THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Count me 100% in that club too.

Paul H, Bern and Gloi like this.
  2. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

I don't know if I'd put any of them down for actual extroverts. I don't know that Paul and Ringo were particularly energized being around people. I think they were all the sort who liked to learn new things and were interested in people but needed their own time to re-group, re-energize and decide what to do with what they've learned in their interactions with new people.

3. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I think this is very true. Same for Ringo leaving before. I feel like it was more healthy for them to make their feelings known than continue to bottle it up, even if it was uncomfortable to acknowledge those feelings. Look at him by the end!

notesfrom likes this.
  4. bewareofchairs

Paul is interesting because aside from Linda I don't recall him having a big social life. He was actually pretty isolated a lot of the time, but he obviously became energised performing in front of a crowd. Maybe that was his version of controlled social interaction.

ETA: I don't know why I put this in past tense, lol. I assume he's still like this.

theMess, maywitch and Ms. Daisy like this.
  5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Like all labels, they only go so far. But there’s no way Paul could be a pure extrovert and put in the kind of time he has writing alone.

theMess, maywitch, BellaLuna and 3 others like this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Spector overproduced stuff on Let It Be as well, so there's that side of the coin. Spector liked to record everyone live in the studio for the non-vocal tracks, even with the big band arrangements.

ODIrony likes this.
  7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Paul and Ringo were more acclimated to showbiz than John and George.
    But Paul was a lot more nervous as a performer than he lets on.

Monasmee likes this.
  8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Fair perspective. Mine is a working theory because this seems like new territory. What may be telling though is how each of them chose to be interviewed post breakup; some before a live studio audience, other interviews one on one.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    bewareofchairs likes this.
  9. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I'm looking at you, John! :)

Ms. Daisy and bewareofchairs like this.
  10. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Currently learning about early video formats and the ilk. Didn`t know that VCR and VHS aren`t the same. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, what is that camera Ringo uses (and of which film was used by PJ)? If that was a video one it was VERY early.

BTW in the german wiki for home-recording video systems it is mentioned that John and Paul were amongst the first prominent people who had a home video recorder. Seems to have been a Loewe Opta Optacord 500, ca. 1965. They thought they were having a prototype but it was actually on the market by 1961. I think it also could have been a UK-based Telcan (1963) as on the english wiki this is called one of the earliest.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  11. bewareofchairs

I think the thing with George was that he didn't have the same experience with production the other two had. Paul went through his Sgt. Pepper phase and came down from it. Once he got ATMP out of his system, he had a more simple approach with Living in the Material World.

I find it a little frustrating that George Martin didn't really "get" him because his production for George's songs on Abbey Road was ideal.

musicfan37 likes this.
  12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Makes one wonder about their personal film collections - imagine the fun watching them! Ringo is supposed to have a large personal photo collection. We know that Paul has one million 'items' in his personal archive. Also, there's the tapes that John and Paul made at Kenwood where they just chatted and made sounds and conversation, like an early version of a podcast. Wonder what happened to those?

Ms. Daisy and Ken Wood like this.
  13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Paul McCartney made an experimental Christmas mixtape for the Beatles in 1965

14. bewareofchairs

It was really cool to see the footage Paul took in India in such high quality. They should give their film collections to Peter Jackson, lol.

theMess, Ms. Daisy, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  15. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

They needed a manger to help their ideas come to life. If Brian were alive the logistics would have been taken care of. I am convinced there would have been a PA, mixing board, and eight track at Twickenham when they arrived. Instead, all that was just being installed as they left. They might have worked very differently if things were set up for them when they got there. They might have not have been so aimless.

16. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Oh wow, what a treasure! I never knew about this. Amazing to think it's survived all these years. Gotta laugh at his intro to the Stones, 'That group that was once popular in the 60s". Paul having no idea back then of what the future had in store, the incredible longevity of both groups.

ZackyDog and Monasmee like this.
  17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I wonder why Neil wasn't approached to manage the band. He certainly had the experience of being there for the whole history of the band and seems like someone who could have slipped into the role quite comfortably. They all trusted Neil too. Maybe they did mention it to him and he turned it down. There was always going to be a problem bringing a new person into the fold in such an important role.

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Not so sure here - it was really only supposed to be for a (IIRC 30 min) docu-type TV-special to precede the TV live show. For THAT purpose we can be thankful that so much was filmed and recorded. They could have called it a day after two days or so, saying "we got enough for that". Yes, Twickenham was upgraded by and by and in the end they did`t even use all the equipment they got there (so you said and so I read too).

BTW Apple was upgraded too - with instruments! You can see them carrying another organ in (with a little help by John Lennon, whom I expected to be the least to do mundane physical tasks) and then there is the stylophone (easier to carry), some african looking string instrument that Kevin tries to string and a very strange looking percussion thingie like a number of small cymbals on a stick. What is that stuff?

Tom Daniels and Gila like this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Didn't he say in ' Abthology' that he agreed to run things " until they got somebody" to really run it?

20. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Neil was ill and had to have surgery at that time I`ve been told by another member here. Very interesting tidbit that I never knew.

JosepZ and edenofflowers like this.
  21. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Also, as their friend and original roadie, I don't think they would have been able to take him seriously as a manager al la "Leave the girls at home, lads" variety.

theMess, jesse, JosepZ and 3 others like this.
  22. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Glad you like. Paul’s “OK OK” intro to Martha & the Vandellas’ Heat Wave reminds me of the opening to Nothing For Free.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  23. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Not to mention he was kind of Pete Bests step dad. I don't know how that played out though.

ODIrony and notesfrom like this.
  24. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

"The story behind the disc, whose contents have been uploaded to YouTube courtesy of music biographer Simon Wells, saw McCartney visit music publisher Dick James' studio so he could transfer a tape onto disc and then gift it to his bandmates."
    Source: Listen to Paul McCartney's 1965 Christmas Album 'Unforgettable'
    Sounds like Wells got a tape source - this does not sound like a acetate. Is this complete? Seems short and missing the supposed crazy skits that Paul remembers recording. Anyway, cool stuff and good taste selection. Off topic, yeah, I know.

theMess and Monasmee like this.
  25. bewareofchairs

Wasn't Neil also very busy with Apple? Based on Derek Taylor's recollections of him during those times I don't think he would've wanted to be their manager.

ZackyDog and edenofflowers like this.