THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

John egregiously and paranoidly exaggerated about many things throughout this time and later in the seventies..bless him, greatly loved and still miss him still, but nevertheless, I realized this then from his numerous contradictory interviews and comments.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

My thoughts in short.

Fantastic audio restoration. I am not sure i would have wanted to sit through this if the sound had been like the raw nagra tapes.

I understand how these sessions can be viewed as both “not that bad at all” and “misserable” at the same time. To me it’s like they are both at the same time. Because i’ve just seen 2 hours of it, but how about if i had to play the guitar through 50 hours of it, in real time, with all the chaos and pressure of having to deliver?

As to even getting to eavesdrop into this: I couldn’t take my eyes away from it, and honestly i was afraid of being bored.

The revelation, to me (and students of the nagras would have known this already ofcourse) is that a breakup of the band was discussed already in late 68. And they know it is happening at some point in the future. Sooner or later.

A fascinating view.

3. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Same thing happened with the Spanish subtitles. I ended up removing them.

4. joy stinson

I’ve read long term huge weed useage does this and have seriously wondered if once he started getting older there’s not some possible senility or other physical condition causing this as noticed speech changes a few years ago though they seemed to improve …but I was jumped on by another fan in the forum for suggesting this possibility…All that being said, I realize fans are more conscious of their chronological events than they are and paul has said several times he lives in the present.

joemarine, jas621, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  5. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Tried to gather the family to watch after Dinner , very lucky no one killed me (at least the ones that remained awake). I was outvoted 9 to 1 (all men) , to change to the Cowboys game. Everyone thought it was mind-numbing (people were commenting this was worse then Jackson's King Kong). The 8 women didn't want to watch either, so after a 1/2 hour of the Beatles--They decided a Monopoly game was the better option the football

6. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yes it's possible. I remember reading Paul dabbled in cocaine at various points but wasn't sure if Get Back was one of them.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Isn’t it by Alexis Petridis? He knows his stuff.

Dean R and blutiga like this.
  8. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Stray observation: I found it very funny how Michael kept returning to his torch-lit Arabian Colosseum idea.

51IS, Solaris, Sammy Banderas and 2 others like this.
  9. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

My niece , who is in recovery and clean for 1408 days . Joked to us , that this was my attempt to get her, back to doing cocaine. lol.

10. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Agreed. It was odd which moments they felt people should know the exact dialogue. There were several mumbled or drowned out conversations I'd imagine would be difficult to understand if you weren't already familiar with some transcripts.

11. joy stinson

He claims didn’t then…but some have suggested he had tell tale signs then and even later possibly earlier seventies and in the eighties someone working with him claimed during PTP era which would explain lots of clashes with various producers in that era. Don’t guess we’ll know for sure. Also can’t verify the validity of the source, but a publication noted in Paul’s extreme suicidal depression era in 70 after breakup he snorted heroin some.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    bewareofchairs likes this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

He might know his stuff, but he don’t like The Beatles or PJ. I disagree with his assessment.

Huxley, Drifter, ODIrony and 4 others like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Not only that, but Paul was nixing the chord stab that George thought up for the song when thry first jammed it.

14. joy stinson

A true lol post…only the seriously devoted Beatles fans can get through this….probably was true about the much shorter version way back then. Folks now surely don’t have patience for long things…must always be broken up…even anthology was broken up…

Gavaxeman likes this.
  15. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

but everyday?

notesfrom and joy stinson like this.
  16. joy stinson

Truly proving when Beatles clicked they really clicked but when they didn’t, they were chaos and self defeating.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  17. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Apparently there were many more subtitles (twice or three times as many I can't remember exactly) before the audio de-mixing came into play*. And I agree, there should have been more.

*According to Peter Jackson in the 4 hour Things We Said Today interview

18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Guys, the version of AOU that we heard the band listened, is the wildlife version without effects?

batdude98 and joy stinson like this.
  19. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying this. Can wait for the next two episodes. It's clearly made for long-time fans who are aware of the history of the band and myth of what happened during those sessions. As others have mentioned, casual fans are going to find it to be quite a slog. And non-fans will tune out early on. That's okay, let 'em watch football.

ps: great to see those brief shots of Linda taking it all in and taking photos.

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Was it at your house? I'd have found a different TV if it was.

Drifter, BeatleJWOL and joy stinson like this.
  21. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

sissy warnings - “OH I CAN’T ENJOY THIS BECAUSE of how LIFE. REALLY. WAS!”

22. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

When the location was changed from Rishikesh to Marrakesh. If I recall correctly, it was re-copy righted when they get back book came out in 1970

Lewisboogie and joy stinson like this.
  23. Kim Olesen

Another amazing aspect:

I ended up symphatezing with all 4, but for very different reasons.

Paul, because i’ve had his role in bands.

John, because i’ve tried to do my best at rehearsals, even if all i wanted was qualitytime with the woman i love.

George, because i’ve tried being the odd man out musically. The one who wants the band to gel by getting the members to play emphatically, but my own role not being easy musically.

Ringo, because i’ve tried being in bands where i played my best, while the experience was turning sour.

24. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I noticed this and several other throwback comments that Jackson foreshadows in his opening sequence.

cjh, ODIrony, Solaris and 2 others like this.
  25. Detroit Rock Citizen

What amazes me is how many of the songs they done were on the disc that is on my avatar. Nagras of course but whomever put the disc together
    Once a lot the people who took advantage of the US$1.99 see how much of their childhoods and their kid's childhood is on the channel, I have a feeling they will be sticking around.