically and thematically restricted solo music of John and George. Of course this is all tastes and opinions in the end. Nonetheless, I enjoyed all the solo Beatles music and am glad each of them continued recording after Beatles breakup and regard their solo music as extensions of their Beatles individual styles that emerged near the end.

51IS, Vinyl_Blues, Cledwyn and 2 others like this.
  19. joy stinson

I found an outtake online after this scene very revealing

Lewisboogie and Shaddam IV like this.
  20. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

From another perspective, though, it fits my thesis. When Paul couldn’t figure out the arrangement of a song, his inclination was to put aside and return to it later, whereas George wanted to keep playing it through until the proper guitar part revealed itself. Paul is impatient throughout the process… the deadline is clearly weighing on him.

Vinyl_Blues, ODIrony, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  21. Shaddam IV

??
    Do share!

Huxley and JCo like this.
  22. bewareofchairs

An interesting interpretation of this from the audio recordings was that this was an attempt to reassure Paul more than anything.

23. The Fiftieth Beatle

He had just spent time with Dylan and the Band, who treated him as an equal. He also marveled how each member of the Band were seemingly equals as far as song production went, which probably highlighted his own perception of being a junior member even further.

24. bewareofchairs

Was it near the end with Get Back? Paul was saying how a certain guitar part was so "4 years ago" or something and George was responding with something like "No it's just a chord that can be used in various ways." That goes down a similar path of George ending with "This doesn't need another guitar then" or in other words "Why am I here?"

25. Shaddam IV

That was it !

bewareofchairs likes this.