THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You have a point about flower pot talk. I dont recall - did she add much significant there?

Her comments other places were sparse enough I could see them simply getting cut.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  2. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

A Beatles fan in a nutshell: Out of 8 hours of previously unreleased footage released, the fan complains, moans and nit-picks about details and what’s wrong. Have you ever heard about the words, ‘positivity’ and ‘gratitude’?

It’s the usual ‘trying to act cool’ syndrome from some posters on here. Being negative from the outset, always makes up for having a constructive conversation.
    Some people just don’t deserve to get anything like this documentary.
    They will complain for years that this and that is not released. When it finally comes, they will rip it to pieces. Very ungrateful, indeed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    shadowlizard, Egilf, Rob6899 and 12 others like this.
  3. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Yes, we are.

If someone reports two people had a conversation, when in fact it was three, then it is at best a fiction. At worst, it’s an outright lie.

Truth is that simple.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Forum Resident

George tried ‘Let It Down’ in one of these sessions, sounded lovely on the boots actually. Surprised it wasn’t included in one of the episodes.

5. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I think the most insightful info about Yoko were the conversations had about her in the board meetings. It seems to me like most of the actual drama took place there, and the Get Back sessions were like an aftershock of those meetings.

Ms. Daisy and Gloi like this.
  6. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I think @Detroit Music Fan has been so, but is being sharply intelligent and critical too, and though I wouldn't go as far, they're entirely right to examine Jackson’s biases, directorial lens and point missing stuff out. Viva'le difference!

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is great if you can present a song in a way that inspires others to come up with great parts. John was good at that. But if others fail to come up with parts to your liking, a writer wanting to get a band to play his song well (operating without a producer) needs to be able to tell the other musicians and singers what to do. And George had the problem that (a) John was never all that great at coming up with instrumental parts for other people's songs, and (b) George has scared Paul off of telling people what to play even on Paul's songs so Paul isn't about to do that on George's song.

George's problem is that he fails to either inspire people to come up with great parts ala John or instruct people to play specific great parts like Paul. With the end result that they rehearse the song aimlessly at 4 separate sessions and George's guidance amounts to "well that still wasn't great, let's try it again"

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

They were trying to work out a counter-point harmony in the middle of Don't Let Me Down.
    For the record, it WAS awful!

9. bewareofchairs

I disagree. George was insecure certainly, but you can tell John and Paul perk up when he throws out a gem like Something even in its unfinished form. When Ringo barely has a piece of Octopus's Garden, George immediately comes over to him and knows how to expand on it. When he showed songs to other people they also recognised these songs were really good right away.

I think the issue was more related to John and Paul's state of minds both as individuals and their obsession with each other at that particular time.

10. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Yeah! He would respond to their joking jabs with a beaming smile. I was getting no impression at all that he was star struck or somehow not confident. Only moment that I saw him uncomfortable was when he told the lads during the 2nd day at Savile Row that it would take until lunch to set everything up for recording.

Martin really made a classic move by suggesting that it would be "silly to change horses midstream" or something to that effect. It is also cool how he was helping out even though he really didn't have to be there.

Ms. Daisy, jas621 and Chrome_Head like this.
  11. bewareofchairs

He definitely was. There's an interview where George points out that he was aware the spiritual nature of his music was a different vibe to what The Beatles were going for, and that's why he tended to push songs like For You Blue, Old Brown Shoe, Here Comes the Sun, Something, etc. which were light and poppy instead.

Derek Gee and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. Detroit Music Fan

I don’t need to be grateful for more product from Walt Disney and Apple Corps. And Jackson doesn’t get kudos from me for editing Yoko out of the conversation.

Smash and JDeanB like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I find it interesting that a project featuring the band all playing together on the material again, and had 3 producers in Johns, Martin and Specter ultimately yielded an album that isn't very loved by a lot of Beatles fans.

Who cares? Yoko wasn't part of the band.

14. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Linda and Ringo were at lunch too.

15. jas621

jas621 Forum Resident

In rewatching episode 1, what stood out to me was George's final response in that "discussion", which, (paraphrasing), I'm not sure you know what you want, and that's the problem. Also, people keep pointing at George taking "offense", but, Paul comes off very defensive, too, saying a couple of times, "that's what you always say" when they have these type of discussions.

16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with it. It was a flowerpot men conversation. And the cafeteria scenery is what - AI induced? It's a conversation we weren't supposed to hear anyways. It's not like she was airbrushed out of a scene. If Linda was inserting herself into a John/Paul audio conversation, I'd have no problem with her being edited out either.

stevenson66g, alchemy and Wil1972 like this.
  17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Exactly. Even when songs come quickly and easily it isn’t actually magic. It is payoff for years of blood, sweat, and tears. Sometimes songwriters (like Paul circa Jan 1969) get into “the zone” and it comes pouring out. To the uninitiated, it looks easy, but it isn’t. What you are actually witnessing is the culmination of a lifetime of obsessive musical creation, colliding with a moment of inspiration. The looming deadline probably doesn’t hurt either.

Ms. Daisy, Don Lucho, Kevin j and 2 others like this.
  18. Detroit Music Fan

What’s been reported is she basically agreed with Lennon, of course. But doesn’t it say something that it was two people who convinced Paul to look at how they were treating George, not just John. It wasn’t just a meeting of the band’s “leaders.” It was also Yoko. That’s significant.

goer, Lost In The Flood and Vagabond like this.
  19. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Everyone has their own take...I am grateful for the quality of the film...this is 50 years ago for God's sake! I find it absolutely entertaining. This is six hours of film that I or anyone has seen before! It's the Beatles.....what more would you want? You could see the end was near or perhaps it has already happened! Oh what could have been! Love it!

20. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I think I'm hitting my limit on this thread for a few minutes.

All parties have a point, but I need a break...

vince, Freebird and DK Pete like this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Great so he can do it sometime. But their inability to come up with anything George liked for ATMP left it to him to come up parts he liked for them. And he failed to do that take after take, day after day.

BellaLuna and maywitch like this.
  22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

What bothered me most about the cafeteria section was the visuals - what the **** was that lazy ass crap?

Come on PJ, this is The Beatles - not four jerks!

OneStepBeyond, goer, Drifter and 3 others like this.
  23. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Paul liked Yoko. That’s why he played drums when she was on vocals.

24. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Well, George has always been a bit elusive to me. I never could 'get' his personality. But watching him, listening to him - particularly listing to him play - enabled me to finally glimpse what he was about. Any time he was on the guitar really caught my attention. I can't really explain it, but I just found myself...you know how John was looking at him when he was playing the Dylan song? That was me! lol. And when Paul is creating Get Back? He's almost got the body constructed...and he just needs a heartbeat ... and George is like, yawning, yeah, whatever. Oh, that sounds nice. Here, have this riff. Bam! Song starts breathing. That's it. That's Get Back right there. And I'm thinking ok, that's George Harrison. Got it. Obviously, Get Back didn't end there and they had to work to make the song what it truly became, but that's where it came to life. Also, I just saw for myself how difficult a situation he was in, caught between two massive personalties, very tricky. Plus, I agree with him about the boat and being stuck with all those people for 2 weeks! lol.

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Picasso said "Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working". Not that I'm comparing Macca to Picasso. But Macca had an undeniable work ethic.

I thought Macca was mostly very gracious to Yoko from what we saw.