THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Apart from it being The Beatles, I just have a strange attraction to time capsules. I even liked the discussion between George and Ringo about what they had watched on BBC2 the night before… and Jackson even provides a clip of it!

2. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Yes, there were certainly politics involved. That exchange was just so startling to me, because I had always assumed that Paul privately resented the lack of Lennon songs at Twickenham, but had never confronted John directly about it… yet there it is, on audio and video.

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Welcome to Peter Jackson Land...

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes indeed, 50 years later they are still trying to dress mutton up as lamb. Things will get a little more user friendly towards the rooftop I guess. But to say 'this has all been done for the Hoffman Forum level Beatle obsessive fans is not accurate'. This new doco has been promoted and targeted towards the general public more than any other archival release.

Willowman likes this.
  5. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Yes, it actually showed how flexible they were and disputes some of John’s later seventies quotes about how Beatles treated yoko.

6. joy stinson

That’s the beauty of digging up these old previously unseen clips.

7. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I love how George just writes both "I Me Mine" and "For You Blue" over the space of two days.

I've just hit the "No Pakistanis" Get Back and Commonwealth -- God, I will never, ever get over having visuals now!!!

8. joy stinson

I saw Paul more as struggling to get them focused and through the project as they were distracted and noodling too much …though he probably went overboard and by this stage which caused them to resent him, …..it was almost too late to get them to focus . Still I’m amazed they later got through making my personal favorite album, abbey road.

9. joy stinson

That’s on one of my vinyl b**ts I bought way back in the mid seventies…

10. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I had to laugh at Lindsay-Hogg's suggesting that a hospital might be used as a venue for the concert:

"What about a hospital? But I don't mean for really sick kids, I mean for kids with broken legs."

Belafan, 51IS, MortSahlFan and 26 others like this.
  11. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Holy crap, the 'Get A Job, Cop!' version of "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" is SO GOOD on film.

What joy...

We are so lucky a Beatles fan made this.

12. joy stinson

Yes, when the movie and album came out, George was my favorite Beatle, as I rotated my favorite Beatle and later my favorite solo Beatle. I enjoyed both those two George songs then was very young, 13, so had to learn who Elmore James was in days before the internet.

Lewisboogie and batdude98 like this.
  13. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Honey Hush! For like, three seconds, but still...

51IS, maclen, JCo and 4 others like this.
  14. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Some thoughts:
    1. At first, I was getting bored, but that's the point, to show how boring Twickenham was. Putting in the yawning scenes was a great idea.
    2. Why didn't the Beatles take a look at Twickenham before Jan. 2, rather than grousing about it and almost leaving on that first day?
    3. I can see why George left. The sessions were largely aimless and boring (except for Paul developing Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road), John was completely passive and even Paul, who encouraged more discipline, was fooling around on many songs. One feeling I have is that when Paul, like a schoolteacher, told John to stop playing because he wanted to discuss an arrangement, was the final straw. I have a feeling George told John he should have been less passive in his reaction to Paul, John chose to remain passive, and that was it for George. Ringo was almost always fun, and I liked that he downplayed the 18 months of tension between the guys to just them being "grumpy."
    4. Interesting that Billy Preston was discussed so early in the proceedings.

Juan Matus, Gavaxeman, damien and 6 others like this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Lindsay-Hogg - the 'upper class twit of the year' .

16. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Definitely, and it was cold in Twickenham, as shown by the big coats people were wearing. It didn't help that they were having to film in the morning either. They were used to working midday and throughout the night.

17. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

This montage style is cool but frustrating.

I'm glad the other Beatles on drums get spotlighted. And Ringo hamming it up on "Suzy"!

George singing Dylan while Linda and Paul hold each other is beautiful.

SHAKIN' IN THE SIXTIES...SHAKIN' IN THE SIXTIES!

Very effective to tease LIB earlier behind conversation and then break it out in full later on in the day. I love the easter eggs Peter uses to connect the story...

Talk about Billy Preston and a guy on piano 'like Nicky Hopkins'...'leave the group then if you don't like it'.

18. bewareofchairs

Paul and Ringo were drinking a lot. John heroin of course. As far as I know, George wasn't doing anything stronger than weed from about 1968-69. He didn't get into cocaine until he went solo.

19. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I wish we could hear Yoko and Linda's conversation. Looks like a nice moment.

John's clowning on the 'read the Record Mirror' "Let It Be" was very cool.

Enter: Mr. James...

20. bewareofchairs

His following suggestion of playing in an orphanage felt like a real accidental Partridge.

hoggydoggy, fogalu, notesfrom and 5 others like this.
  21. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

"'Carolina Moon'...me Uncle Ron's favorite!"

22. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

It looked to me like the other Beatles were also impressed with his performance!

bewareofchairs likes this.
  23. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

"Hi Heel Sneakers"...well, there be the oldies!!

Satisfies me!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Groovy wallpaper in the control room!

51IS likes this.
  25. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

It's just a chord...they're all chords...

It's like drainies...

"You need Eric Clapton"

"You need George Harrison"

Yes, gentlemen, you do, and you're throwing him under the bus over and over again.